New sculpture dedicated to Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife Coretta is unveiled

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It's been a long time since I've seen such a near unanimous reaction to something on Twitter like this.
As if a unanimous opinion on Twitter would impact my opinion...

It really is an interesting piece. It is a strange, inhuman shape in some ways, but it's for a purpose. If those were full sculptures of the two people depicted, you would focus on their faces, especially since one of them is infinitely recognizable. This forces to you focus on the subject of the piece, "The Embrace", the action of the arms, because there is nothing else depicted. Without even considering the symbolism involved, I think this is a creative artistic decision.

Reactions: Ag3ma

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
As if a unanimous opinion on Twitter would impact my opinion...

It really is an interesting piece. It is a strange, inhuman shape in some ways, but it's for a purpose. If those were full sculptures of the two people depicted, you would focus on their faces, especially since one of them is infinitely recognizable. This forces to you focus on the subject of the piece, "The Embrace", the action of the arms, because there is nothing else depicted. Without even considering the symbolism involved, I think this is a creative artistic decision.
Wasn't meant to sway you, just an observation.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I can see the point and I "get it", but from an aesthetic standpoint I'm not a fan.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Needs more references to FBI trying to encourage suicide.

The FBI–King suicide letter or blackmail package was an anonymous 1964 letter and package by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) meant to blackmail Martin Luther King Jr.[1] The suicide letter was part of the FBI's COINTELPRO operation against King.

History
On November 21, 1964, a package that contained the letter and a tape recording allegedly of King's sexual indiscretions was delivered to Coretta Scott King, the wife of Martin Luther King Jr., and later to King Jr. Although the letter was anonymously written, Martin Luther King Jr. correctly suspected the FBI sent the package.[1][2] Coretta Scott King said the tapes comprised only "mumbo jumbo".[3] The letter does not specify precisely what action it is urging King to undertake; King understood the letter as advocating that he commit suicide,[1] although some have suggested that it was merely urging him to decline the Nobel Peace Prize (which he won in 1964)[4] or step out of leadership.[1]

On March 8, 1971, an activist group called the Citizens' Commission to Investigate the FBI burglarized a local office of the FBI in Media, Pennsylvania, and stole classified documents. Part of those documents revealed a secret FBI operation called COINTELPRO. Those documents were later sent to newspapers and members of the United States Congress. During the Church Committee hearings and investigations in 1975, a copy of the "suicide letter" was discovered in the work files of William C. Sullivan, deputy FBI director.[5] He has been suggested as its author.[6][1] Once the surveillance tapes of King were publicly revealed, Bernard Lee and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) sought to have tapes gained by wiretaps destroyed in a lawsuit.[7] Their request was denied by United States District Court for the District of Columbia judge John Lewis Smith Jr.[7] He ordered all tapes sealed until the year 2027 and placed into the National Archives and Records Administration.[7]

Since 1977, attempts have been made to release the recordings in the United States Congress. Republican Senator Jesse Helms from North Carolina in 1983 sought to reveal information about King in order to undermine the establishment of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.[8] The Martin Luther King Jr. Records Collection bill, which would designate King government files for "presumption of immediate disclosure", was introduced in Congress by Democratic Representative Cynthia McKinney from Georgia in 2002 and 2005, by Democratic Senator John Kerry from Massachusetts in 2006, and by Democratic Representative John Lewis from Georgia in 2010, but never passed by Congress.

A copy of the letter is known to exist in J. Edgar Hoover's confidential files at the National Archives.[1]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
MLK taught us to judge people by the content of their character, not the colour of their skin. As he didn't say anything about judging sculptures, I'm going to give my honest, unbaised reaction.

...what the fuck is this?!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It took a minute to get my head around it, but I don't mind it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's...fine. I think it mostly looks really odd because of the flat spot between the shoulders. Personally I think that if the artist didn't want to include faces they should still have included necks, otherwise the lack of anything between the shoulders looks really off-putting.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm apathetic, but I could say that about my response to most art if I'm honest (I did go to a gallery once, I promise).

Reactions: Hawki