New Ski Goggles Include HUD, Bring SSX to Life

Ellstar1987

Nov 19, 2009
Cool but pretty pointless when your eyes work fine, could also be distracting and dangerous, i would rather have a new sxx game.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
hittite said:
Supreme Unleaded said:
The Great JT said:
All this could be avoided if they'd just make a new SSX game along the lines of SSX Tricky. I loved that game.
Oh god yes, SSX Tricky was great, they need to make a new one. However I did like SSX 3 better, i just liked the beautiful scenery, and soundtrack was the best out of ANY game, I'm STILL listening to it.

Still, a new SSx game is way overdo.
Agreed. Listening to the same loop of "Tricky" over and over got old really fast, but 3 just had some amazing music. Flying 4000 feet in the air while doing a 1080 backflip Matriculator with "Play it Loud" running in the background was just too amazing to top.

And it I had HUD goggles, I'd never take them off.
I know, and i loved that when you got really high the music kinda droned out so all you could hear was the wind and ambient noise as you fell from a hight to rival a skydiver.

SecondmateFlint

Nov 24, 2009
I'd be worried about people wearing these. Given it's freaking awesome! But i'd be a little nervous snowboarding with people who aren't watching the slope, they're texting in their goggles, or something like that. I'm not sure if we as humans could handle all that multi-tasking.

Still, it is pretty cool...

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
You know, after all this time, I'd probably even settle for a port of SSX to my PS3....
My whole family used to play that game together. We'd all sit around the TV and pass the controllers to each other after every race. Good times....

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
ma55ter_fett said:
Furburt said:
It's only cool once its used in a gun battle.
little paperclip icon pops up in the HUD

"It looks like you're in a gun fight. Want some help?"

or

"Looks like you've been shot. Want some help?"

and then

"Looks like you're bleeding out. Want some help?"

assumeing your HUD runs on windows 95.
I HATE THAT FUCKING PAPERCLIP!

OT: It's a pretty sweet thing. Too bad I despise Winter Sports games.

roflchopter

Jan 26, 2009
Furburt said:
It's only cool once its used in a gun battle.
furburt...are u the first to quote on everything? haha
and that thing is completely bad ass...prolly will fail within the firt 5 minutes of playing though.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
i'm imagining like the ECHO Hud from Borderlands that would pop up if you put those on. with health points, ammo and xp.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
I'd very, very much have something like this for my motorbike ... even though at $175 the ski version would be the second most expensive item of gear after the helmet, and then only by a few percent. It'd be well worth it for the safety factor of not having to keep glancing down at the instruments, which on a naked-type are quite a bit further out of the typical eyeline than on a supersports or in a car. Plus you could add a few extras besides the speed, fuel and basic "idiot lights" I have - revs, gear indicator, simplistic sat nav interface (next turn warning), rough fuel range, remaining ammo and oil slick dispenser charges, and maybe a smart speed indicator that uses both the GPS and normal speedo to account for errors or dropouts in one or the other... with very little extra cost, unlike the trouble of buying, mounting and plumbing in a physical unit.

Infrared camera or some kind of peripheral vision extension system (with, or used exclusively for, outline highlighting) wouldn't go amiss to aid with mirror blindspots and poorly visible cars/pedestrians/obstructions. Winter is a shit time to be riding simply because of generally reduced visibility (darkness, misting) mixed with reduced evasion ability (less tyre traction, and poorer physical mobility as you're got up like Bibendum) and improving the former one would mean less reliance on the latter.

Have to be careful to get the illumination level right though, or have it adjustable / have an ambient light sensor so it can be seen easily in daytime but not be distracting at night... unlike on my actual dials where the high beam indicator lamp is so bright it almost drowns out the headlight itself. Suppose this isn't so big a problem for skiing, though ;) where you can probably just get away with a simple non-backlit mono LCD.

I want to sign the "WE NEED MORE SSX" petition by the way. It's the last console game I was actually much cop at / played very much, and the last one I really played competitively against family etc. (Well, OK, either Tricky or SSX3, can't remember which. The one with crosscountry skier wierdos in it as well as boarders :D) --- It'd have to go all out on the music licensing though, as it will have to include the tunes from all previous games to prevent someone getting upset. I, for example, would be far from happy to be without the original Finished Symphony, Shake What Ya Mama Gave Ya and Song For Dot from the first one.

A well balanced semi-arcade interpretation of an inherently (PUN ALERT) cool sport, with that right mix of easy to pick up, hard to master that also made Tony Hawks good for a non-skater (and non-snowboarder) and a fantastic visual style that made the PS2 seem even better than it actually was. Primary coloured lights on snow and ice tunnels down something the size of Everest... very yes. Give that kind of sensibility free reign on PS3/X360 or the eventual successors and see how it comes out.

Or just port a cunning conglomeration of original/tricky/ssx3 onto the Wii, co-opting the Tony Hawk skateboard peripheral or the Wii Fit balance board, and be done with it. It's at least as powerful as the PS2, right?

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
I want a pair of these like NAO. Honestly I'm generally not big on getting the latest tech because I'm cheap, but these are just awesome.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Military applications?

I know it'll probably be practical things like automatic distress signals but that is pretty awesome.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Well, if the displays are voice activated, I would get one just because it is so awesome. But seeing as there are button thingies on the side I would assume it isn't voice activated, so ka-bleh. Still awesome though.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
You think the reason we've lost the health bar in FPS's is to make them more like these in their military application form?

Did the gaming manufacturers know about this years ago?!?!

Conspiracy!

hahaha, nah, these are cool, I want biking ones!