New Release Window, Subtitle Emerge For Warcraft Film

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
I really don't care that much about Arthas. He was kinda cool in WC3 but I don't really want to see a whole movie about him. I want to see more aspects of the Warcraft universe than just a villain focused piece can really offer.

If he's the protagonist I can't imagine liking the movie - his story has been told and while it's exciting to WANT TO KILL HIM in WoW, it's not that interesting to go see a movie about his history which is already out there. I'd actually have liked to see a movie not based on the existing lore characters - while they should have a presence but not dominating the film - and actually creating new characters who reshape the WoW universe in their own way.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Asehujiko said:
I'm wondering if they will ever show what happened in Northrend after he killed Mal'Ganis but before he returned to Lordaeron.
Did you do the Matthais Lehner quests in Icecrown? I think that's covered there.

Edit: Wait, no, my mistake. That couldn't have been then, the timing doesnt match up I don't think.
I did, but that one jumps all over history and the only thing from that time period is Arthas slaughtering his own troops. The fight with Illidan and the raising of that frostwyrm happens long after that.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Sweet. This, the Hobbit, and... some other movie whose name escapes me are the only 3 movies I'm looking forward to.
Why is Arthas a ripoff of other stories?

Mar 16, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
Um, yeah, you DID skip WoW didn't you? Otherwise you'd realize that W3's lore IS WoW's lore. This movie is based on Blizzard's current hit game, not the RTS they stopped paying much attention to nearly a decade back.
Excuse me, I know the bloody MMO is based on WC3, but all I'm saying is I'm glad the movie isn't solely for those who spend $15 and 43,829 minutes a month on World of Warcraft.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
AstorSapolsky said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Um, yeah, you DID skip WoW didn't you? Otherwise you'd realize that W3's lore IS WoW's lore. This movie is based on Blizzard's current hit game, not the RTS they stopped paying much attention to nearly a decade back.
Excuse me, I know the bloody MMO is based on WC3, but all I'm saying is I'm glad the movie isn't solely for those who spend $15 and 43,829 minutes a month on World of Warcraft.
Actually, I seem to remember Blizz saying that WoW's story is entirely non-canon, since you pretty much kill off all the villains. Illidan, Kael'thas, some of the old gods, Arthas and Deathwing when they get round to them, all gone. How could they continue that?
But that could just be my foggy memory.

Dannie

Oct 4, 2009
It's Blizzard so I guess the developing time will be some years at least...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Meado said:
AstorSapolsky said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
Actually, I seem to remember Blizz saying that WoW's story is entirely non-canon, since you pretty much kill off all the villains. Illidan, Kael'thas, some of the old gods, Arthas and Deathwing when they get round to them, all gone. How could they continue that?
But that could just be my foggy memory.
Nyeh~~ Yes and no. In the case of Illidan, it was Akama and Maiev assisted by "some heroes of the Horde/Alliance." I expect Arthas will be similar, with a whole host of lore characters who have a beef with him.

Yogg-Saron could be Brann Bronzebeard and the Kirin Tor expedition plus heroes (even though they don't take part in the final battle). C'thun would be the Cenarion Circle and the Brood of Nozdormu. Naxxramas would be the Argent Crusade...

See where I'm going with this? WoW's 'lore' is canon, even though faceless, nameless heroes carry it out. It's the same was when I owned a boss who dies in Warcraft 3 (like Mannoroth) with a group of cannon fodder units. Story wise, it'll have been Illidan, Kael, Vashj and Akama who kicked his ass but I played it with my replaceable forces.

And they continue it by making up new lore. Before WoW I don't think there was a single mention of Ragnaros, Onyxia, C'thun (by name?), and a whole bunch of other bosses you slaughter your way through.

Heck, in Warcraft 3 they suddenly added two new playable races out of the blue along with a whole massive host of heroes and villains. And hey, they could always pull the old "***** went crazy, go kill him for epix." plan. *coughKael'thascough*

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Sam Raimi is not a bad choice for director. To be honest, this really is a difficult transition to make a film out of Warcraft.
I love the fact that Blizzard went on record when Uwe Boll expressed interest in directing, stating "We will not sell the movie rights, not to you... not ever to you."

I'm glad the film is not set as one of the games, as it allows flexibility. Of course, I would love to see one of the game storylines made into a film, but they can do that later. For now, I just want a good film. One that breaks the chain of bad to mediocre game-based films. Also, films that change the main storyline of the game, and lack in quality, need to be deleted from existence. Yes I'm talking about DOOM.