New Screenshots Offer a First Look at Dawn of War III

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Screenshots Offer a First Look at Dawn of War III

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1318/1318952.jpgThese screenshots show off a first look at gameplay in Dawn of War III.

Dawn of War III was announced yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167333-Dawn-of-War-3-Announced-in-New-Trailer], and there was much rejoicing. The only thing that could have made us more excited would have been getting a look at gameplay.

Thanks to the folks over at PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/see-the-first-trailer-and-screenshots-for-dawn-of-war-3/], we can now do just that. The screenshots posted below show off units locked in combat. There's nothing shown of base building, but you can catch a glimpse of an orbital strike impacting. It really does nothing more than make us want even more looks at gameplay, but it looks like this is all we're getting for now.

Dawn of War III is currently in production at Relic Entertainment, and is due to release in 2017.

[gallery=6210]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Looks like Chapter Master Angelos got himself a suit of Cataphractii armor.

Also this has to be Alpha. The graphics aren't very good. No shading or scuffing or anything.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I can hardly wait to see which factions will be available through purchasable DLC come release day.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
They need to do some serious work between now and release because those environments and models look horrible.

Also, that PC Gamer interview [http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/] where they go into a bit detail regarding design is raising a lot of red flags to me. The

most accessible RTS yet, and that means making battles easier to read.
Making games more 'accessible' tends to be bad in my experience.

Relic's artists have taken more inspiration from the colourful paint jobs of the tabletop game. It's a step away from the dark doom-laden tone of the fiction, and the game looks fantastic in motion.
It better look damn good in motion because it looks horrible in screenshots. And why would you want to move away from the grim aesthetic? It looked fucking great in the damn trailer you just showed us. It looked great in the past two games, it looks great in most GW 40K artwork.

Elite units
This sounds oddly like a MOBA...

inspired by Dota's
...fuck me.

I'm still really excited for this, but those things worry me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Objectable said:
Is... Is that a Warhound Titan?
No. Its an Imperial Knight [https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Imperial_Knight].

One could argue there isnt much difference between them, but im going with Knights because it says so on the Steam store page.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Silentpony said:
Looks like Chapter Master Angelos got himself a suit of Cataphractii armor.

Also this has to be Alpha. The graphics aren't very good. No shading or scuffing or anything.
That was my first thought. The space marines seem to be more detailed, but that green offends my eyes.

Sep 24, 2008
Ok. That pose in the third pictures made the Brother Captain look like Mario with a Space Marine power up that comes complete with hammer.

Worrying now...

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
At first I read "The screenshot (singular) posted below show off units locked in combat." So I thought the first picture was the only one. And yeah, he does appear to be quite deeply entrenched in combat.

Also,

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If the game has Imperial Guard, they'll get access to the titans proper. They got the Baneblade super heavy tank. Those things are designed to hunt down and kill titans. Tyranid Biotitans?

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
008Zulu said:
If the game has Imperial Guard, they'll get access to the titans proper. They got the Baneblade super heavy tank. Those things are designed to hunt down and kill titans. Tyranid Biotitans?
I don't play Apocalypse (or Escalation, for that matter) in the tabletop game, but if I recall correctly the Tyranids have Gargantuan Creatures that would serve as the Giant Game Winner unit. Of course, the first game gave Imperial Guard Baneblades and Space Marines Land Raiders, when in the tabletop game a Land Raider is just a really beefy vehicle and the Baneblade is a Titan killer.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I would like to see the ability to choose Space Marine chapters and have it affect more than color scheme. Not a whole new faction, per se, but getting access to the very faction specific stuff like Baal Predators for Blood Angels or Thunderwolves for Space Wolves. When DoW came out I think the chapters were essentially color schemes in the tabletop game, but the 40k I am familiar with has a lot of really cool chapter-specific units.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
Will there be an option to turn the brightness back to 'grimdark'? Can I build my army before the battle starts? Will I be able to field more than 1 sort of Land Raider at once?

No to all of these? *Goes back to tinkering with DoW2:R campaign files*

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
These are clearly early screenshots. I don't even now why they bother sending graphics that early to the press.

Making the game more accessible... That's usually the shortest path to Hell.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
its going to be different playing a battle or two as space marines then the eldar then as orks thats for sure