New Ski Goggles Include HUD, Bring SSX to Life

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
New Ski Goggles Include HUD, Bring SSX to Life

A brand new line of high-tech ski goggles will display all kinds of information with a miniature HUD.

Recon Instruments' upcoming Alpine Goggles will bring high-tech out onto the slopes. The goggles include a miniature display inside the lens that uses many different types of sensors to make you feel like you're living in the future.

The goggles will be able to show information to the wearer such as his/her speed, altitude, jump height and distance, current temperature, altitude, and they'll include a stopwatch. A cellphone can also be connected to display texts or other call information.

The coolest part of the Alpine Goggles are their GPS capabilities. Hands-free maps will show you where you are on the mountain, and even where your friends are as well. Never again will you wonder where the cool kids are while you're stuck on the bunny slopes. More importantly, if you're unlucky enough to get yourself in trouble, the goggles can help a search and rescue team to find you.

Ski goggles seem like the perfect place to put a HUD, I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. If Recon's website is any indication, the company has plans to incorporate the technology into other areas such as moto-cross, biking, jogging, swimming, scuba diving, and military applications. First, it'll have to get the Alpine Goggles out on shelves; a working model hasn't been demonstrated yet, but they are available for pre-order with a release set for 2010. They'll be pricey at around $350 or more, but considering their abilities that doesn't seem all that bad for a gadget that makes real life into a videogame.

Source: PopSci [http://www.reconinstruments.com/company.htm]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
All this could be avoided if they'd just make a new SSX game along the lines of SSX Tricky. I loved that game.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
That's awesome!
But does it have to be limited to skiing? I mean, you could totally wear these mountain biking, hiking, etc.! Heck, depending on how nerdy or weird you want to look, you could wear them around town, biking or not! GPS right there? Texts coming up? Speed? How freaking sweet! All it needs it a hookup for an MP3 player (Or one built in) and I'd totally go through the social mockery of wearing it in public!

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Furburt said:
It's only cool once its used in a gun battle.
little paperclip icon pops up in the HUD

"It looks like you're in a gun fight. Want some help?"

or

"Looks like you've been shot. Want some help?"

and then

"Looks like you're bleeding out. Want some help?"

assumeing your HUD runs on windows 95.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Furburt said:
It's only cool once its used in a gun battle.
Interestingly enough, the sub-menu 'applications' on the website mentions 'lightweight personal display solutions for military applications'. The future is coming to the battlefield...

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
The U.S. Army has already been working on stuff like this, in the Future Force Warrior project. The stuff from the GRAW games? Not all of it is as sci-fi as you'd think.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
A HUD-integrated goggles? Friggin finally. The future is here, at last. Just think of all the potential applications!

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
laserwulf said:
The U.S. Army has already been working on stuff like this, in the Future Force Warrior project. The stuff from the GRAW games? Not all of it is as sci-fi as you'd think.
Certainly not. The Bush administration was all up in this doo-doo, so to speak. This, and the robot planes and military moon bases. I'm not sure how much Obama is still interested in.

The soldier of the future (at least he looks pretty cool):
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/04_01/robocop0904_639x800.jpg

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Ski goggles seem like the perfect place to put a HUD, I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.
Rodenstock have done a set of HUD equipped cycling glasses for a few years now, but they cost 900 Euros
http://www.tredzblog.co.uk/images/2007/11/08/informance_glasses2.jpg
http://www.tredzblog.co.uk/2007/11/cycling-technol.html

As for these ons, they look cool, very cool, as well as being just expensive enough to be cool and not extravagantly silly.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
I don't even ski and I want one of these things.
Ditto. Reading through that, my first reaction was YES! DO WANT!

I'd love to live my life with a HUD. It'd be awesome.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Bet they still fog up though.

Very cool, though I still prefer Lauren Admire's high tech contact lenses.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
The Great JT said:
All this could be avoided if they'd just make a new SSX game along the lines of SSX Tricky. I loved that game.
Oh god yes, SSX Tricky was great, they need to make a new one. However I did like SSX 3 better, i just liked the beautiful scenery, and soundtrack was the best out of ANY game, I'm STILL listening to it.

Still, a new SSx game is way overdo.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
The Great JT said:
Oh god yes, SSX Tricky was great, they need to make a new one. However I did like SSX 3 better, i just liked the beautiful scenery, and soundtrack was the best out of ANY game, I'm STILL listening to it.

Still, a new SSx game is way overdo.
Agreed. Listening to the same loop of "Tricky" over and over got old really fast, but 3 just had some amazing music. Flying 4000 feet in the air while doing a 1080 backflip Matriculator with "Play it Loud" running in the background was just too amazing to top.

And it I had HUD goggles, I'd never take them off.