New Robocop Trailer: Addressing the Needs Of a "Robophobic" America

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Robocop Trailer: Addressing the Needs Of a "Robophobic" America

[video=8415 autoplay=0]
The second Robocop trailer actually shows some signs of life.

I haven't been a big booster of the Robocop remake that's in the works - the original is just too perfect to mess with - but I have to admit that this second trailer does show some potential. In the near future, the U.S. maintains orders in its overseas holdings with robots, including what is presumably a modernized ED-209 and humanoid androids that for the sake of convenience (and obviousness) I'm going to call Cylons.

Back home, however, something more palatable is needed on the streets - something more human. Thus, the new Robocop, who unlike his theatrical ancestor remembers who he is and what he lost. You can likely work out the rest of it from there: essential human goodness struggling against corporate imperialism in a man-versus-machine metaphor for our current troubled times.

Something like that, anyway, maybe - this is really more MovieBob's bag than mine - but the relevant point is that it suggests the possibility that this might actually turn out to be a decent movie. I had extremely low expectations for the first Robocop, after all, and it turned out to be much smarter and more fun than I could possibly have guessed. Maybe this one will pull off the same surprise.

Robocop is slated to hit screens in the U.S. in February 2014.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I agree, this trailer shows much more promise than the first one did.

Still we must not get too excited, lest it actually turn out to be a crock.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Now THAT looks like Robocop.

A little bit of social commentary, a little bit of current affairs, a crap tonne of explosions and action sequences, and Samuel L. Jackson shouting angry speeches.

I agree with Gigastar; the difficult thing now is not getting too excited and hyping it up too much in my mind.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, it certainly looks better than the first trailer did. But it still looks like it could be massively stupid.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It atleast looks like it taking things into a different direction.

It still lacks those dutch balls though.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Ponyholder said:
I hate to break it to you, but the first Robocop was massively stupid. (Still one of my favorites though)

Looking forward to this. It looks like it will fall into the niche that Pacific Rim reminded me of: "Big Dumb Fun"
Yeah, summed up pretty perfectly. The first trailer took itself too seriously, tried to be all stoic, this is far more on the ball.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
After seeing the vitriol from some people that followed the first trailer, I actually went and watched Robocop on Netflix to see what the big issue was.

Now, I'm tired of Hollywood remaking everything too, but to be honest I think Robocop is a prime candidate for a remake, as I don't really think the original still holds up. The two lead characters are blandness personified, the films 'message' is heavily dated and about as subtle as a 9-iron to the face, and I'm sorry, but you expect me to believe that a mega-corporation that pours billions upon billions of dollars into its law-enforcement projects, would manage to overlook in R&D that their brand new super mech...
Is rendered utterly useless by a flight of stairs.

I mean seriously? Fucking seriously?!

So yeah, this seems to me a case of a remake that could potentially improve on the original vastly.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ponyholder said:
Worgen said:
Well, it certainly looks better than the first trailer did. But it still looks like it could be massively stupid.
I hate to break it to you, but the first Robocop was massively stupid. (Still one of my favorites though)

Looking forward to this. It looks like it will fall into the niche that Pacific Rim reminded me of: "Big Dumb Fun"
Really depends on what they do with his family since that could be the sort of thing that really really hurts the movie.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Worgen said:
The same could be said of most trailers.

I'm honestly impressed a what they've shown, lets hope it makes it way to us unscathed.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
It certainly does look better than what's been released so far but I still think this looks terrible. They should have just named it Cybercop or something. Anything other than Robocop.

Aug 1, 2010
That actually did look pretty neat.

Still, every time I thought it started to look good, the trailer just had to remind me of how crap the suit looks.

Also PG-13 Robocop is still bullshit. Unless they somehow decide to drop that for a hard R, I have zero intentions of seeing this.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well that looks... dull. "Guuuh corporations and teh government am evuls now give us some more guns."
I don't dislike the message they're trying to send but they're doing it in the same hamfisted way every other thing ever is doing it it just gets real boring.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Not looking forward to it because I already know the entire movie! The first trailer gave it away when they literally were screaming about him fighting back and taking over.

You know I don't give a shit about being derivative as long as you are entertaining. I don't care that the new robocop looks ridiculous with that fleshy arm dangling off him. Heck I don't even care about the fact that this movie is going to be more about the family problems related to having a kick ass cyborg dad and less about the internal struggle of identity.

However you can't get me into a theatre seat when you showed me 90% of the movie in the first trailer. Compared to that this trailer is solid gold. It would have made me slightly interested in seeing this movie had it not been for the first one.

Manthraxx

Nov 11, 2009
I don't know about this. On one hand I would like to see it just to see what they did. On the other hand I don't want the movie studios to think it's okay, to degrade the story and universe, just to appeal to a wider audience...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
After seeing the vitriol from some people that followed the first trailer, I actually went and watched Robocop on Netflix to see what the big issue was.

Now, I'm tired of Hollywood remaking everything too, but to be honest I think Robocop is a prime candidate for a remake, as I don't really think the original still holds up. The two lead characters are blandness personified, the films 'message' is heavily dated and about as subtle as a 9-iron to the face, and I'm sorry, but you expect me to believe that a mega-corporation that pours billions upon billions of dollars into its law-enforcement projects, would manage to overlook in R&D that their brand new super mech...

So yeah, this seems to me a case of a remake that could potentially improve on the original vastly.
Way to miss the entire point behind ED-209.

He's supposed to personify consumerism gone mad. It's big, because bigger is better, even if it becomes completely impractical. Like, say, making humvees available to the public.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Did I say that wasn't the point?

Being 'The Point' doesn't excuse it from being stupid, unbelievable, and a really anti-climactic ending to the first sequence in the movie that actually got me excited.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
you expect me to believe that a mega-corporation that pours billions upon billions of dollars into its law-enforcement projects, would manage to overlook in R&D that their brand new super mech...

Yeah. It's an impractical, fatally flawed security system created by a corporation who couldn't give less a fuck for anything other than money. It makes that point very clear, so you really can't hold that against the film as that was the exact point of that scene.

And this new trailer looks even worse than the first. Christ, it looks so...dull.