New Pirates Movie Has Zombies, Scary Mermaids

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
New Pirates Movie Has Zombies, Scary Mermaids

Captain Jack Sparrow has to get past not-scary zombies, freaky mermaids, Blackbeard, and Penelope Cruz on his way to the Fountain of Youth.

Walt Disney Pictures released the trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the fourth installment in Disney's crazy-lucrative series. Johnny Depp is back as Captain Jack Sparrow, and Geoffrey Rush returns as the dastardly Barbossa, but that's about it, as the film has a new director and new supporting roles.

Gore Verbinski directed the first three Pirates films, but is here replaced by Rob Marshall (Chicago, Nine). Neither Orlando Bloom nor Keira Knightly is returning to the franchise, but we get Penelope Cruz (Vicky Christina Barcelona) and Ian McShane (Deadwood), so I'm not complaining.

The trailer promises some not very threatening zombies, some pretty freaky mermaids, and travel to London and the Fountain of Youth.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides comes out on May 20, 2011.

Source: twitter [http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/pirates-caribbean-on-stranger-tides.html?showvideo=1#belownav]

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I saw a poster for that at the theater, but do we really need another one? (I love the other ones, I just don't see the need for another)

EDIT: Just saw the trailer, currently like what I see.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Great, even more reason for me to greatly dislike Johnny Depp.

He used to be awesome back in the 90's, now he's just a mosquito of the cinema.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I was under the impression that there would be no more after the third?

And is that what you call a zombie?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, the third one wasn't great, so as long as they can top it, I'll be happy.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Looks much better than the last one at least.
Ian Mcshane as Blackbeard!? AWESOME.

And Penelope Cruz seems more convincing as a Pirate than Keira Knightley ever could be.

Those Zombies look more like Jamaican "Voodoo" Zombies than the usual flesh tearing variant.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Terminate421 said:
I saw a poster for that at the theater, but do we really need another one? (I love the other ones, I just don't see the need for another)
Yeah, I'm pretty much on the fence about this as well. I loved the other movies but I would be fine if they ended right after "At Worlds End" and would have been cool with it. Hopefully they won't frak it up.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Feel the love in this thread.

Dunno long as it is fun and funny and a decent movie sign me up.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I really only liked the first one, the other two left me unimpressed. This however seems like it could be one of those movies that sets off the Summer movie rush.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Whoahhh there . . . . Tim Powers? Did my eyes deceive me? They based this on Powers' Strange Tides? Now *that* might be worth watching. Mind you, suggested by can mean so many things . . .

albear

May 18, 2009
grumble grumble should stick to the caribbean and not travel to london grumble grumble

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I REALLY hope they do it right this time. Just look what happened with the fourth Shrek.

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
Looks very meh, but its just the first trailer. It could still be ok...maybe...

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Wait a second, why would there be more movies? I thought everything got wrapped up in the horribly confusing At World's End?

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Wait a second, why would there be more movies? I thought everything got wrapped up in the horribly confusing At World's End?
Retcon maybe?

I dunno, I really liked the first one, the rest were pretty dull.