New Reality Show Stars The Sims

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Reality Show Stars The Sims

What do you get when you combine The Sims with The Real World? The UK's newest reality show.

Have you been just dying for a new reality show to come along? One based on a videogame? Apparently there's a demand for this sort of thing, because UK broadcaster Channel 4 has started airing a new online series created entirely from content generated in The Sims 3.

The show's called SuperMe, and is based around the concept of creating four Sims ("the SuperMes") and filming the hijinks they get into. Each of these Sims was created with "detailed traits and ambitions" and the production team at Somethin' Else then places the characters into specific scenarios, records the action as it unfolds, and edits the footage together with some accompanying narration.

According to Somethin' Else CEO Paul Bennun (<a href=http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/C4-Education-launches-digital-drama-with-virtual-actors_nid-1131.html>who spoke to Televisual), "[the show's] incredibly moving and funny at times, and a true collaboration between humans and robots. We have become very attached to them."

It's really not surprising that someone is doing this, since it's probably incredibly cheap to make a program where there's no cast to hire, no sets to build, and only a few people needed to perform the filming/editing. Still, the claim that SuperMe is "moving and funny" seems a bit more like wishful thinking than actual fact at this point. What do you think?

Source: The SuperMes via <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40023/New_Channel_4_show_set_in_the_world_of_The_Sims_3.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29&utm_content=Google+Reader> Gamasutra

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I think this'll be more fun than actually playing the game. Consider me interested.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Well, it couldn't possibly be worse than current reality shows right? At least they're not from New Jersey, and, you know, don't really talk.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I tried watching it but i got bored. It isnt an inherently bad idea, just that there wasnt really anything interesting in the video.

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
Waaghpowa said:
Well, it couldn't possibly be worse than current reality shows right? At least they're not from New Jersey, and, you know, don't really talk.
at leat this will feature some sort of pre progamed artificial inteligence

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
HavoK 09 said:
Waaghpowa said:
at leat this will feature some sort of pre progamed artificial inteligence
ZING!

Seriously. At least this isn't about a bunch of deep-fried bipedal twinkies going out and getting drunk/hooking up with each other.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Whilst I'm kind of surprised it took this long for somebody to run with this idea, I'm also kind of left wondering what the point is.

Perhaps I'm just missing something here, but they seem to be playing it straight. Surely it would have been better to get people like Adam Buxton or Greg Davies in to 'play' the Sims and actually - y'know - be funny.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
vansau said:
Still, the claim that SuperMe is "moving and funny" seems a bit more like wishful thinking than actual fact at this point. What do you think?
I'd say it's a combination of typical reality-TV editing* and the ELIZA effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA_effect].

(* As someone once said, people just want the same crap they had last time. Complexity? Hell no! We want an unambiguous villain! We want a campy sidekick! We want a hostile loner! We want an innocent country kid! Take scenes where people act like people instead of poorly-written caricatures, and with some careful editing you can easily make person X "the bad guy" and person Y "the ditz" just off of a few personality flaws.)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Being a Channel 4 reality show its either going to be incredibly boring, sterotypical or enragingly shit.

No i dont like Channel 4, and by that i mean i have a burning hatred for it.

Seriously they would be better off televising a Let's Play of a game like Devil May Cry 3.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
...Well, I liked it. Till the little friendship message at the end.

It pokes fun at The Sims more than it does actual reality type things >_>

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
That was honestly really bad. Like, really, really bad. Like crappy Youtube video bad. Like crappy, assigning, DeviantART, stupid, Sims fanfiction bad.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
... this is a real thing? Little wonder I stopped watching telly a long time ago, really.

Edit: To be fair, it was actually fairly watchable.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I say we adopt a collective "wait and see" policy on this one. Who knows? It might even be good.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Floobodaa hippledip. Flib slar, tropy nom om tak. Choree! Yetol wen puncheet - yetol wen ootle - multar ambrey cambrey micsys.

*nod*

Yup, the Simglish is about as comprehensible as most of the crap on telly.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
I tried to watch it, but it got pretty boring. Sounds interesting in concept, I just wish it was better made.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The funny thing is I think a lot of people who've played the Sims have done similar things on their own.

And considering, I think many of those people could do a lot better of a job than these guys..

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Soooo... it's a Let's Play, only on television instead of YouTube? What's next? A TV show dedicated to viral cat videos?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Please, Roosterteeth did something similar using the Sim game engine called the Strangerhood which is far more funnier than that.