New Poll Reports Xbox 360 Failure at 42 Percent

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
New Poll Reports Xbox 360 Failure at 42 Percent

A new survey of over 500,000 gamers has shown the Xbox 360's failure rate has dropped.

Last August Game Informer released a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93943-Xbox-360s-Death-Rate-is-54-2>survey of 5,000 people, which stated 54.2 percent of all Xbox 360s fail. That number has decreased with this new survey released by <a href=http://www.nofussreviews.com/survey-results-2010.php>No Fuss Reviews, the Xbox 360 was reported to have failed for 42 percent of the respondents. Of the 42 percent, 55 percent reported needing more than one console repair or replacement, with 39 percent needing over two repairs or replacement.

While the numbers are lower, the No Fuss Reviews poll may have some flawed data. The survey was randomly presented to visitors of No Fuss Reviews and other satellite sites, and while they used a number of measures to prevent repeat data such as email verification, IP verification, and Javascript, it is unsure if they managed to eliminate all repeated data.

The survey also failed to take into account the amount of time the consoles were used or how long they were played, data that was suspected to have inflated the Xbox 360's numbers in the Game Informer poll. Finally, the survey did not take into account the manufacture dates of the systems, another factor which likely plays a huge part in the Xbox 360 failure. The initial Xbox 360s used chips manufactured by Falcon, which were notoriously unreliable. In 2008, Microsoft switched to chip developer Jasper, and projections indicate that this change has made the constant failure that plagued the earlier consoles a thing of the past. That fact alone could very well have contributed to the decline in figures, as more new consoles are placed on the market, the likelihood of failure decreases.

The survey also reported that 8 percent of respondents reported the PlayStation 3 failing, while a mere 1 percent of respondents reported the Wii failing.

Source: Digital Trends

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Still 42 percent is a lot if they did their homework that's a really big number considering the amount of X-boxes out there.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Y'know I've owned an Xbox360 since launch and I've never had one go. *Knocks Wood*, at times I almost forget about these problems. Then my DVD drive will fail to register my games as games and instead consider them movies. I panic, open the tray a few times and it always works out.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
"Of the 42 percent, 55 percent reported needing more than one console repair or replacement, with 39 percent needing over two repairs or replacement."

If we look at this stat compared to the failure rate quoted at 42%, clearly many people are abusing their systems, since 94% of those who've had any failures at all, have had multiple.

If they were treated properly, it would keep going at 40% down the line.

HTID Raver

Jan 7, 2010
well ive only had my box break once and all i had to do was send it back but im okay!

my friends however have not had as much luck as me LOL

lasersandbearsohno

Nov 8, 2009
What happened to the good old days of n64? You could throw those damn cartridges at a wall and all you had to do to get it to work was blow in it. Guess I will have to settle with the 3 and the wii

TheUglyBassist

Apr 13, 2010
I beleive the statistics, currently I'm using my fourth xbox 360 seeing as the last 3 either red ringed or just stopped working, fortunately with each malfunction, the life span for each new one grew vastly, meaning Microsoft is doing something at least.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
How many xbox haters do you think said what they said to inflate the numbers?

xavierxenon

Aug 10, 2009
The other day when I had an appointment at the bank I was talking to the guy there, he told me he had been through 6 different Xbox 360s all because of the red ring.

A failure rate that high is a complete joke. Not to sound like a fanboy but if Sony can make a more powerful console and not have any real problems (apocalyPS3 doesn't count as it was a one-off) then whats Microsofts excuse?

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Wait. 42 percent is a drop?
Ok well, um at least it's only huge and not astronomical anymore.

I'm actually not sure if I should trust this. As a wise man once said "There are 3 types of lies. Lies, damn lies, and statistics."
Polls only really give you accurate results within the people who vote.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
5% would be unacceptable. 42% is stupid high. Where was their quality control team? What the hell happened?

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
And this is good news?

Seriously, 42%?

That is ridiculous. I guess I lucked out with my 360.

Honestly any company that has a 50% failure rate should not be releasing their product. It obviously needs more work. Man this puts Microsoft in an even shittier light for me.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
What, really? 42%? I thought it was 12% last time...
Dammit Microsoft, your games are awesome but you system sucks.