New mythological creature to get behind?

Mar 28, 2009
Ken_J said:
ClaptonKnophlerHendrix said:
SevenStarSonata said:
ClaptonKnophlerHendrix said:
Demons anyone? They come in all different shapes and sizes and the odds are pretty good that even stephanie meyer can't make an entire generation of teenage girls rub themselves at night over them.
Orly? One word, my friend... incubus. Sex demon of unbelievably sexiness and sexitude...and sex.
So shes going to turn an entire generation of girls into lesbians? Goddamn that ***** is evil!
They're actualy coming out with something 'like' that, Jennifer's Body with Megan Fox.
I can die happy now.

B12

Jun 20, 2009
And no one has mentioned the kelpie! Seriously, I'm with any horse creature thats not a omgmagicalz unicorn or mysticmajestic pegasus. Or a combination of the two. Kelpies are badass. They tempt people to ride them and then they fuse with the person and drag them to the depths of some nearby water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

OR similarly an Each Usige

Rocksa

Jul 26, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Drakmeire said:
Myself and many others feel the "Twilight" and similar series have ruined vampires for the masses and turned them into some sort of joke. So any suggestions for a new mythological creature to support in hopes of it becoming more mainstream and filling our newfound void? I suggest "Ghouls". for those of you who don't know much about ghouls, they are basicly intelligent zombies that gain the memories and appearance of any creature they consume (at least in some versions). Any thoughts on that?
I was sure Ghouls were canibalistic people that mutated into these creatures after eating the dead for too long. Their tounges are long and thick to lick out bone marrow, nails are long and sharpe to dig up the earth, etc. Has been for so long.

One creature no one should touch is the Wendigo. Unkillable, ever-starving man that grows gaunt and fetid looking, while always growing larger after people it eats. Love it.
Ah, the Wendigo, eat a person and end up turning into a horrible creature with fire where your legs used to be. Good stuff. At this point I've got to wonder if there's any mythological creature that people didn't think would eat them though, seems like that's all that's been mentioned is creatures that usually at humans or at least feasted on their blood or souls.

V379

Jul 23, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Cthulhu just because I know nothing of the creature but everytime I see it I get hungry.
buy one insane culstist get one free

SevenStarSonata

Jul 26, 2009
wizzerd229 said:
Orly? One word, my friend... incubus. Sex demon of unbelievably sexiness and sexitude...and sex.
In reality, the Incubus is a type of Male Vampire
Ehm...no....demon. Lookitup.

Rocksa said:
How about Brownies? Don't have my book on mythology at hand, but IIRC they're the tiny little fey that basically clean up around the house as long as you keep them happy. Want to get people behind them? Make them streamlined as murderous little bastards that can squeeze into your home no matter how well you think you've locked it up. Terrify the hell out of some kids.
Holycarp, dude, yes. I haven't heard anyone mention brownies in YEARS, but YES.

Also, Dear Escapist Forums: I am partially blind and on a teensy leetle netbook. If you're done with page 3 and on to page 4, let me know, please. Teeny numbers appearing do not help.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
riskroWe said:
Come on boys, we've still got pirates.
[img/]http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-2/jack-sparrow-pirates-of-the-caribbean.jpg[/img]
No.. we don't

bipeo said:
missingno
Win! It was my avatar back in the days when I had less then 100 posts.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
SevenStarSonata said:
jasoncyrus said:
Dragons.

MUCH more interesting than zombies, ghouls, etc.
Dragons are not new. Dragons have been mainstreamized to death already...Eragon, Harry Potter #4, the entire freaking Pern series, hell, even the Shrek movies! I've even read romance novels centered around dragons (much to the disturbation of my mind, but that's okay...)

Not to say that dragons aren't awesome because, lets face it, they TOTALLY are. But they are not a "new mythological creature to get behind".

I say....Murlocs. Mostly because a) I can't think of the name of my most favouritest mythological creature ever right now, given that I am a brain-dead heap of fluff, and b) because I would pay good money to hear people rally together to the sounds of the Murloc cry, Arwlrwlrwlrwl!!

Also, Level 80 Elite Tauren Chieftan sings a bitchin' song about 'em. That I can get behind.
Murlocs...OR GIANT SPACE ASTEROID WORMS a cookie to who knows what its from...Very popular movie come on people :D
OR DRACONIANS

or the wraith

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Cathulu! Why choose the lesser evil?

If, however, we have to go for one with which we can on some level empathize, my vote is for liches. They are basically ghouls but for a few tweaks. They got there by their own merit. In fact they had to work hard to become liches. This makes them smart and determined. Secondly, vampires have a slew of weaknesses, so their replacement should have some, too. Liches trade in the many for one big one: their phylactery. Destroy it, and you destroy the lich. Lastly, their decomposed form keeps romance novelists away. Some chicks may want to make it with a thin, pale, goth boy with no body heat, but who would find coitus with a rotted, animated corpse the stuff teenage obsession? If any of those kind of youth are out there, we can at least lock them up and be done with it.

To clarify, I mean the D&D lich. If vampires can have Angel, Liches can have the Arthas, but just open-up your Monster Manual and be on the ground floor for the Advent of the Lich.

SevenStarSonata

Jul 26, 2009
Triffid said:
...Cthulhu isn't a mythological creature. AT ALL

He's entirely fictional, created by H.P Lovecraft
Define "mythological", then. Seems to me that a myth is merely a particularly old fictional story. Somewhere, someone came up with the story for a particular creature, and that story was handed down the generations and tweaked where it would be tweaked, until considered a creature of myth. H.P. Lovecraft's rather disturbing creature is merely a youngling myth.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
If you think Vampires are ruined, try watching, "True Blood". It will remind you that Twilight has ruined nothing but itself.

As for a new Mythological creature...How about Mages? Vampires and Werewolfs are still sorta human, so Mages should count. The main reason I say Mage is fond memories of Mage: The Ascension, simultaneously one of the coolest and most unplayable settings for a PnP RPG of all time. All I gotta say is that even Stephanie Meyers couldn't screw up the Virtual Adepts. Though Hollow Ones are an easy target...

Gigawolf1

Jun 17, 2009
Thesis: Vampires were not ruined because of one series. Summary at the end.

Mythological refers to creatures from stories. Much like how Cryptological refers to mysteries, and biological refers to organic, cellular, proven life. Cthulhu counts, even if he's not scary. How bad can he be?

In regards to this entire thread; Stephanie Meyer and young girls do not have the power to ruin or destroy anything. Vampires have slowly changed from the mindless bloodthirsty animated corpses they began as to (often) bisexual chess players who spend large efforts seducing and drinking from one particular person. This is a gradual evolution, a large turning point of which would have been Elizabeth Bathory, a woman who took virgins from the nearby village and bathed in their blood along with her lesbian lovers. This was credited as inspiration for Camilla, one of the oldest well-known vampire stories where the creatures in question are not mindless.

Camilla was also counted as an inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula. And according to a version of the book I have, so was a dream in which the author dreamt the scene where the count pulls the young man away from the coven of female vampires and says "He is mine!"

Summary (aka TL;DR): Sentient vampires have bisexual tendencies, original vampires were solo zombie hordes.