New Minecraft Block Lets Fans Design Adventure Games

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
This looks like a fun addition to what Minecraft can do. Soon, someone will recreate a Zelda game in it :D
Too bad I never got into Minecraft. Or Zelda.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
This is a wonderful idea for the game based on one other addition. Writable books. Even if you have to limit what can be written to 125 or 256 chars, you need a means to be able to guide chars along quest lines. You can take those books, give them to NPCs and even have them work as NPC dialog and it works in conjunction with NPC trading and this block. But until questing/trading is also accessible in conjunction with the abilities for players to craft dialog Narrative it will not be enjoyable.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I really, really, really, really, really, really love this addition, but at the same time, I hate it.

I'm already making a map for the upcoming adventure mod (ever since the first snapshot that added that mod) and I've done so many things in so many over complicated ways because there was no other way. Now I could cut my towers diameter in half and still have all the things.

I could remove my equipment dispenser with life counts, the melon farms, exp stations and even some chests... I can't wait for this to come out. Luckly, I have many rooms saved as schematics in MC Edit so I could start the map from scratch and still finish faster than now because I wouldn't need to plan out all the redstone (which is the most annoying and most time consuming thing for me)

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
What's wrong with dispensers? They can hold XP potions as well.

Unless I'm missing something, this sounds pretty useless.

Callex

Oct 20, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:

It's not just item spawning or xp commands; you could move players, spawn mobs etc, or other functions that would otherwise be done in the server console or a mod pack. The idea is that you could download full campaign-style adventure maps with quests, rewards, story progression etc, all coded using these blocks and some clever redstone circuitry.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I foresee two big questions:

Will you have to stock the block with what you want it to give to players, or does it just create the objects on command?

How difficult will it be to create and operate the block?

If the answer to the first is that it generates whatever you want to give to the player, and the second is "reasonably straightforward," this would be really nice simply for getting materials that are a pain to farm in non-creation mode. Obsidian comes to mind.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Callex said:
CardinalPiggles said:

It's not just item spawning or xp commands; you could move players, spawn mobs etc, or other functions that would otherwise be done in the server console or a mod pack. The idea is that you could download full campaign-style adventure maps with quests, rewards, story progression etc, all coded using these blocks and some clever redstone circuitry.
Well, I guess if you wanted to be really clever it might be useful. But don't forget there are mob eggs that can be shot from dispensers, and powered rails can get people from A to B relatively fast.

I'd rather Jeb added some more end game stuff for survival.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Callex said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Well, I guess if you wanted to be really clever it might be useful. But don't forget there are mob eggs that can be shot from dispensers, and powered rails can get people from A to B relatively fast.

I'd rather Jeb added some more end game stuff for survival.
It basically allows you to program whatever you want within the games limitations. Impressively good tool for much faster adventure campaign creation.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Buretsu said:
viranimus said:
This is a wonderful idea for the game based on one other addition. Writable books. Even if you have to limit what can be written to 125 or 256 chars, you need a means to be able to guide chars along quest lines. You can take those books, give them to NPCs and even have them work as NPC dialog and it works in conjunction with NPC trading and this block. But until questing/trading is also accessible in conjunction with the abilities for players to craft dialog Narrative it will not be enjoyable.
There's already a mod that allows you to convert maps into written messages. Plus, there are always signs that you can place. I've also seen some adventure maps include cutscene videos for the player to play when prompted.
Really I dont get this. Damn near any time someone suggests something that minecraft should do but doesnt its practically a requirement for someone to chime in "Theres a mod for that"

Im sorry but mods are not the solution. Yes its nice to have the freedom to mod the game but simple fact is mods suck. The only "mod" I use is photo realism texture pack and even that breaks too often, requires a second program to run to launch the game and has even caused me to stop playing for periods because the investment of time to "fix" it is not worth the reward of playing it. If I wish to play a game the last thing in the world I want to do is have to spend hours trying to repair and update my installation because the most recent patch broke the mod. Whats worse is finding a mod you like having to rely on the mod creator who may well lose interest in minecraft and stop supporting it.

So when I say I want minecraft to have writable books and user generated narrative, I am not suggesting I want some modded work around to kind of accomplish that. I want true native intended support for it because I cant rely on other random players for that content, but I can count on Mojang to support what they release.

I know I am not the only one who feels this way about modding either.

As it relates to this planned feature, It seems that adding this without adding the ability to write books properly would be a borderline design flaw. Can you have a quest, without direction and motivation? Doesnt that become more of an assignment or a chore?

Also... to the other poster.. I think the block will act more as an extension of NPC trading. You "give" the block a specific item, it dispenses the assigned reward for that item.

I do find it interesting to think how holding this block contingent on redstone triggering could create a very rudimentary form of scripting. With that scripting it allows you to toggle potential dialog trees on/off based on properly met conditions. Only thing I dont like about that possibility is how much of an annoying PITA redstone is to work with.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
viranimus said:
Hey...

You do know books are coming in the next update right? Writeable and all.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Wow. It doesn't seem capable of much on its own quite yet, but then again, neither does Redstone and look what people do with that.

This is going to be interesting... I wonder if it'll get released in a snapshot.

ekbi1954

Jul 28, 2012
I really, really, really, really, really, really love this addition, but at the same time, I hate it.

ekbi1954

Jul 28, 2012
What @cowell said. If the game had been sold to us like this, I might have been interested. I still may one day pick it up from the bargain bin. But whatever the merits of the game, it was pushed as mere titillation and, frankly, there are cheaper and more effective ways to get that than spending 40 quid on a game.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Sober Thal said:
Ok, I have to ask...

Do people really think that these amazing vistas from fantasy books ect are made block by block? Is it so odd to think they are just clever programmers scripting these worlds out? Or do you really think they have the free time and devotion to do these things piece by piece?

The Song of Fire and Ice guys appear legit enough... but come on. This is just getting ridiculous.
There are huge projects out there made block by block. The Pokemon thing, for instance, unless I'm mistaken.
Edit: Nevermind, mistook the SoIaF project.

OT: It's still the same problem as always: It very much seems like they have no idea whatsoever where they're headed and just a) copy mods to innate stuff (which is fine, but they could at least give credit) and b) throw out some random block that changes much of the game but hardly has any other features correlating with it (i.e. narrative NPCs/books, quest management).

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lil_Rimmy said:
viranimus said:
Hey...

You do know books are coming in the next update right? Writeable and all.

Nope, wasnt aware. I dont really follow the development very closely. Its good to know and reassuring because it is something that is needed because if you add one, you need to add the other.

So thank you for letting me know that.