New PS5 tech Demo

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
PlayStation 5 Tech Demo

I think the best stuff starts around 7 min.

New Unreal engine utilizes real time ray tracing.

The other good stuff about Gen 9 predicted to be that there will be virtually no load screens.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
New Unreal engine utilizes real time ray tracing.
Yes, UE5 supports real time ray-tracing, but there's not actually any ray-tracing in this demo.

Instead, it's showing off UE5's new dynamic real time global illumination system (=/= ray tracing), but primarily a new technology for displaying huge amounts geometric detail in a more resource-effective way, both in terms of rendering power needed and development time. But you know, best to let some people who know their stuff do the explaining:

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yes, UE5 supports real time ray-tracing, but there's not actually any ray-tracing in this demo.

Instead, it's showing off UE5's new dynamic real time global illumination system (=/= ray tracing), but primarily a new technology for displaying huge amounts geometric detail in a more resource-effective way, both in terms of rendering power needed and development time. But you know, best to let some people who know their stuff do the explaining:

The end of Gen 8 has been so good looking, Gen 9 has a lot to live up to in order to raise the bar. The no load screen thing sounds very exciting. But from this gen, example:

Looking forward to more demos.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
That demo for UE5 looked incredible. All the devs I know were super excited too.

Now, I want to see what these new consoles do for physics in games. I feel like we completely skipped over that this generation. New Red Faction please.

Reactions: gorfias

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That demo for UE5 looked incredible. All the devs I know were super excited too.

Now, I want to see what these new consoles do for physics in games. I feel like we completely skipped over that this generation. New Red Faction please.
Yeah, I want to see games PLAY better and differently instead of just looking better; better physics, better AI, etc. Games with far lower graphical fidelity have been kicking the asses of AAA games for awhile now.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ehh, I mean it looks nice, but all the unreal tech demos look nice. Games pretty much never end up looking as good as the demos for a long time.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The geometry thing just sounds like a lot of people lost their jobs. I'm not against progress, but that sucks.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
The geometry thing just sounds like a lot of people lost their jobs. I'm not against progress, but that sucks.
Nah. Even as tools have become more detailed and easier to do, production staff numbers have grown in the industry. When AAA becomes "easier", it generally leads to games having "more" in them, not paring down production to make games cheaper.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Nah. Even as tools have become more detailed and easier to do, production staff numbers have grown in the industry. When AAA becomes "easier", it generally leads to games having "more" in them, not paring down production to make games cheaper.
They're still an incredible deal. In the mid 1980s, by NES cartridges cost about $50 new. I was making $7.25 an hour. That was serious scratch back then. And there was so little control. I did not know of reviews and bought what looked good. I'd literally bought games that were outright broken.
Now? They're giving games away. I just got GTA V with DLC for free from Epic Games for PC. (Chimpzy typically calls out free games for us in this forum. He tipped me off about this one). Last week was Just Cause 4. For free.
$60 for a new AAA standard game today? I'm not making $7.25 anymore. That is a steal too.
Course, I don't buy the $120 collectors editions of anything. My wife would kill me.
I wonder if Gen 9, PS5 new standard games will stay at $60.