New Nintendo Boss Lays Out 2016 Plans: NX, Theme Parks, And More

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Nintendo Boss Lays Out 2016 Plans: NX, Theme Parks, And More

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/970/970120.jpg
Nintendo's new president Tatsumi Kimishima says the company will release NX "details" in 2016.

In an interview with Japanese business newspaper new Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima [http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160115/ddn/008/020/012000c] has laid out his plans for the company for 2016, focusing on the NX, smart phone apps, theme parks, and more.

Thanks to translator Serkan Toto [https://twitter.com/serkantoto], we have the basic gist of Kimishima's address. First up, concerning the NX itself, Kimishima said that the company would release "details" in 2016, but didn't mention what any of these details would be. He did stress that with the NX, he wants to surprise fans with new ideas instead of simply building on old ones.

He said that the company's smartphone and live action Super Mario Bros. movie? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140720-Nintendo-Announces-Nintendo-Themed-Universal-Stuidos-Rides]

While the company's first smartphone app, Miitomo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161220-Miitomo-Nintendos-First-Smartphone-Game-Announced#&gid=gallery_4940&pid=1], won't feature Mario and co., Kimishima did confirm that smartphone apps with Nintendo's famous characters would come in 2016.

He hopes that these new initiatives will bring the company's yearly profit up to 100 billion yen within the next four years - a bold claim considering that that number is over 4 times what Nintendo made last year.

Source: Twitter [http://mainichi.jp/articles/20160115/ddn/008/020/012000c]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Not detailing what the NX is still seems like a bad idea to me. It seems like it would create consumer reticence to invest in their current products. I know its influenced my potential for buyng a Wii U and would influence whether I bought a 3DS if I didn't already have one.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Something Amyss said:
Not detailing what the NX is still seems like a bad idea to me. It seems like it would create consumer reticence to invest in their current products. I know its influenced my potential for buyng a Wii U and would influence whether I bought a 3DS if I didn't already have one.
Not sure how anything they do will change that honestly.

This is probably the most official announcement about the NX since people learned about it and everything since then has been speculation. Hell, they might not even know entirely what the NX is yet. Not really much of a point to announce somethin if you don't have absolutely everythin locked down and ready to talk about.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shintakie10 said:
Knowing if it's a gaming console, an add-on, or a service would likely be very helpful to the consumer.

Simply this basic level of information is what should keep people from buying a Nintendo product if they're concerned with obsolescence.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This news just reminds me of Xbox One's TV & Sports hype.
But this time around its Nintendo with Movies & Theme Parks.
On the bright side they didn't announce Metroid Pachinko.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Theme park you say? I would certainly like to ride go-kart on a rainbow-painted tracks.

Also,

... a stretch?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
RatGouf said:
But it's Nintendo, so that makes it okay.

On the other hand, I'm not quite ready to throw the Big N under the bus, just yet. I'd like to see what Movies and Theme Parks entails. A Nintendo ride at Disneyland Tokyo? An animated Mario or Metroid film? Maybe they actually wanna do that Zelda Game of Thrones style show?

On the other hand, I'd really like some clarification on exactly what the Hell the NX is going to be. A system? A service? Some chimera of both with a theme park ride and a movie? The longer this drags out, the worse off I feel Nintendo will be in this console generation. Though, they were already in a weak position.

RatGouf said:
Hurray for lowered expectations!

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Saltyk said:
RatGouf said:
But it's Nintendo, so that makes it okay.

On the other hand, I'm not quite ready to throw the Big N under the bus, just yet. I'd like to see what Movies and Theme Parks entails. A Nintendo ride at Disneyland Tokyo? An animated Mario or Metroid film? Maybe they actually wanna do that Zelda Game of Thrones style show?

On the other hand, I'd really like some clarification on exactly what the Hell the NX is going to be. A system? A service? Some chimera of both with a theme park ride and a movie? The longer this drags out, the worse off I feel Nintendo will be in this console generation. Though, they were already in a weak position.

RatGouf said:
Hurray for lowered expectations!
RatGouf said:
I'm confused, is it the bi-monthly time to bash Nintendo for everything they do even if it's just a rumor or just a general "this is what we're focusing on for the upcoming year" interview? The only new thing announced was the posibility of TV animation or movies. We knew about everything else since last year.

Also, Nintendo does it so everything's fine? Do we read the same forums? No matter what the news on Nintendo, it's negative, negative, negative. It's at least the exact same as when other companies does completely bone-headed things and people don't chase negative rumors for the other companies. Nintendo can do no wrong? Nintendo can do no right for the Internet.

Something Amyss said:
shintakie10 said:
Knowing if it's a gaming console, an add-on, or a service would likely be very helpful to the consumer.

Simply this basic level of information is what should keep people from buying a Nintendo product if they're concerned with obsolescence.
It's a game console. Whether it's a home console, a handheld console, or a code name for both their handheld and home console is the question. Besides, both the PS4 and Xbox One tried their hardest to hide the details until the reveal conference. Granted, both were leaked months in advanced but holding your cards until the big reveal is normal for all companies.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xaszatm said:
It's a game console. Whether it's a home console, a handheld console, or a code name for both their handheld and home console is the question. Besides, both the PS4 and Xbox One tried their hardest to hide the details until the reveal conference. Granted, both were leaked months in advanced but holding your cards until the big reveal is normal for all companies.
We didn't know about their consoles more than a year beforehand. They didn't talk about them more than a year beforehand. We did, however, know explicitly they were consoles from the word go. Even if "console" loosely means "TV machine."

Since they are actively acknowledging it, something as simple as clarifying where in the market it fits would be invaluable, and not doing that is stupid. This is apples and oranges.

You only need to look at these boards to see this as a problem in action. I would dare say your average Escapist is more informed than your average consumer, even if only slightly so. Still, we have had more than a few posters who thought NX was coming out last Christmas, and it's been just around the corner for months. People are actively avoiding a purchase because there's been such a large window of talking about how this thing is totes coming. You know this, I don't need to tell you. You're in every one of these threads defending Nintendo. The irony being that the fact that your stewarship is so necessary speaks to the exact problem I'm raising. Simply put, you would not have to constantly correct people if this wasn't a shitty idea that was putting people off their products in the first place.

I'm confused, is it the bi-monthly time to bash Nintendo for everything they do even if it's just a rumor or just a general "this is what we're focusing on for the upcoming year" interview?
This...is an ongoing trend, which again, you are aware of. Not only have you been quick to defend Nintendo at every turn, but you've acknowledged the lack of new content in this interview. The thing is, this is exacerbating a bad situation. I'm not even really sure how anyone can say otherwise. Surely the fact that you feel the need to so readily defend them should be a sign there's something amyss *cough* ummm...amiss?

Or is this a more general thing? Nintendo isn't under attack because people have dared criticise an ongoing business "strategy."

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Something Amyss said:

This is probably the most official announcement about the NX since people learned about it and everything since then has been speculation. Hell, they might not even know entirely what the NX is yet. Not really much of a point to announce somethin if you don't have absolutely everythin locked down and ready to talk about.
True, but just mentioning it, after Wii U's lineup has dried up to the extent it has, doesn't help my interest. I liked ZombiU, the Yarn Yoshi and Super Mario 3D World when I played them on friend's consoles, and I want to play Hyrule Warriors, but the WiiU seems like it's going to be abandoned, so it's hardly worth picking up for me. Think Nintendo ought to work out exactly what they're doing with their consoles, 'cause this current strategy doesn't seem to be working. Launching the U before the other Next Gen consoles, and making it less powerful, again, bringing over a bunch of other console games and then, what exactly? It doesn't seem exactly brimming with support, and there's some sort of NX hovering on the horizon. The word I heard was that it's their next console, and also some ridiculous stuff about using cloud computing to give it a performance boost.

xaszatm said:
I'm confused, is it the bi-monthly time to bash Nintendo for everything they do even if it's just a rumor or just a general "this is what we're focusing on for the upcoming year" interview?
Dude. Stop.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Something Amyss said:
xaszatm said:
We didn't know about their consoles more than a year beforehand. They didn't talk about them more than a year beforehand. We did, however, know explicitly they were consoles from the word go. Even if "console" loosely means "TV machine."

Since they are actively acknowledging it, something as simple as clarifying where in the market it fits would be invaluable, and not doing that is stupid. This is apples and oranges.

You only need to look at these boards to see this as a problem in action. I would dare say your average Escapist is more informed than your average consumer, even if only slightly so. Still, we have had more than a few posters who thought NX was coming out last Christmas, and it's been just around the corner for months. People are actively avoiding a purchase because there's been such a large window of talking about how this thing is totes coming. You know this, I don't need to tell you. You're in every one of these threads defending Nintendo. The irony being that the fact that your stewarship is so necessary speaks to the exact problem I'm raising. Simply put, you would not have to constantly correct people if this wasn't a shitty idea that was putting people off their products in the first place.

This...is an ongoing trend, which again, you are aware of. Not only have you been quick to defend Nintendo at every turn, but you've acknowledged the lack of new content in this interview. The thing is, this is exacerbating a bad situation. I'm not even really sure how anyone can say otherwise. Surely the fact that you feel the need to so readily defend them should be a sign there's something amyss *cough* ummm...amiss?

Or is this a more general thing? Nintendo isn't under attack because people have dared criticise an ongoing business "strategy."
I'm more on the defensive because the other site I'm on bashes Nintendo with such ferocity it pisses me off. And yes, people here are mostly more rational in their complaints. But after seeing multiple people say "Sakurai can't make a good Smash game after Melee", "Myamoto should stop making games", "I'm glad Iwata died, now hopefully Nintendo can follow what I want!", "anything Japanese is horrible for video games so Nintendo needs to be more Western", "if only someone white was in charge of Nintendo, they wouldn't be having any problems!" and the like has made me extremely exasperated over anything negative over Nintendo. And those are the things I'm talking about the bi-monthly bashing. It's not on this site (or if it is, usually focused around as about as many members who rush to its defense so like 2 or 3 posters at max) but after a while EVERY mocking feels like a "let's piss on Nintendo for irrational reasons". This site tends to be more apathetic to Nintendo than anything else.

And no, this is NOT exacerbating a bad situation. I think you're confusing how this source came to be. This wasn't an investor's meeting, nor a formal announcement of plans, nor a Nintendo Direct, nor anything that would call for new information. It was a small interview that consisted of one question: what is the future of Nintendo. The article is like less than a page long. I'm not entirely sure why you'd expect some grand announcement for Nintendo in such a small source. That'd come from like a press conference, an inverstor's meeting, a Nintendo Direct, things where they could show it out in full force. I mean, Sony and Xbox did something similar where they just did a recap of what their plans are going forward. That doens't mean that Sony or Xbox have nothing else planned, right?

Also, it's not Nintendo's fault that people mistakingly believed the NX would come out last year. Nintendo has stated multiple times in both their places where they announce big (Directs, Investor's Meetings, etc.) as well as in multiple interviews that NX news would not be discussed in 2015 and would be discussed sometime in 2016. Despite this, people adamantly believed that the thing was to be released in 2015. What's Nintendo supposed to do? I mean, when the Internet believes something to be true, it takes a logical nightmare to convince them otherwise, just look at the misinformation that happened with Shenmue 3, some people still believed the Kickstarter was a scam because Sony was going to pay for all of it months after it was all cleared up.

Loonyyy said:
xaszatm said:
Dude. Stop.
Stop what? Sarcasticly replying to a post that's sarcastically mocking something else? Am I only supposed to do it at corporations or people we don't like at the moment?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Until I know what the NX is, I won't be buying a WiiU.

So...I guess the wait beings?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
I have this weird feeling the NX will wind up being Nintendo's "32X".
So, the NX really is going to be a mount for attaching a 3DS to a Wii U gamepad to make the ultimate 4 screen experience. In all serious though, I really hope it isn't an add-on. The Wii product line is already confusing to the general public, even without an add-on. They better remember the 32X and many of those CD add-ons of the 16/32 bit eras failed to keep their respective systems relevant when better hardware was available. They should also look at their own N64 Disk Drive, which offered many things consoles wouldn't see again for another generation but just came out the wrong time in a system's life cycle and at a cost too high.
Something Amyss said:
Well, my best guesses on why they haven't they haven't revealed any new info are:

A) They want to keep that info away from the competitors for as long as possible. (See how Sony themselves trashed MS when the Xbone's original DRM plan was revealed.) I'm sure MS and Sony still keep tabs on Nintendo, even if all three have said in the past that they're no longer direct competitors.

B) They may still be working out bugs and aren't ready to announce the full feature set yet.

C) The official announcement of what it is and when it comes out may be prolific enough for the general public to catch wind of the details. If it really does completely replace the Wii U and/or 3DS, sales of those could plummet long before the NX is on shelves. The Wii U sold surprisingly decent this shopping season, and it probably would not have done as well with concrete evidence of its obsolescence on the horizon. They may even want the Wii U to do well for another year in order to sell the upcoming titles (some of which may be unknown to the public until E3) for the system.

Although now that the holidays are over with, I sure would like some details as well. With all of the anticipation, the amount of rumors on NX might pile up to the point people could start confusing what is true and what isn't.

OT: Nintendo might as well get back into TV shows and movies. (Though, they better make sure the contracts give them ultimate vetoing power for some of the stupid ideas Hollywood cooks up and have representatives looking over scripts and whatnot every so often.) The child demographic has been shrinking in the traditional video game sector (especially home consoles) for years. TV shows and Movies might renew interest in Nintendo's franchises. Expanding would also be a two pronged attack since Nintendo still has the 20 to 30 year old audience who would be more than willing to buy DVDs and tickets to something that tickles the nostalgia senses.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
xaszatm said:
Stop what? Sarcasticly replying to a post that's sarcastically mocking something else? Am I only supposed to do it at corporations or people we don't like at the moment?
Defensively jumping in aggressively on Nintendo's account. It doesn't help anyone, and it really doesn't matter. And some of us aren't here to bash on Nintendo, some of us do like them, we're just not on board with this. Like, I'm not sure about the NX because basically, I'm aware that it's floating around somewhere, and that it could be the end of support for the Wii U, which'd change how interested I am in grabbing one. I don't think that the news of the NX being out there (Which it already was) is particularly great tbh, I think that if it's not a main console, then they should jump on that pretty fast, because it hurts the Wii U. Like right now, until they actually announce what this is, my odds of buying a WiiU have dropped to zero.

And yeah, some people are going to bash on Nintendo, whatever. They're a company, who cares? Hell, in one of the examples quoted, they're also taking aim at the xBone, it's hardly just Nintendo bashing. There's plenty of negative news about every other company, and this isn't even on the level of the stuff that EA gets. And yeah, this news is kinda negative. There's no reason to get so aggressive over what a couple of randoms on a forum think about Nintendo. It's Nintendo. They'll keep doing what they do, whether or not commenters give a shit.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
Thanks to translator Serkan Toto [https://twitter.com/serkantoto], we have the basic gist of Kimishima's address. First up, concerning the NX itself, Kimishima said that the company would release "details" in 2016, but didn't mention what any of these details would be.
The colour and the shape.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
xaszatm said:
Also, it's not Nintendo's fault that people mistakingly believed the NX would come out last year.
It's entirely their fault. Of course deliberate secretiveness on your own product is going to spark hearsay and misinformation.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Nintendo anime and movies you say? I've been hungry for Nintendo anime since before the Paulatena reveal and it would be interesting to see which Nintendo franchise is next in line for an anime. Kirby's Right Back at Ya was a weird (though memorable) show and F-Zero was memetic as Hell...I wonder what would be next in line? Fingers crossed for a Star Fox anime. And of course, fingers crossed for a western release of the Animal Crossing anime they did however many years ago.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
xaszatm said:
Also, it's not Nintendo's fault that people mistakingly believed the NX would come out last year.
It's entirely their fault. Of course deliberate secretiveness on your own product is going to spark hearsay and misinformation.
Oh, for the ideas that it might be a hybrid or what type of console it is? Yeah, I'd agree there. But for the specific case of the NX not being discussed until 2016? That was declared multiple times by Nintendo. In fact, asides from the fact Dragon Quest XI was accidentally revealed to be on the NX, that's all we ever known. If releasing multiple press statements that the NX will be discussed in 2016 doesn't stop people from saying it, then I'm doubting anything else will convince them otherwise.

Jan 27, 2011
I am mildly concerned. >_>

His intention to quadruple the money they made last year seems like a dangerous promise, mostly because "how?"

Here's hoping they don't lose their soul and become the next EA or Ubisoft or whoever. :s