New MMO Brings Old Testament Online

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New MMO Brings Old Testament Online

And today, God said, "let there be an MMO."

Browser-based MMOs cover a wide range of genres, but none have ever attempted to make religious texts interactive. That's all going to change, as German developer FiAA GmbH has announced The Bible Online, an upcoming browser-based MMO that will put players in the middle of events from the Old Testament.

Even though this is an MMO/RTS, players don't take on the role of God. Instead, you get to play as Abraham - as well as his offspring Isaac and Jacob - as they set out for the promised land of Canaan. During gameplay, players build up villages, manage resources, and go to war (presumably to bring religion to the unbelievers).

According to Dr. Alan Kim, president of GmbH, The Bible Online, "is developed for players of all ages to easily get closer to the Bible, while enjoying the game. We plan to service the game in most of the European languages by the end of the year. We will also develop following chapters to cover all the stories of the Bible."

Players will apparently get to "reenact and witness" events from the Book of Genesis, though exactly how interactive moments like Caine's murder of Abel and the Great Flood will be (or if they'll even show up) remains to be seen. Meanwhile, how this game will make its money isn't entirely clear: presumably a monthly subscription fee or micro-transactions will be used, though <a href=http://bible.cc/matthew/21-12.htm>neither seems terribly appropriate for a game based on bringing people closer to the Bible.

I can't see the The Bible Online's development ending well. It's only a matter of time before someone condemns it as a mockery of religion or something, thus leading to a ton of controversy that this game likely doesn't reserve. Personally, I plan to boycott the game since it won't let me play as a vengeful god (thus denying me the opportunity to rain down destruction on Sodom and Gomorrah), but I suspect a lot of people are going to avoid it for other reasons.

Source:<a href=http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/111/1115971p1.html> Gamespy

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
...Wait what, hold up, this will only end in tears and heartache.

I mean, let be honest, this won't do any good, why is it that people try to bring Religon into games? To me that sounds like throwing a jug full of Kerosene into a Fireplace.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
vansau said:
but I suspect a lot of people are going to avoid it for other reasons.
Including the indisputable fact that the game will be terrible.

There has never been a good religion-based game that either wasn't an artistic experiment (in which case it doesn't really count) or a joke product like that theistic beat-down flash game Adult Swim made. And this is coming from a Catholic.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
So they make an RTS game about the Bible, but unlike any other RTS game out there, you're not God?
That actually kind of sounds interesting. Maybe they won't force God on you. Sure, it would be ridiculous if it didn't, but that would be kind of cool if you played through the whole game uncertain of whether or not what you were doing was right, as you don't know for sure if there's a God. It would be just like *gasp* history.
Of course, I doubt the game will do anything cool like that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Isn't the Old Testament the one with all the really nasty shit in it (that a lot of people seem to conveniently brush over)?

Anyway, I'm sure this will be a huge hit with... ummm... someone?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Oh gods, while I was reading this article there was a little add underneath for some game called Satan's Retrievers or something. I laughed hard. Sweet sweet irony.

Anyway, the Old Testament is full of hardcore action, so it shouldn't be too hard to make an awesome game out of it. Shame that there's always this Deus Ex Machina...

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
What the...? That is really weird. Could be interesting to see what it plays like though. I just wonder where the MMOG part comes in.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
as a Christian, i applaud any attempt to get people interested in God, and groan with shame at what this will make people think of us.
Its like Christian rap music. far enough, bringing Christianity into the 21st Century, but please, people, this stuff isnt going to work.
although people, bear in mind that the first (IV) star wars was funded by the Church - until it got so rich that it didnt need their moneay

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Woodsey said:
Isn't the Old Testament the one with all the really nasty shit in it (that a lot of people seem to conveniently brush over)?

"Build a quarry, now spend 50 stone to anounce a public stoning of imhrahal, who ate a shell fish and wore two kinds of fibre in his vest. +1 faith"

"Spend 50 wood to burn heretical books that denounce the holy idea of the sun going around the earth. + 1 infulence"

"Spend 50 gold to hire the inquisition to burn 20 heretics. + 10 fear"

"Order troops to burn down the house of a worker who doesnt believe. +1 fear"

"You discover Jaheeb, the capital of a nation that follows a different religion, what do you do:
A:Burn it
B:Burn it and loot it
C:Invade and force your religion apon them
D:persecute people who follow that religion
"

I know christianity is a great little old religion now compared to the dark days but this game will iether by lying to people or making christianity look violent (because back then pretty much everything was). Im going with the former.

EDIT: These examples are jokes and i know christianity is nothing like this today. Lets be honest a lot of the old testement is violent and intolerant.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
BiscuitTrouser said:
Woodsey said:

"Build a quarry, now spend 50 stone to anounce a public stoning of imhrahal, who ate a shell fish and wore two kinds of fibre in his vest. +1 faith"

"Spend 50 wood to burn heretical books that denounce the holy idea of the sun going around the earth. + 1 infulence"

"Spend 50 gold to hire the inquisition to burn 20 heretics. + 10 fear"

"Order troops to burn down the house of a worker who doesnt believe. +1 fear"

"You discover Jaheeb, the capital of a nation that follows a different religion, what do you do:
A:Burn it
B:Burn it and loot it
C:Invade and force your religion apon them
D:persecute people who follow that religion
"

I know christianity is a great little old religion now compared to the dark days but this game will iether by lying to people or making christianity look violent (because back then pretty much everything was). Im going with the former.

EDIT: These examples are jokes and i know christianity is nothing like this today. Lets be honest a lot of the old testement is violent and intolerant.
If the game was like that, I would so play it. And i cant really see how this and well.

wraithian

May 6, 2010
This is the worst idea for a video game in the history of bad planning... Christians will be mocked for the ridiculousness of the game, and people who hate the game for its merrits will be persecuted as bashing Christians... No one wins.

Meanwhile, I will sit in my throne of skulls, giggling maniacally as this thing implodes.
*drums fingers together, "Good...Good...* *evil grin*

Seriously though... I do find it amusing when a bad concept implodes furiously.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Out of curiosity, do even Christians play these terrible bible games? None of the ones I know do, I don't think there is a market for this like they seem to think there is.

breese

Jun 7, 2010
Sooo just thought I'd point out that this game isn't actually "Christian". It's more accurate to say that it's Jewish. Anything pre-New Testament, especially Genesis was originally (and remains to be) part of the Torah, the Jewish "bible".

Yeah this is probably being made by some Christians, but I doubt it will have any Christian Dogma in it.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I'm guessing that slaughtering the (heathen, of course) inhabitants of fertile areas to take their land because the sky-king said it's fine and dandy will be an essential element of play. No?

Well, then, at least we can count on the ability to subject our followers to inane laws about shellfish, pigs, and sex (the trifecta that matters most). Really? WTF?

Surely we can magically feed our followers without planting any crops just by making wishes to the sky-king - it will be like manna from heaven. Seriously, no mana?

Jesus Christ! Might as well play Civilization V with its damnable celebration of innovation, technology, and progressive values.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Hopefully there will be a sequel to teach all the little gullible kiddies about the Spanish Inquisition, comfy chairs and all. Or will Scamga start scamming the weak minded by making 'Godville'?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
breese said:
Sooo just thought I'd point out that this game isn't actually "Christian". It's more accurate to say that it's Jewish. Anything pre-New Testament, especially Genesis was originally (and remains to be) part of the Torah, the Jewish "bible".

Yeah this is probably being made by some Christians, but I doubt it will have any Christian Dogma in it.
It's called "The Bible Online", and they're planning to incorporate other chapters from the Bible in the future. Pretty sure it's Christian.