New Mortal Kombat Episode Brings the Death, Fangs and Sibling Rivalry

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Mortal Kombat Episode Brings the Death, Fangs and Sibling Rivalry

Lies are uncovered and a lot of people get stabbed in this week's episode - sometimes at the same time.

It's Tuesday morning, which means it's time for another dose of Kevin Tanchareon's Mortal Kombat web series, Legacy. This week's episode once again focuses on the sisters Kitana and Mileena, their ever-growing rivalry, and the secrets of their family.

The episode opens with the fight that closed the last installment, but unfortunately for fans hoping to see more action after all of last week's exposition, the first fight is the only fight, and the rest of the episode is dedicated to Kitana's burgeoning belief that she has been lied to by Shao Kahn. What's more, most of the story is told using an animated comic book style, rather than live action, which seems like an effort to get round budgetary constraints without making the show look cheap.

This is probably the weakest episode so far, with too much reliance on the narrator to push the story forward. It somehow manages to feel more slowly paced than last week's episode, which was almost entirely back story. Of course, it doesn't help that these last two episodes are such a significant departure from the previous three, with much more to explain, and more characters to introduce.

It will be interesting to see the direction that the show takes when it eventually gets to Scorpion and Sub Zero, as they have a similar rivalry to Sonya, Jax, and Kano - which was made obvious without the need for a narrator - but with a mystical twist that might require some explanation. The story is theoretically simple - a ninja comes back from the dead to take revenge on the person who killed him - but it could get quite bogged down in the details.

Source: Machinima [http://www.machinima.com]

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
It was an alright episode. Probably the weakest so far. but, that being said, I am still really enjoying the series. I cannot wait for Sub Zero and Scorpion. They could've done a series based on just their rivalry alone.

Also, they did a great job of portraying Mileena. She looks freaky.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow suck to be the king imposters. Could they get some makeup or something.
Yeah I agree that it was a dull episode but now with that part finsih I will be looking forward to the next scene shift in the story.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Fuck this shit. The hell were Warner Brothers thinking not greenlighting Rebirth? Rebirth would have worked splendidly because it would blend all characters into one genre. Legacy doesn't work because it tries to blend both characters and genre, and unless you're Quentin Tarantino, blending so many genres is fucking hard. It's gotten so fucking silly that they can't even stick to one style of filmmaking! From regular style, to narrative style, to fucking ANIME.

This whole series is a clusterfuck beyond hope of redemption.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Cherry Cola said:
Fuck this shit. The hell were Warner Brothers thinking not greenlighting Rebirth? Rebirth would have worked splendidly because it would blend all characters into one genre. Legacy doesn't work because it tries to blend both characters and genre, and unless you're Quentin Tarantino, blending so many genres. It's gotten so fucking silly that they can't even stick to one style of filmmaking! From regular style, to narrative style, to fucking ANIME.

This.
I love Mortal Kombat, but I'm getting increasingly bored of Legacy. The director(s) I feel really is not experienced enough it seems, and is trying to do too many things at once. Hell I think I could direct something better! They're just trying to incorporate way too many elements into one thing.
I'm going to carry on watching, because like I said I love MK, but I really hope they get better, because this episode was dull. Also, why did we need the recap at the beginning of the episode? They're about five minutes long in total! I remember what happened!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Am I the only one who thinks that these are absolutely horrible? They remind me of a made for TV -not just TV, but ScyFy channel- movie, but not nearly as enjoyable because it is taking itself seriously.
I have a simple solution. Stop watching shows you don't like.

OT: The switch up between the animation and live action is still jarring. I think it would've been better if they's stuck to only animation to keep the alien feel of Edenia and make the transition to live action when they entered earth realm.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
manythings said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Am I the only one who thinks that these are absolutely horrible? They remind me of a made for TV -not just TV, but ScyFy channel- movie, but not nearly as enjoyable because it is taking itself seriously.
I have a simple solution. Stop watching shows you don't like.

OT: The switch up between the animation and live action is still jarring. I think it would've been better if they's stuck to only animation to keep the alien feel of Edenia and make the transition to live action when they entered earth realm.
How am I supposed to form an opinion on something if I don't give it a try? Good try, though.

When are they going to introduce Scorpion into the mix? He was looking pretty rad in that fake trailer.
Well if you think about it he already is in the mix. I imagine sub-zero is coming into it before his next appearance. The trailer wasn't fake it was a tester that the director put up to link friends to but he didn't put it on private so it accidentally went viral when they passed it around.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Cherry Cola said:
Fuck this shit. The hell were Warner Brothers thinking not greenlighting Rebirth? Rebirth would have worked splendidly because it would blend all characters into one genre. Legacy doesn't work because it tries to blend both characters and genre, and unless you're Quentin Tarantino, blending so many genres is fucking hard. It's gotten so fucking silly that they can't even stick to one style of filmmaking! From regular style, to narrative style, to fucking ANIME.

This.

Not much else to add.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I think it was alright. Not the best so far but at least it brought 3 new chars into the mix. Call me what you will but I liked the sequences enough for me to want more.

They are done with Outworld and now we can get back to earth. Which was the whole point from the beginning.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I liked the episodes, but when they introduced Edenia and Kitana, Mileena, and Shao Kahn, it just killed it a bit. The whole anime-style thing ruins the mood for me--as does the fantasy-like setting.

I do wish they would have stuck with the same style as Rebirth.

Anyway, this won't stop me from watching the show--I mean, I did watch the entire Defenders of the Realm series.

capacollo

Nov 17, 2009
Agree not the strongest of the series but they do need to do character development don't they? I wonder if this series is just about character development or if it'll actually lead into the tournament where actual matches take place (one would only hope)...

cypherslock

Dec 25, 2008
Rebirth will come I'm sure. And to everyone whining...at least they're doing it. Try it yourselves and tell me how easy it is. Sheesh.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Eh...the switches to animation would have worked if they did it less often. Havin it go live action - animation - live action - animation in a two minuteish span was jarrin at best.

Oh wells. Still diggin the fight scenes.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Hokey acting? Check. Pitiful and plentiful animation? Check. Long, extraordinarily pointless recaps at the beginning of the episode that serve as nothing more than filler? Check. Set design and effects indicating that they used up the entirety of their budget on the first two episodes? Check. Narrator with the emotional range of a hairbrush? Check. They even threw in an Orc from Lord of the Rings.

This webseries may have never been good, but at least it didn't outright suck. Then Episode 4 came along. This just meets the bare minimum for getting on the SyFy channel.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The realistic live action Rebirth was good, this... ? This is so far off from what Rebirth started.