New Silent Hill Games

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
At this point, I wonder why they don't just make a bunch of visual novels tied into Silent Hill instead. It would really save on money and they could throw more stuff at the wall and, thanks to the law of averages, get something to stick.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Short Message was really lame. Flanderizing Silent Hill's status as "psychological horror" into all that teenage angst stuff, complete with "If you struggle with suicidal thoughts, dial this number" disclaimer at the beginning is really doing it a disservice. It's just... I don't know, it's banal, that's what it feels like to me. It's nice that they got Yamaoka and Ito back for music and monster design but everything else about it might as well be from a forgettable indie horror game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Short Message was really lame. Flanderizing Silent Hill's status as "psychological horror" into all that teenage angst stuff, complete with "If you struggle with suicidal thoughts, dial this number" disclaimer at the beginning is really doing it a disservice. It's just... I don't know, it's banal, that's what it feels like to me. It's nice that they got Yamaoka and Ito back for music and monster design but everything else about it might as well be from a forgettable indie horror game.
I want to try to be sympathetic, because I had something of a similar experience (at least regarding isolation and alienation; nobody was demanding n00dz) growing up, and I absolutely understand that social media only amplifies the problem. But from what little gameplay I could stomach watching, it feels like The Short Message was only lacking a carnival barker inviting you to "step on up and see the trauma".

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I didn’t mind it, and I played the PC port. It just felt really by-the-numbers, and it cashed in on the movie somewhat with visual effects. I probably enjoyed Origins a bit more as a game, even though it was just a PSP title.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I kinda just want them to remaster the original games at this point.
They lost a source code to SH2. That's why it was in such a broken state on the HD version on 7th generation consoles. In order for this to work, they're going to have to reverse engineer from an actual PS2 CD, and possibly the first game's disc. It can be done, but it would take a lot of time and effort. Something I doubt Konami is going to be that invested in doing or hiring somebody to do.