New Real Steel Trailer Mixes Robot Fistfights with Father/Son Bonding

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Real Steel Trailer Mixes Robot Fistfights with Father/Son Bonding

A father and son learn about themselves and each other thanks to the healing power of large robots pounding the mechanized snot out of each other.

Dreamworks has released a new trailer for its "Rock 'em, Sock 'em Robots" movie, Real Steel, not only giving more insight into the plot, but also showing off more of the rather impressive robot violence.

Real Steel - which is based on a short story by I Am Legend author Richard Matheson - looks like a blend of an underdog sports movie, a heart-warming tale of a father reconnecting with his estranged son, and Transfomers, just to give it that piquant fighting robot tang. Hugh Jackman stars as Charlie Kenton, a former boxer who reluctantly becomes a promoter when robots replace humans in the sport. As you can see from the trailer, he does not do especially well at it, until he teams up with his son Max, and his robot Adam.

It's an odd combination of elements, but going off what's in the trailer, it looks like it might just work. The world looks interesting, the fights - which were created using motion capture and advised by boxing legend Sugar Ray Leonard - look exciting, and Jackman brings his usual bucket load of charisma. It's not going to hold many surprises for regular moviegoers, but it looks like it's going to be entertaining all the same.

Real Steel arrives in theaters on October 7th.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5800434/new-real-steel-trailer-will-pummel-your-brain-with-robot-fists-and-father+son-drama]

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
quick buy the rights to hungry hippos, buckaroo and mousetrap.

Hollyweird officially out of ideas

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So wait this is a kid film? Well it cetainly look like one when Max found Adam and the whole father/ son bonding afterward.
I'm not too keen to watch it at the cinema so I will rent it once it's out on DVD.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Actually looks pretty cool. A bit like the podrace / c3po building parts of Star Wars ep1 mixed with The Iron Giant and ... and... something else I thought of whilst watching it and have since forgotten. Not transformers though.

And, hell, Michael Bay SO should have hired this movie's robot designer. They look FAR better.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
So... it's Rocky by way of the Iron Giant? I can totally get behind that. I mean, a father/son bonding movie is very touching and all, but the gratuitous robot fisticuffs is what elevates it beyond.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I can't think of a better way for a father and son to bond than watching robots punching eachother in the face. Parenting looks so much simpler in the future.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
hmmm once again thank you rod sterling, for being the worlds largest idea bucket

Hijax

Jun 1, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
I can't think of a better way for a father and son to bond than watching robots punching eachother in the face. Parenting looks so much simpler in the future.
This.

So very much.

Seriously, these robots look awesome!

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I like the idea of some boardroom execs going "So... Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots The Movie, anyone?"

But I actually thinks this looks pretty good. Could be worth a watch.

Isn't this the one Dreamworks have already planned a sequel for?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
On one hand, I'm exceedingly disappointed that a child seems to be a major plot element in this movie, which is something that pretty much always fails due to the child being annoying as hell and crap at acting. On the other, this kid might actually be a decent performer and not follow in the footsteps of the likes of Jake Lloyd of Star Wars: Episode I.

Call me cautiously optimistic.

lightsier

Nov 29, 2009
The idea is great, but the execution looks like a Disney super safe flick. So, I think I'll wait for home release.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Robot boxing? Awesome
Hugh Jackman? Awesome
And did I see Evangeline Lilly there? HOT! Ahem. Awesome.

In short, still looking forward to this.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
but it looks like it's going to be entertaining all the same.
aye. I will see this day 1 just cause i love watching robot fighting regardless of plot XD

which i guess explains y i ♥ the Bayformers movies. hehe

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
They have a Transformers Gen 1 feel, even though they aren't Transformers...

Still looks awesome, this is added to the list of movie's i WILL be seeing...