New Skyrim Special Edition Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Comparisons to the Original

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Skyrim Special Edition Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Comparisons to the Original

With one week left until Skyrim Special Edition arrives, Bethesda has released a new gameplay trailer for the remaster.

One week from today, the Skyrim Special Edition will launch on PS4 and Xbox One. This new remaster brings the much-loved game onto the newest consoles, as well as updating its PC version. It's also bringing mods to the console versions for the first time.

The new gameplay trailer features a few comparison shots between the old and the new versions, as well as footage of various enemies, locations, and NPCs from the game in their new incarnation.

Skyrim Special Edition will be released on October 28 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Remember, if you already own the Legendary Edition of Skyrim (on Steam), or the base game and all the DLC (on Steam), you'll find the new Special Edition on your Steam account free of charge next Friday. Want to see if your PC can handle it? You can find the system requirements here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168594-Skyrim-Special-Edition-Goes-Gold-PC-System-Requirements-Released].

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
looks very lush and beautiful and im looking forward to racking up another 1000 hours in skyrim :)

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
What was the point of another Current & Last Console comparison if we already seen these before? At best this now makes me think that either Bethesda won't bring Skyrim to Nintendo's Switch. Or Bethesda is scared that they'll have fewer sales on PS4 & Xbox One.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I love being reminded how irrelevant graphics are to me. Cause I literally see no difference other than its brighter? For all I know its just 6am in game vs 12pm in game. If I wasnt getting it for free, I wouldnt buy it.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
What will this add besides new graphics? The game was already pretty so there was no need for a new release just for graphics, tell me there's something more.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
What will this add besides new graphics? The game was already pretty so there was no need for a new release just for graphics, tell me there's something more.
Mods on console. Or, rather, 'lots of mods on one console' and 'barely anything on another'.

If you're on PC none of that will matter, obviously, but that's why you're possibly getting it for free and the console peasants (like me) will be shelling out for another version with slightly prettier visuals and also mods [on one console and kindof-mods on the other].

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
No safe transfer sadly means i'm not getting it. Doesn't seem to be much of a graphical upgrade anyway.
And 10 to 1 it is broken for 2 years.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
I think I'll pass for now. SKSE won't be compatible with it for quite a while and even most normal mods may require a conversion, meaning that a lot of these things aren't available at launch.
And besides the vegetation, I didn't notice too much of an upgrade to justify a switch just yet. At least I get it free, so I won't have anything to complain about in regards to pricing.

Poetic Nova said:
No safe transfer sadly means i'm not getting it. Doesn't seem to be much of a graphical upgrade anyway.
On PC, safes apparently should transfer, if the game isn't too modded.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
I'm pretty excited, since I don't have any of my old saves, and I wasn't using a lot of mods. This'll be a good opportunity to go back to Skyrim.

Starting a new character around November is almost a yearly tradition for me now.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
Xan Krieger said:
Mods on console. Or, rather, 'lots of mods on one console' and 'barely anything on another'.

If you're on PC none of that will matter, obviously, but that's why you're possibly getting it for free and the console peasants (like me) will be shelling out for another version with slightly prettier visuals and also mods [on one console and kindof-mods on the other].
I've heard it also runs in 60fps (for PC anyway not sure on consoles)

Doesn't that give way to new options with the modding community etc? Less limitations etc.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Buizel91 said:
You like how it's always ran at 60fps? The only technical achievement this "upgrade" is bringing only lies with the main .EXE for it not being 32-bit but 64-bit.

It's not really that great but might be good when I use the Civilwar mod.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
But...will the PS4 have the same fucked up save issues as the PS3 version did?

Because...yeah...at this point my PS3 Skyrim save (even after doing damn near ever thing I could find on the next) is basically a slideshow after a few minutes of game play.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Bindal said:
Poetic Nova said:
On PC, safes apparently should transfer, if the game isn't too modded.
I played the original on the PS3. So it means starting from scratch if I was to get Skyrim Remastered.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Definitely great on PC if you're running a fairly vanilla game. However, since SKSE will likely not be coming to the Special Edition, I will not actually be playing it. Still, some people aren't into heavily modding their games, so it's nice for them. Personally, I can't imagine playing the game without SkyUI or a bunch of others that require SKSE.

And of course, it'll be a treat for Xbox users. I'm sure some of the classics will be able to be ported over.

Edit: Seems that SKSE will be coming out after all. http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1568922-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/page-4#entry25167720 Still some uncertainty, but definitely more hopeful than before.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
mad825 said:
You like how it's always ran at 60fps? The only technical achievement this "upgrade" is bringing only lies with the main .EXE for it not being 32-bit but 64-bit.

It's not really that great but might be good when I use the Civilwar mod.
I think the 64 bit thing will be fairly significant if you like to mod the hell out of the game. In the future, when PCs with 128GB RAM are the norm, the difference will be pretty stark. And right now, you get a lot of stability from not needing a dozen mods to make it pretty.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Xan Krieger said:

I'm on PC, now I probably won't even download it. All that time plus starting over for what? No new content? I don't even use mods, the game is great vanilla with the official add-ons.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Tanis said:
But...will the PS4 have the same fucked up save issues as the PS3 version did?

Because...yeah...at this point my PS3 Skyrim save (even after doing damn near ever thing I could find on the next) is basically a slideshow after a few minutes of game play.
I think that was caused by the way interacting with the world increased the RAM requirements, because everything not at its spawn point needed to be recorded. The RAM requirement isn't that high, but RAM was very tight on the PS3 and no-one thought to test the game by just playing it for fifty hours or so. Since current consoles have sixteen times more RAM, I don't think it will be a problem.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Looks like current Skyrim with a HD texture pack and one of the overzealous lighting mods.

Seriously, they could have jumped on Nexus Mods and paid some folks there peanuts and got the same result.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
Honestly looking at the old console versions I feel sorry for them, this update was purely for console users. Not us.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
All that time plus starting over for what? No new content? I don't even use mods, the game is great vanilla with the official add-ons.
The bold and the underlined rather point to a huge contradiction...
Buizel91 said:

Doesn't that give way to new options with the modding community etc? Less limitations etc.
As has been pointed out; it could run 60 and then some. And no, framerate wouldn't affect what could or couldn't be done with modding.
Zhukov said:
Looks like current Skyrim with a HD texture pack and one of the overzealous lighting mods.

Seriously, they could have jumped on Nexus Mods and paid some folks there peanuts and got the same result.
Well, as as been fairly glaringly established it's not really for the PC crowd given ENB's and years of modding is there to overhaul it. Mods have never been available on console for Skyrim, so if nu-Skyrim's supported well then it's pretty much a completely new game.

Even being a--- well, 'fan'/regular player of TES as well as a console gamer, I personally don't see much reason for it to exist even for those reasons. I'm skeptical whether it'll be supported as well as Fallout 4 has, given it's an old game, and Fallout 4 had the added novelty of being the first game on console to run mods. Bethesda have clearly enjoyed the success of modded Fallout on console XB1, so if they can knock out a slightly fancier looking Skyrim and add mods, then that's pretty much a no-brainer, even if we're just considering the potential profits. Plus, Skyrim wasn't BC, and I wouldn't have minded firing it up every now and then. Nu-Skyrim + mods should ensure I at least have some reasons to start a new character [and finally do some virtual camping in a properly dark vritual night].

Plus, the more popular modding becomes on consoles becomes the better for everyone. It'd, y'know, help if Sony stopped being morons but hopefully they'll see sense eventually.