New Minecraft Block Lets Fans Design Adventure Games

Cobalt Lion

Nov 4, 2010
This looks interesting, I just hope it's not so complicated that you have to watch a dozen poorly made YouTube videos just to learn the basics of it.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Buretsu said:
Haven't people already been doing this with Minecraft?

I guess this might make it easier for them, perhaps.
Yes they have, its called 'dispensers.' However this allows for a much more precise thing I.E. You kill a 'boss' and then flip a switch, once flipped you gain a sword or whatever, similair to with dispensers, but I'm curious as to whether you can have it give you two things instead of one. So you kill the 'boss' and then gain a sword + experience. I suppose its just a easier way to streamline dispensers but I still don't see the point in it. Its like the Redstone Lamps, yeah, its cool that it can be turned on and off but why did we need another block for it?

I suppose this also allows for you to teleport players instead of lengthy minecart ride but other then a few things, it fails to be anything useful past teleporting players or giving EXACT amounts of XP.

Sober Thal said:
Ok, I have to ask...

Do people really think that these amazing vistas from fantasy books ect are made block by block? Is it so odd to think they are just clever programmers scripting these worlds out? Or do you really think they have the free time and devotion to do these things piece by piece?

The Song of Fire and Ice guys appear legit enough... but come on. This is just getting ridiculous.
Their made block-by-block, from what I've seen, programming and scripting in amazing fantasy vistas usually doesn't come out right. There was a team who completely remade Tolkien's Lord of the Rings world, block by block with distances fully calculated, so if it was seven miles in the book it was X amount of blocks. OF COURSE the wilderness [which is most of the map] wasn't exact to the books but any actual locations were. You do need to handcraft these vistas or else they don't come out exactly how you want. MCediting and copy / pasting buildings can be done [I've done it] but for something as varied as both Lord of the Rings and Fire and Ice, you need to handcraft and capture the feel of the books / movies to get the point across.

Lil_Rimmy said:
viranimus said:
This is a wonderful idea for the game based on one other addition. Writable books. Even if you have to limit what can be written to 125 or 256 chars, you need a means to be able to guide chars along quest lines. You can take those books, give them to NPCs and even have them work as NPC dialog and it works in conjunction with NPC trading and this block. But until questing/trading is also accessible in conjunction with the abilities for players to craft dialog Narrative it will not be enjoyable.
Hey...

You do know books are coming in the next update right? Writeable and all.
Do you know if the books actually allow you to write in them like a journal and then open / read it, or is it just a way to name books?

I honestly don't get the point of this, other then giving exact XP out or teleporting players, what is there other then a glorified dispenser?

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Aprilgold said:
Buretsu said:
Haven't people already been doing this with Minecraft?

I guess this might make it easier for them, perhaps.
Yes they have, its called 'dispensers.' However this allows for a much more precise thing I.E. You kill a 'boss' and then flip a switch, once flipped you gain a sword or whatever, similair to with dispensers, but I'm curious as to whether you can have it give you two things instead of one. So you kill the 'boss' and then gain a sword + experience. I suppose its just a easier way to streamline dispensers but I still don't see the point in it. Its like the Redstone Lamps, yeah, its cool that it can be turned on and off but why did we need another block for it?

I suppose this also allows for you to teleport players instead of lengthy minecart ride but other then a few things, it fails to be anything useful past teleporting players or giving EXACT amounts of XP.

Sober Thal said:
Ok, I have to ask...

Do people really think that these amazing vistas from fantasy books ect are made block by block? Is it so odd to think they are just clever programmers scripting these worlds out? Or do you really think they have the free time and devotion to do these things piece by piece?

The Song of Fire and Ice guys appear legit enough... but come on. This is just getting ridiculous.
Their made block-by-block, from what I've seen, programming and scripting in amazing fantasy vistas usually doesn't come out right. There was a team who completely remade Tolkien's Lord of the Rings world, block by block with distances fully calculated, so if it was seven miles in the book it was X amount of blocks. OF COURSE the wilderness [which is most of the map] wasn't exact to the books but any actual locations were. You do need to handcraft these vistas or else they don't come out exactly how you want. MCediting and copy / pasting buildings can be done [I've done it] but for something as varied as both Lord of the Rings and Fire and Ice, you need to handcraft and capture the feel of the books / movies to get the point across.

Lil_Rimmy said:
viranimus said:
This is a wonderful idea for the game based on one other addition. Writable books. Even if you have to limit what can be written to 125 or 256 chars, you need a means to be able to guide chars along quest lines. You can take those books, give them to NPCs and even have them work as NPC dialog and it works in conjunction with NPC trading and this block. But until questing/trading is also accessible in conjunction with the abilities for players to craft dialog Narrative it will not be enjoyable.
Hey...

You do know books are coming in the next update right? Writeable and all.
Do you know if the books actually allow you to write in them like a journal and then open / read it, or is it just a way to name books?

I honestly don't get the point of this, other then giving exact XP out or teleporting players, what is there other then a glorified dispenser?
You can write in the book, 50 pages with a neet little GUI. You don't even have to finish writing it in one sitting - the book only becomes uneditable after you put the authorname and title on it as far as I know.