New Network Interface Card for Online Gamers

N. Evan Van Zelfden

Jul 11, 2006
New Network Interface Card for Online Gamers

Bigfoot Networks introduces the Killer NIC, offering gamers ?superior speed and performance in their online games?

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
- I feel it is neccessary to point out that this product is completely worthless as an upgrade. IPsec and the few other things the processor is doing that can be offloaded to the NIC are almost insignificant to your performance. Many of them will infact need to go to the processor anyway so that the game itself can deal with the packets.

Unless you're lucky enough to have a 30Mbit Fibre connection to your ISP, and for some reason are on 10BaseT at home, you wont see ANY measureable benefit in ping times / throughput / FPS. I'm not sure what type of customer they think is going to buy this, but I'd wager its an uninformed one.

If you're interested in improving your broadband connection / home connection, invest in a lower end Cisco router, as opposed to linksys or netgear. The lower end with a smaller Cisco switch can still be done for under 100 if you look around on Ebay, and will actually make some difference in terms of how much of what your ISP is offering you actually makes it through to your desktop.

- Tom