New Prey Trailer Shows Off Your Ability to Mimic Matter

afrew

Feb 27, 2017
New Prey Trailer Shows Off Your Ability to Mimic Matter

The newest trailer for Prey shows off the ability to make your character mimic almost any object on the Talos station.

Arkane's take on Prey is getting closer to release all the time. The game casts you as Morgan Yu, the subject of an experiment that will change humanity forever. But while you are aboard the Talos I space station, you are confronted with an alien infestation that you must fend off. You'll have weapons at your disposal, but you'll also get some pretty crazy abilities to use - for example, the Mimic Matter power.

Mimic Matter, Arkane says, allows you to "to take the form of just about any appropriately sized object aboard Talos I." At first, you'll be limited to small objects, like a coffee mug or a banana. But as you level up and make this ability more powerful, you'll become able to mimic more complex objects, even taking the form of turrets and security robots.

We're sure to see more about Yu's unique abilities as the release of Prey draws nearer. Prey is set to launch on Friday, May 5, for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
Oh.
Dishonored allowed possession of enemies. Bioshock allowed turning enemies into allies temporarily.

I mean, aside from traversal through small spaces in this game -- well, you have guns to adequately fight the lackluster enemy designs. So what is the bloody point beyond gimmicks?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Oh.
Dishonored allowed possession of enemies. Bioshock allowed turning enemies into allies temporarily.

I mean, aside from traversal through small spaces in this game -- well, you have guns to adequately fight the lackluster enemy designs. So what is the bloody point beyond gimmicks?
Mostly so they have something to throw into the various adds.
Well, it could also have some use in stealth, I suspect, but I somehow doubt there are any stealth aspects in this game.

So, yes, basically just a gimmick to try to have something, if they already dropped anything to justify the name of the game.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Oh.

What's wrong with the occasional gimmick or two?

I mean, turning into Heartless in Kingdom Hearts was almost entirely useless, even if you could actually emulate their attacks, too. But it was still fun, and added a bit more personality to the game.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Oh.

The ability to play as a coffee mug of course! Who doesn't want that?!
I don't

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
So this is what all those rounds of Prop Hunt have prepared us for, eh?

But any tension in this game is going straight out of the window when you can roll around as a roll of toilet paper.
Poetic Nova said:
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Oh.

I don't
Except when it's, yeah, Prop Hunt. Because Prop Hunt is the bees knees.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Cowabungaa said:
So this is what all those rounds of Prop Hunt have prepared us for, eh?

But any tension in this game is going straight out of the window when you can roll around as a roll of toilet paper.
I bet it will be a flush.
Cowabungaa said:
Poetic Nova said:
Rip Van Rabbit said:
Oh.

I don't
Except when it's, yeah, Prop Hunt. Because Prop Hunt is the bees knees.
Prophunt is more fun on grounds of being able to play it with friends. Instead of dealing with bland design. Forgot about it until you brought it up, however.

Jan 27, 2011
XD This looks both hilarious and overpowered as hell.

I REALLY hope that enemies don't just straight up ignore you if you're hopping around as a banana in the real game. That removes all tension. Enemies should become suspicious of stuff that's behaving weirdly, or of stuff they see you directly turn into.

I mean...If Geist could do it right, I REALLY hope that the prey reboot does it right. >_>

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I thought the mug was bad enough but seeing a fucking chair roll its way down the hallway is just silly.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So is this like the box in MGS where it works if enemies don't see you move? Or is it completely useless in SP and only works in MP?