New Star Trek Series Pitch Approaches Warp Speed

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
Enterprise failed because the stories were so weak. After the time-traveling Nazi's I was done, (despite some thoughtful episodes in season 4). Voyager was neat but it was more of a "You liked Next Gen? Here's some more in a different package". If we are to believe that the new Star Trek entry will have a coherant, pre-planned story instead of an open-ended "we'll leave the season with a cliff hanger and fix it later, it's not like we can write ourselves into a corner!" I'd be delighted to watch it.

Even more so if they make it available to watch online like South Park, or Terminator: SCC

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Is the world ready for a new Star Trek series? Following the collapse of Enterprise and the box office failure of Star Trek: Nemesis [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Nemesis-Two-Disc-Collectors/dp/B000A6T1KE/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1314284196&sr=1-3], the feeling seemed to be that the viewing public had had its fill of boldly going where no-one had gone before. But then J.J. Abrams blew the lid off things with his 2009 Star Trek reboot, which proved that the franchise could attract a mainstream audience. Foster appears ready to follow the same path; he said the series will be "highly-energized with a much younger cast, and uses cutting-edge future technologies with newly-envisioned special effects and designs."

So what say you, Trekkers? Does this sound like a good idea, or does the thought of a new Trek series make you want to go looking for your Firefly [http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Blu-ray-Nathan-Fillion/dp/B001EN71CW/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1314284256&sr=1-2] DVD set?

Source: Geektyrant [http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/8/24/david-foster-gives-details-on-his-new-star-trek-series-pitch.html]

I am definitely ready for a new series if they truly bring it back in the spirit of TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I loved all three of them and every year and a half or so I re-watch most every episode from those three. On favoritism level, DS9 is first, and TNG and Voyager are very close and tied for second.

Star Trek Nemesis may have been a flop, but I loved it.

The new Star Trek movie reboot may have been a "success", but I thought it was as steaming pile of crap. I know they pulled the whole alternate universe thing, but I didn't feel it.

I really hope he rethinks the stupid idea of a much younger cast. That is one of the big reasons I thought the new movie was horrible. Supposedly, with me being 25(23 at the time of the movie), that younger cast was suppose to reach me and draw me in. What drew me in was the franchise name, I thought the young cast was awful, I definitely couldn't relate. They acted more like the preppy "cool kids" and jocks that plague high schools than highly trained space cadets.

Star Trek has been about the image of the future and technology. The cast has been about relatively everyday type characters and personalities so that people can relate. I won't object to one maybe two relatively young characters, but they better not be of a bull-crap character set up like the cast of the new movie was. The rest I want to see seasoned and mid-level officers and crew members.

If he goes with a crew that is as young acting as the ones from the new movie, they will lose me and I would say a vast majority of the traditional fan base and it will go the way of Enterprise, failing because it lost the core fans of the franchise. The new captain better not have a mentality of "hit puberty a couple years ago", and have no angst brought about by youth. Lastly, I hope he makes it a medium sized ship. They had the large Galaxy and Sovereign class Enterprises, the big DS9 station with the little Defiant, and then the sort of small Voyager. It is time for a medium sized ship. One that isn't so big that they pretty much stand everything down(Galaxy class), or of such a small size that it has to be too cautious and practically run from everything(Voyager).

Not G. Ivingname said:
I do wonder if he will set it after Star Trek Online or will declare all of that non-canon.
It would be a great improvement if they burnt everything that spawned from J.J. Abrams moronic version of Star Trek and that movie as well and then erased his and everybody else's memories of every being involved with it, so that nothing like it comes about again.

As a huge Star Trek fan, I felt that movie was a big middle finger to the fans. It was a silly and horrifying cash grab that made the stupid mistake of trying to reach out to more than just the traditional fan base.

I thought STO was a good direction in that they decided to make a Star Trek MMO, it fails in my opinion because it follows things that happen because of the J.J Abrams crap movie.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Eh, could be good, I'll give it a try if it gets made. But, really, do we have to have the Ferengi back? They're like the Jar-Jar Binks of Star Trek.

EDIT: And please, no more time travel stories! It has been done to death, then they dug up the corpse and did it some more.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
aashell13 said:
MajorDolphin said:
We can only hope they declare it non-canon. I don't want the Enterprise H to be a Dervish class ship, or an upside down Voyager.

http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/dervish
http://www.startrekonline.com/ships/avenger
THIS.

STO's ships and space combat look terrible. which is a shame; totally killed my excitement about the game. you can't make a star trek franchise with terrible ships.

I like the idea of a Star Trek MMO, and when I played the trial of STO, I loved the whole away mission stuff, being able have my crew with me, not just my single character running around single-handedly defeating enemies.

Edit: But I hated that it was based off the new movie, that just ruined it and when I found out I decided not to buy it and keep playing.

I also quite like the star-ship to star-ship space combat. The on the ground combat was adequate.

But the ships look terrible, if I did end up playing the game regularly I would have to fork over the money to purchase one of the classes from TNG.

Though one reason I had fun with the trail was that I ended up making parody style crew. And it started when I was making my captain and realized he looked like a young Wolverine, with the hairstyle of Wolverine from the movies. I had already settled on a name for my captain so, instead I named my ship the USS Wolverine.

I didn't really like what they started me out in either, but the name of my ship made up for it.

I picked a traditional TNG movie uniform for my crew.

I made the thing as mean looking in style as possible.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Well, colour me surprised. I had thought we'd seen the end of Trek on tv with Enterprise failing like it did.

The Lugz said:
yes, but the doctor is photonic, and light does not activate touch-screens ( thank god )
the only way he could activate even a touch pad is when his forcefield is active, surely?

also, i miss thinking about this madness.. i vote for a new series :D
Ah, but you're all missing the fact that the ship's computer knows where the doctor is and what he wants to do as he is a program running inside it. So his motions are detected and acted upon accordingly. No physical touch needed.

Also, surely he can turn the touch field on and of locally.

Oh dear me how I love these geeky discussions.
RagingNinja said:
whats with the hate for DS9? The building up to and taking place of the Dominion War was epic.
DS9 is highly divisive among Trek fans. Many fans of TNG didn't make it through the first couple seasons and were later unable to pick it up. The fact it actually holds up when watched later has slowly made its number of fans grow but the initial distaste it met will probably never be washed away.

I loved DS9. It remains the only Trek series that actually deals with relationships in a mature manner. Even going so far as having a married couple on board (something which is only possible because of the premise and they knew it). And then it later on turns into a full scale conflict, bloody awesome. Shame what they did with Evek and Sysko in the last season(s?), really cool characters turning into, well, that, but I can live with that.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
I didn't really like what they started me out in either, but the name of my ship made up for it.

That is awesome and beautiful. Did it randomly assign your ship that name?

OT: I should tell my dad this, he loves Star Trek. I like it too (especially the latest film). I just hope, if they go through with it, they don't mess it up...

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
I loved voyager as a kid. So a big yay to me. Also the last Star Treck movie was pretty good.

oathblade

Aug 16, 2009
The Morrigan said:
Either way, I remain cautious following my experience with Enterprise. They, too, tried to go the "younger, hotter" route, which is pretty much the stupidest reason I can think of to make a new Star Trek series (and implies that no one was hot in any of the previous series, which is simply ridiculous). I remember reading an article about Enterprise that talked about it "bringing humor to Star Trek"; it was as if the writer had never watched a single episode before (can we say Trouble with Tribbles?). That right there pretty much destroyed any belief that the series would be anything but a cash grab. This looks to be going in the same direction.

Then again, the secret places in my nerdlet heart do yearn for a new Star Trek TV series. So I'll hang in there for now!
I was very disappointed in the Enterprise show and that they let the guy contaminate the movie with his ideas. If you want to see how to continue a show look to The Doctor and his current adventures. Just nothing like that movie, I cant drink away the horrors of what it did.

Its kind of weird how younger fans see it with a very narrow opinion. Super serious sci fi show, camp comedy show, whatever. Their better off getting a new cast and trying to mix up their own magic. Dont duplicate what has been expand upon it.

Meanwhile Ill be rewatching Firefly/Serenity :)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Vortigar said:
Well, colour me surprised. I had thought we'd seen the end of Trek on tv with Enterprise failing like it did.

The Lugz said:
yes, but the doctor is photonic, and light does not activate touch-screens ( thank god )
the only way he could activate even a touch pad is when his forcefield is active, surely?

also, i miss thinking about this madness.. i vote for a new series :D
Ah, but you're all missing the fact that the ship's computer knows where the doctor is and what he wants to do as he is a program running inside it. So his motions are detected and acted upon accordingly. No physical touch needed.

Also, surely he can turn the touch field on and of locally.
yep, it basically comes down to why didn't the doctor use a voice command to show the audience, ( and anyone in the room, for safety reasons of-course ) what he was doing?
( we know from a previous episode that holograms are not allowed access to their command protocols and the doctor was modified to have such abilities to improve his performance and personal well being )
because let's face it, emulating a touch command panel side, making the doctor walk places and wasting time is hardly an efficient protocol for an emergency hologram to edit his parameters if he has something life threatening to resolve

'doctor picks up hypo-spray'
'computer disable holographic forcefield'
'hypo-spray drops to bio-bed'
'doctor looks smug' ( as if that's a direction )
-scene cut to 3 seconds

efficiency.
unfortunately we don't get to see tom being *****-slapped so for many people it would not be worth it i guess.

the answer is geeks > script writers i guess

if you wanted to be showy of the doctor's true capacity for extreme flexibility you could have him throw objects from one side of the room to the other and disappear from one location and appear in another to catch it, he would never need a nurse to fetch items as that would be pointlessly slow to him

this character was never fully explored in my opinion, same as data, the borg, telepathy, and lots of other blatantly overpowered things in the trek universe

( also, why don't they attach his emitter from the inside, and make him super resistant to hazardous environments )

#edit#
my point here, if i really have one at all would be that this sort of thing is what makes trek popular or unpopular
if you just let the geeks go techno-mad, you wouldn't see anything but a diagram of a borg ship for an entire episode and that would be boring for everyone else.

i think trek has had it's day, and making it popular again would be a hard task
and it would be... damaging.. if it turned into a full on spaceopera for the masses

a new universe entirely with a clean slate would be a better idea by far, even if it still references ( or even has startrek on at movie night in their ship so they can laugh at all the technical bloopers or something ) as a little fan tie in would be perfect
because you have to deal with so many conflicting continuities, and fan hate over change
i don't know if a reboot will even work at the moment
just my 2c.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
OhJohnNo said:
Sonic Doctor said:

OT: I should tell my dad this, he loves Star Trek. I like it too (especially the latest film). I just hope, if they go through with it, they don't mess it up...
No, it didn't randomly assign the ship name. As I explained in part of my comment you cut out when quoting:

Sonic Doctor said:
Though one reason I had fun with the trail was that I ended up making parody style crew. And it started when I was making my captain and realized he looked like a young Wolverine, with the hairstyle of Wolverine from the movies. I had already settled on a name for my captain so, instead I named my ship the USS Wolverine.

As I said there, I really didn't realize that my captain looked similar to Wolverine until I was done making him and already made up a name. So, when it came time to name the ship, I was able to write in Wolverine in the blank, and surprisingly, the name wasn't taken.

If I had the extra money, I would probably play the game some, just because it is fun as a writer. The reason for that is that the game let's you write and make up your own "Captain's Log" yourself.

Players of course don't have to do it, but it is great fun. Here are pictures of three whimsical log entry's that I made during my time playing the trial run. I had a lot of fun with it and made them as silly as possible and pointed out some of the funny things that happen in the game, along with the "strange" personality of my captain.

If I did end up getting the game, I'd probably do a comic of sorts that dealt with funny pictures of the action and log entries.

Had to zoom and edit the third picture, because the straight upload was too small to read.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
For a second there I was scared to death that it was gonna be in the JJ-verse.
I'm giddy like a little girl about everything except for the part where he wanted to make it more mainstream. The way to perfect Star Trek is to combine the characterisation from Voyager, the action and political tensions of DS9 and the sci-fi from TNG.

It will be interesting to see if the Star Trek Online canon will be included, it probably wouldn't integrate too well in its entirety, but I would love for it to borrow some ideas, at least the good ones.

Andy Chalk said:
I can't believe I forgot Voyager. That is seriously damaging to my nerd cred.
I have lost all faith in you.
Sonic Doctor said:
You and I have very similar ideas of Star Trek from what I could tell :D

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I guess trying to turn the wreckage that was the Star Trek franchise into something usable isn't out of the question, but I have no confidence in it; not after the god-awful writing that plagued most of Voyager and all of Enterprise.

J.J Abrams making a blockbuster movie showed that Star Trek could work as an action movie, but it's much harder to stretch "action" out over the course of an entire season.

Avae

Aug 26, 2011
I hope this happens but I hope they take some inspiration from BSG and Enterprise at it's most real, rawest and darkest moments. The first two seasons of BSG blew me away and it was amazing what they done with that series and showed the reality of life, not just some sterile view of the future where everything is always okay and everything is always resolved. Reality isn't like that, people are complicated but I always thought that the characters in DS9, Voyager and Enterprise to a lesser extent (and I am a trekie) where somewhat one-dimensional when it came to emotional arcs compared to BSG.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Star Trek has seen some very bad Writing, most notably in Voyager and Enterprise. DS9 had some bad Stuff, like magical Firemonsters and actual "Gods" (which fucks the concept of "Faith" if you can actually meet your Gods).
People who built all that Stuff must have been really mad when authors forgot their own Dialogue and just half assed it for Years. Can we beam through the Shields this Week? We did several Shows where not being able to beam through Shields was a central Plot Point, but that doesn't mean we have to pay Attention to that. Nah, we can even have them beam through Shields in a feature Film. Multimillion Dollar Budget Movie, have Authors who can't remember Plotpoints they wrote themselves.

Some Episodes where Racist(remember when Voyager basically told us that native Americans where basically Cavemen until white Men from Space came and brought them Fire and Language?), others had extreme Technobabble up the Ass (Tri-Polymer Plasma? the Fuck?) and others had "God". Do not let "Nature run its course" when someone is in need of Help. Captains Janeway and Archer where basically genocidal Maniacs.

I though J.J. could turn this Mess around. But of course he has to rely on deus ex machina aswell. Why would Spock kick Kirk off the Enterprise to leave him on the Planet with the deadly Monsters? So he could meet Scotty of course. And the bad Guy is bent on "Revenge" because Spock didn't come fast enough to Help the Romulans. Bleh.

I can live without a Spacetale with lazy writing.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
OhJohnNo said:
Sonic Doctor said:

No, it didn't randomly assign the ship name. As I explained in part of my comment you cut out when quoting:

Sonic Doctor said:

As I said there, I really didn't realize that my captain looked similar to Wolverine until I was done making him and already made up a name. So, when it came time to name the ship, I was able to write in Wolverine in the blank, and surprisingly, the name wasn't taken.

If I had the extra money, I would probably play the game some, just because it is fun as a writer. The reason for that is that the game let's you write and make up your own "Captain's Log" yourself.

Players of course don't have to do it, but it is great fun. Here are pictures of three whimsical log entry's that I made during my time playing the trial run. I had a lot of fun with it and made them as silly as possible and pointed out some of the funny things that happen in the game, along with the "strange" personality of my captain.

If I did end up getting the game, I'd probably do a comic of sorts that dealt with funny pictures of the action and log entries.

Had to zoom and edit the third picture, because the straight upload was too small to read.
I really need to stop skimming posts. Anyway, I love the idea, but don't think I could commit for long enough to justify a subscription (the same as with all MMOs).

...Also, you can't play as Cardassians. I love their ship design the most out of all the Star Trek races, so I'm disappointed a bit.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I liked everything I read in this article, until the quote of "highly-energized with a much younger cast..." Jeesh, what is he thinking of? Gossip Girl in space?? If they get any younger than the latest movie reboot, they'll need chaperones.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
Oh please let it be true. It's funny, I was just thinking this week: "Shouldn't there be another series of Star Trek?"

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
This sounds pretty promising. Seems like the guy is looking to serialize the plot a little bit too. That was one of the things that worked well for Enterprise, one of the only things.

Even though I have enough Star Trek nerd cred to potentially buy my own planet I actually would have been fine with a hard reboot of the original series had JJ not made Star Trek '09 such an aggressively stupid movie.

The young cast part seems unnecessary though. You want a diverse cast that brings a lot of perspective in Star Trek. Jean Luc dominated TNG but DS9 was pretty good about giving characters interesting backstories and flaws to overcome. Throwing a bunch of kids in uniform and having them go through puberty for the first couple of seasons won't endear a new show to the average Trekkie.

However, I will forgive this show whatever it's sins if the producers can convince Abrams, Kurtzman, and Orci to guest star as red shirts.....and then kill them while teaching the audience a valuable lesson about something using a simple analogy. That would be most welcome.