New Modern Warfare 3 Screens Bring the Grey

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I'm surprised they even bothered to give those screenshots. They don't really say anything about the game other than it looks like MW2 and that as far as we can tell, in that particular level, it's mostly grey. Well done.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
markisb said:
i have never seen a game so grey.

on a lighter note they have finally gotten rid of that brown people have been complaining about.
Somebody never played Gears of War 1.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Am I the only one that doesn't actually mind? So what if it looks like... y'know... an actual battlefield.

War zones aren't filled with flamboyant coloring and high contrast filters. They're depressing, dank, grizzly, frightening places to be. Which is why you don't have tactical combat situations in the flowery mushroom kingdom.

The grey graphics do wonders for setting the tone. /care if it looks to depressing or whatever the reason for you, it's SUPPOSED to look like this.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
Baresark said:
The thing I hate the most about CoD games? See that last image where you can see far down the street? It would be awesome to go exploring in such a world. Maybe shoot down a couple of blocks and flank the enemy. This could be an awesome map. But, it's all a lie. You will come across a waste high pile of garbage you cannot pass and are forced down an alley that will be filled with enemies, yada yada yada.

But, the character models do look pretty good. Also, not that I am a huge fan of greys or anything, but if you have ever been to NYC on a cloudy day, it is pretty damn grey.... though there are lots of other colors still. Why do devs always think concrete buildings are grey? It's simply not true at all. And they are certainly not a single shade of grey. It's like they live in a vacuum.

leet_x1337 said:
Well, all the enthusiasm I had for voting with my wallet against Battlefield 3 and Origin just went down the drain. I think I'll be voting for Skyward Sword instead.
Booyah! I'm with you on this. 50 hours they say, that is a hefty Zelda game. Definitely time to dust off the old Wii.
I like that first image.

They managed to turn sand-coloured polished granite into, well, grey-brown.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Three screenshots are indicative of the whole game, and don't need context for us to judge them. /internetlogic

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
All the grey wouldn't have anything to do with all the smoke from urban combat in the 3rd screen. Seems the sky is filled with smoke so it'd make some sense the light carries a grey hue to it. Still looks like MW2.5 to me.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Spineyguy said:
Which is exactly why Kirby's Return to Dreamland will be the game I will buy instead of this, let me know how you enjoy your "realism" while I play a fun game instead.
Because it was a proven scientific fact that if you're playing MW3 or BF3 you actually aren't allowed to have fun.

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Spineyguy said:
Which is exactly why Kirby's Return to Dreamland will be the game I will buy instead of this, let me know how you enjoy your "realism" while I play a fun game instead.
Because it was a proven scientific fact that if you're playing MW3 or BF3 you actually aren't allowed to have fun.
Fun is a subjective concept.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if you conducted a study using an MRI scanner and found that games like CoD and BF produce a greater stress response than, say, Mario Galaxy, or Kirby, or Minecraft.

I play games for their therapeutic quality, be it the relieving of stress through controlled violence, the satisfaction and feeling of progression of an RPG or RTS, or the gentle, slow-paced frolicking of an adventure or creative game. By the same token, being shrieked at by obnoxious 8-year-olds, constantly slaughtered by cheap-shots and hackers and blinded by the vast array of greys and browns on display does not sound like the kind of thing I'd enjoy.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
CAMDAWG said:
Look at Crysis 2. It's no Crysis 1 with its lush foliage, but it managed to turn NY rather vibrant.
To be fair, crysis 2 did get to use aliens flying around to add some colour, there was more colour than just the aliens, but the aliens contributed a lot. Cod can't really pull that out of their arse at this point in time...
Or can they...Soviet UFOs perhaps?

Eccentric_Jon

Jun 20, 2010
Ok, so this is one map. Most of New York is drab and grey buildings anyway. That makes it accurate. I've seen other screen shots showing a load of colour, just as I've seen both in Battlefield.

I personally will be buying MW3 & renting Battlefield 3. IMO both look like they have good graphics, but I didn't enjoy the Battlefield multiplayer beta, and if the game ends up like that, then I'll only want to play through campaign.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Look at Crysis 2. It's no Crysis 1 with its lush foliage, but it managed to turn NY rather vibrant.
I attribute that mostly to great use of a powerful lighting system and some subtle art directing. I think that's one of the reasons that BF3 seems to stand apart (visually) from other military FPS games; great lighting makes a significant difference to the aesthetic of a game.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
T said:
People are being very unfair here. These screenshots totally have colour other than grey; if you look in the bottom left corner of the first screenshot, there's a damaged traffic light that's green.
OH! Oh my god! He is right! There is hope yet!

But seriously, MW3 is going to be great in my opinion. I really want to shoot Makarov in the face and, on a personal note, I also want to see if IW and Sledgehammer pull a happy ending out of their ass in which Russia and the USA realise that they were both played for chumps or if WW3 will drag on in a cliffhanger type ending that would indicate Modern Warfare 4.

GrayJester

May 31, 2011
Wait, what?! I clicked on this because I thought MW3 will feature (I quote article title) the Grey(s)!