New Prince of Persia Movie is "Kind of" Like Shakespeare

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
New Prince of Persia Movie is "Kind of" Like Shakespeare

The upcoming Prince of Persia movie's narrative is much like that of a Shakespearean play, says prodcuer Jerry Bruckheimer.

One wouldn't normally equate a film based on a videogame with the work of The Bard, but that's not about to stop Bruckheimer, who produces a number of well-known television shows and movies like CSI and Pirates of the Carribean.

"...It's kind of a Shakespearean story we tell about these three brothers. One grew up on the streets and gets adopted by the king because in those days, when you had sons, they were inclined to assassinate the father to become king," Prince of Persia producer Jerry Bruckheimer said. "By having this kid who could never be king in the palace, he was always protected. If the father died, they'd throw him out. That's the kind of Shakespearean part of our story," Bruckheimer said.

Prince of Persia has spent six years in production, which allowed ample time to screen it and tweak it to work for the audience. The fact that Prince of Persia is an ongoing series with a number of different storylines helped as well, keeping the series fresh but not tying the studio to one narrative. Although game-based movies have failed in the past, Bruckheimer says, he is confident in Prince of Persia, saying it couldn't be any harder to make a movie based on a game than a movie based on a ride, like Pirates of the Caribbean.

Right, how hard could it really be? I mean, you just have to look at all the other really awesome movies based on videogames to know that it's a breeze, right?

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is due out May 28, so we will soon know if it can break the "bad videogame movie" cycle.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27965/Interview_Jerry_Bruckheimer_on_Game_Development_Prince_of_Persia_Why_Movie_Games_Fail.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29&utm_content=Twitter>Gamasutra

(<a href=http://www.hollywood.com/celebrity/195797/Jerry_Bruckheimer>Image)

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
As for the "bad videogame movies" thing, I though Silent Hill wasn't bad, not great, but not bad.
And to Bruckheimer: YOU ARE NOT SHAKESPEARE!!!1!!!!!@!4-93275ew tgs. Sorry about that, I get a little worked up about Shakespeare.

Mr. Mike

Mar 24, 2010
While this is looking like one of the more hopeful movies as a "game-to-film" adaptation, I wouldn't go so far as to compare it to Shakespeare. In my eyes Shakespeare is about the universality of its themes. And damn good writing.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
I can't recall a Shakespeare play with that particular plot device, but I suppose he means it in a "the premise is kinda complex & the setting is kinda old, so yeah Shakespeare"

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
Ok...so if this movie bombs, we can say that it was a shitty Persian Shakespearean epic rather than a shitty video game moive. Aye. This isn't really making any sense.

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
It's another film director shmelessly trying to cover up what his latest work is born from, because he...*cough* Michael Bay*cough*... he is ashamed about its origins.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I'm indifferent to this. I will go see it, I know that, but for now I'm reserving all judgment.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Anytime somebody tries to justify themselves by referencing Shakespeare, it's obvious that they're trying too hard.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Shakespeare is so overrated. I'm dead serious. Sure it's good reading if you're into that sort of thing, but it's nothing spectacular. I'll take 19 century Russian writers (Dostoevsky anyone?) any time. Now making a movie/game with narrative of that quality would tickle my fancy. This only makes me wonder how bad it will actually be.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I'm feeling very pessimistic about this movie right now but I can't help but get that "please let this movie be good" feeling.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Maybe he just means their will be plenty of filthy jokes about the phalic nature of swords and maybe contains some pantomime depictions of jews.

Aug 25, 2009
Okay. I can see where he's going with this, because really, a lot of things are like Shakespeare.

One thing studying the bard for so many years has taught me is that he was basically a lot like a Bruckheimer or a Michael Bay. He gave the people what they wanted, and it's only now when we look back that we decide he must have been doing something so incredible.

Mark my words, in 400 years people will look back on Emmerich and Boll as visionaries.

Now isn't that a terrifying thought?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, bullshit. If there's one thing I know, it's Shakespeare: it's one of the major focuses of my English degree. These people wouldn't understand what makes Shakespeare great if the pieces came up and bit them on the ass. One by one.
Bruckheimer especially has no right to talk about it.