New Overwatch Beta Patch Brings New Tracer Pose, Accidental Invisibility

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Overwatch Beta Patch Brings New Tracer Pose, Accidental Invisibility

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1309/1309648.jpg

The new beta patch for Overwatch added content, removed and replaced some things, and accidentally turned one character invisible.

A new Overwatch beta patch released yesterday, and brought with it new Legendary skins, detailed the penalties for players who repeatedly leave games, and implemented a bunch of technical tweaks and fixes.

In addition to the additions and fixes, the patch also appears to have made a new over the shoulder pose available for Tracer. Although it was not directly mentioned in the patch notes, the new pose was confirmed by the was criticized by a poster on the forums [https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/717499965380169730], resulting in a pair of responses from Game Director Jeff Kaplan. Kaplan originally stated that the team wants "everyone to feel strong and heroic," and that they will "continue to try to do better," later issuing a lengthier response, stating that the team was not happy with the original pose anyway and had already created the alternative.

The patch wasn't flawless, however. Blizzard was forced to temporarily remove Soldier: 76 after a new skin caused the character to become invisible [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742966508].

"We've recently discovered an issue with one of Soldier: 76's Legendary skins that allows players with the skin equipped to become invisible in the game world," the post reads. "Due to the impact of this issue, we've temporarily disabled Soldier: 76 until we can patch in a fix. While not ideal, unfortunately the same issue that's causing the unintended invisibility is also preventing us from disabling the skin on its own."

A patch for this issue is currently being worked on, and is expected to be available sometime this week.

You can check out the full patch notes here [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20742886413].

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
This is almost exactly the same pose only now she's raised her leg....what changed exactly?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Jack O said:
This is almost exactly the same pose only now she's raised her leg....what changed exactly?
Not really the original was kinda just boring, she wasn't really doing anything other than standing and looking back, this at least has a bit more expression to it.

What's goofy about the whole "controversy" though is that these poses are only viewed for a few seconds on the winning screen unless people go out of their way to view them in the 3d character viewer, and other characters (both male and female) do almost the same exact pose that tracer previously did for over the shoulder.

And if people don't like tracers default outfit regardless of how she's posing their are a whole pile of alternate outfits she can have equiped and of course many other winning poses to choose from. The whole thing was kinda dumb and pointless.

meirol

Feb 14, 2012
Jack O said:
Nah see, her leg is raised up real high! So now your 8 year old daughter can't imitate that pose and think that's how all girls should be like! Because children have shit balance!

Problem solved

Sep 24, 2008
I don't know.

I liked the cute lethalness (yes, I'm making that a phrase) of the first pose. Tracer was always a sprite like being, but she kicked much ass and her personality exuded that.

"Yeah, I'm cute. But not more cute than these guns."

This pose... I can really hear her say "Justice Will Prevail... Just kidding!"

It's not a bad pose. I just don't prefer it.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
This one has a bit more personality to it. Still don't understand the shitfit over the other one, but whatever.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I'm still not convinced I should care about one pose changing for one character in one game. I preferred when we were arguing over whether or not games were art. At least there was nuance to that conversation :/

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Hmmmm...

*Attempts pose*

Whoa-whoa-WHOOOOAAAA!

Jesus, I can't hold that for more than a few seconds.

So Blizzard removes the old pose because they claim it over-sexualized Tracer...only to replace it with one straight out of a World War II pin-up? The cynical part of me feels like this was just a big PR stunt, and they played us all like fiddles. Well played, Blizzard.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
This pose actually improves the silhouette of her backside...

Okay Blizzard, you're back in the good book.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
Hmmmm...

*Attempts pose*

Whoa-whoa-WHOOOOAAAA!

Jesus, I can't hold that for more than a few seconds.

So Blizzard removes the old pose because they claim it over-sexualized Tracer...only to replace it with one straight out of a World War II pin-up? The cynical part of me feels like this was just a big PR stunt, and they played us all like fiddles. Well played, Blizzard.
I'm right there with you. Blizzard probably figured something like this would spark a big debate, so why not exploit both sides to advertise the game?

The Internet was their chessboard, and we were the pawns.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Doesn't matter. The character has already been made into a major sex idol through the power of the internet regardless. I've "stumbled" across her and Widow (with next to no effort) engaging in "sexy activities". So trying to tone down the sexy is just a pointless quest at this point. Fun story though.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Man, I really wish S76 wasn't gone. All those Pharahs shooting their stupid rockets on my poor Reinhardt with impunity. But aside from that, that patch was really nice.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't understand.
They didn't patch out her ass.
How can someone feel strong and heroic while having an ass?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dominic Crossman said:
If anything that pose is sexier. I don't even... *sigh* whatever man, I'm done thinking about this.
The real question is why you bothered thinking about this in the first place. From the start this has just been another hilarious "Oh internet, why you so crazy?" joke.

Fappy said:
I'm still not convinced I should care about one pose changing for one character in one game. I preferred when we were arguing over whether or not games were art. At least there was nuance to that conversation :/
Pffft, art discussions are soooooo 2000's. This is 2016! If it's not about sexism and/or sexualization in videogames no one gives two shits and a fuck! :p

That's why I just play games and have stopped talking about them on the internet. All opening my big fat mouth gets me is no less that 17 people flooding my inbox with the exact same explanation - each worded slightly differently - about all the ways my opinion is hilariously wrong and that I should be ashamed for having it.

Well I'm sorry, ok! I still say that Valkyr's the most OP Warframe in the game, damnit! >=(

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Being 100% serious, I genuinely have no idea what a sexy pose looks like, but judging by the comments all poses are sexy poses. They could have her eating her own foot and people would still say it was a sexy pose.

OT: I actually like this pose better. It seems a lot more whimsical.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
gigastar said:
For those who arent getting the joke
I got the joke, but this is just fucking wonderful. I will admit I was a little upset Blizzard acted on the whims of a very few opinionated complaints just because it's a sign of a development team that doesn't know what it wants, but this actually makes the whole thing amazing. Absolutely fucking amazing.

Well played Blizzard, well played.