New Star Trek Series Boldly Goes Into Production

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Sixcess said:
Enough real world time has passed since Star Trek last aired on television that they can do as much of a time skip as they like, leaving themselves only as bound to the original canon as they wish to be.
Agreed, call me if they start working on Star Trek The Next Next Generation.

I wouldn't care much about being part of the alternate universe if there was someone at the helm I trusted . . . but it's one of the guys who brought us two Trek movies I dislike.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Abramsverse, eh? Well, maybe they could do something interesting with it. All I ask is less pew-pew and more of this:

I'm still hoping it's set in the Prime universe, though. I'm in the middle of a DS9 binge (my personal favorite), and it made me realize just how badly I miss 90's Trek...

On a related note, Star Trek Online is offering some free premium content in light of this announcement. Players can get their hands on the NX-Enterprise and crew uniforms (Prime and Mirror universe variants) for free if they login before Nov. 4th, 10:30 a.m. (PST). Just thought I'd throw that out there for any other STO Escapists.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Set in Abramsverse? No thanks. Really, no fuckin' thanks. Just continue the beautiful universe that existed before that dolt tried to play with it.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wait, does this mean that it'll get like one episode aired on television then go straight to streaming? Because in Canada we don't get CBS Prime, which means someone (Netflix, Amazon or Bell) is going to grab the streaming rights if that's the case. If that's what it means I hope it's Netflix because I'm not paying for CraveTV or Amazon Prime.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
"presumably within 2009's rebooted universe."

My thought process:
New Star Trek series? FFFFFF YES!!!!! Finally!
Rebooted universe? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, I'd hate that SO much. :'(
I'm personally more bothered that this will be on a proprietary, paid service that can only be watched in the US. While I am, myself, an American, the other parts mean I'm unlikely to see it even if it's good.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
"presumably within 2009's rebooted universe."

My thought process:
New Star Trek series? FFFFFF YES!!!!! Finally!
Rebooted universe? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Seriously, I'd hate that SO much. :'(
I'm with you there I could watch beyond the first 5 min of into darkness and barely finished the Star trek 2009. Oh well there are always he classics and I just bought Babylon 5 to watch as well.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
I'm 100% ok with Abramverse as a setting.
If it's going to be a different sort of crew and new ship, then what does it matter, really? You're not going to be seeing Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto. At best, you'll get Enterprise and her crew mentioned in a conversation every now and then.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Eh, don't care. I stopped watching trek after the abortion that was Voyager and the total wasted oppurtunity that was enterprise. ST was a good film but Into Darkness was pretty crappy which even Benedict Cumberbatch as the villain couldn't save.

So unless this is gonna be super amazing and well written, pass.

Dec 10, 2012
Loethlin said:
I'm 100% ok with Abramverse as a setting.
If it's going to be a different sort of crew and new ship, then what does it matter, really?
Because the Abrams universe is an abomination and must be cleansed! His destruction of our hallowed history cannot be countenanced. The very existence of Abrams's version of Trek cheapens us all, and I for one will not stand for it!

For real, the Abramsverse is doo-doo, through and through. With such a rich history to draw from, there is no excuse for using the flat, tasteless version we've had in the last 2 films.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Loethlin said:
If it's going to be a different sort of crew and new ship, then what does it matter, really? You're not going to be seeing Chris Pine or Zachary Quinto. At best, you'll get Enterprise and her crew mentioned in a conversation every now and then.
That's not the issue, though. The issue is that Abram's reboot was just Star Wars with a glossy iPod veneer, wacky comic relief, and a fairly basic 'good vs evil' structure. Which was okay for the first film, I enjoyed it, as dumb as it was, but that veneer started to wear thin by Into Darkness.

Basically, it was less "philosophical drama, epic conflict, and exploring the unknown" and more "pew pew lasers, whiz-bang spaceships, and funny looking aliens". It was essentially sci-fi for kids. I.E. Star Wars.

It's a formula that works for < 2 hour films. Not so much for long, serialized mythos.

Now, if they only adopt the aesthetic of the new films but go with the narrative structure and story telling of the prior series, I can live with that. Otherwise....well....we already have Star Wars TV shows on the air. We don't need a show pretending to be another one.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
Don't you think you guys are being a bit hysterical about it? Isn't Kurzman the Trekkie of the group responsible for Abramverse? If that's true, I believe he wouldn't murder the show at all.

All I want is to see a new Trek series, really. If it has to be Abramverse, so be it. If it's crap, there's nothing that would convince me to keep watching, the same was I stopped watching Enterprise, which was crap, by the way, even if set in the Prime timeline. Do you want another ENT? I think not.

So far all I hear "but the movies were bad, booohooohoo" (and I mostly agree), and not one explanation of why the verse itself is bad. ST dealt with possibilities of alternative timelines since TOS, so I really don;t see a reason why a new series set in a different timeline would be so bad. JJ Abrams won't be involved in it, wrecking another franchise, so what's the problem with the verse? Especially since it doesn't just toss the original verse out the window. Both are valid, so it's not like you enjoying it would mean you can't like the original as well.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
MC1980 said:
Loethlin said:
Kurzman the Trekkie
He is known as Kurtzman the Horrible Scriptwriter (along with his Pal Orci) to me.

See exhibit A: Into Darkness.

That man doesn't bode well for this new series at all. He's a Damon Lindelof type.
Oh I don't know, I think Berman and Braga were worse for Star Trek as a whole. But, Kurtzman didn't actually step on my tit so far, so maybe I'm not in the position to judge.

There was also that horrible ep Anne Rice wrote, by re-writing her shitty witch novel into 43 minutes of fanfiction, and the whole of s3 of TOS. The Troi space baby episode. The Quark eps in DS9. The list goes on. Star Trek is not perfect.

And I still don't know what's wrong with the verse, and not the movies.

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
MC1980 said:
Hey, I'm not arguing the (horribly inconsistent) quality of the shows, lore or hack producers of days past. I'm just saying that Kurtzman is shit at his job.
And I'll have to trust you on that, because, like I said, he hasn't step on my tit yet.

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Not a big fan, but I'd be happier if they turned this over to Ronald Moore.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Kurtzman? The Kurtzman, Orci & Abrams trio pretty much destroyed the franchise as far as I am concerned. Hearing that trek might finally be coming back...only to hear that one of the three folks I am least interested in seeing attached to the franchise is heading it- that's some serious happiness/sadness whiplash I just experienced.

Going by the last two movies, my expectations... I'll just let this clip from Stargate articulate more or less the sort of thing I expect from this new series:

I can't see this turning out as something I'd enjoy.