New Star Wars Animated Series Airing in 2014

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Star Wars Animated Series Airing in 2014

Star Wars Rebels will take place between Episodes III and IV and focus on the growth of the Empire and birth of the Rebellion.

You could perhaps forgive some for being a bit a skeptical about Star Wars: The Clone Wars when it first began. The bile of the prequel trilogy was still pretty fresh in the throats of fans at the time, and the film launching the series looked somewhat like Bantha pooh-doo. As the TV show it launched proceeded however, Star Wars fans began to notice something odd. Clone Wars was actually developing into a halfway decent show. Many began to consider it not just a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe, but one of the best uses of the brand in years.

Sadly, The Clone Wars was <a href=http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/70512-an-untimely-end-for-star-wars-the-clone-wars>cancelled earlier this year, leaving television sadly bereft of serialized Star Wars goodness. Luckily, Disney will soon be bringing Star Wars back to the boob-tube with Star Wars Rebels, a new series taking place in the decades between Episode III and Episode IV of the movie series. The show will focus on the newly formed Empire's efforts to hunt down the last of the Jedi, as well as the birth of the Rebel Alliance. "I couldn't be more excited to explore new corners of the Star Wars universe," said Lucasflim president Kathleen Kennedy. "I think Star Wars Rebels will capture the look, feel and fun that both kids and their parents love about Star Wars."

To the series' credit, it has some talented people behind it. Its executive producers include Simon Kinberg (X-Men: First Class), Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) and Greg Weisman (Young Justice, Spectacular Spider-Man, and freaking Gargoyles!). Considering the success of Clone Wars and the people backing the show, it's hard not to feel at least some hope Star Wars Rebels could wind up being a quality product. In the least it will be nice to see some Tie Fighters again.

Source: <a href=http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html>Star Wars

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
Now watch as Disney sticks the show in a terrible time slot, becomes successful outside the target demographic, and cancels it because of "lack of interest".

sid

Jan 22, 2013
pleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCG fuck it's CG.

Know what I absolutely loved? The first prequel-inspired star wars cartoon. That thing was absolutely fun and pretty to watch, then they canceled it after, what, a season? Now we have that Clone Wars... "thing", that, yes, was beginning to get to me, but was too overwhelmingly PG and goofy for me to get a real kick out of. I'm hoping this more adult theme will make it funner, I mean the Jedi DID all get hunted into extinction, so that'll set at least the scenario in a slightly dimmer light.

As usual, hoping for the best

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Be interesting to see if any of the Clone War's characters pop up. Ahsoka, Ventress, Darth Maul all kind of finished without any real closure.

Wonder whether Yoda was just sitting around in the swamp all that time too lol

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
sid said:
pleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCGpleasedon'tsayCG fuck it's CG.

Know what I absolutely loved? The first prequel-inspired star wars cartoon. That thing was absolutely fun to watch, then they canceled it after, what, a season? Now we have that Clone Wars... "thing", that, yes, was beginning to get to me, but was too overwhelmingly PG and goofy for me to get a real kick out of. I'm hoping this more adult theme will make it funner, I mean the Jedi DID all get hunted into extinction, so that'll set at least the scenario in a slightly dimmer light.

As usual, hoping for the best
They claim they gave it three seasons by dividing season 1 in half and Season 2's five ten-or-so minute long episodes as a third season. Lucas even had the gall to say that series was a "pilot" for Fiolini's crap-until-forth-season CG-fest.

Supposedly they are making one final season for SW:TCW, which yeah, is really ironic considering they FINALLY were moving beyond ripping off other EU material, ripping off stereotypes/stereotypical situations, and stupid situations that made no sense (Landing at Pt. Rain, I am looking at you).

Strangely the Karen Travis novel (my mom grabbed it for me in a hurry one day when I needed something to read while we were visiting someone) based off of the movie avoids everything to do with Padme and that horrible homosexuality stereotype that is Jabba's "uncle" (the Hutts are unisexual for crying out loud); instead, Travis actually tried to add some grit. Ahsoka is far better fleshed out (if my memory doesn't fail me) and her race is given a great deal more personality than previously -- she even comments to Captain Rex about how they evolved from predators, and there's a little commentary on how that could impact her being a Jedi. Likewise Obi-wan sounds a bit more Episode 3-ish. It wasn't stellar but it's still a better story than the actual movie, which says something about SW:TCW's writers. I have to believe at least some of them were fired or had strangely sudden learning experiences in how to write scripts between seasons 1 to 4.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Eliwood10 said:
Now watch as Disney sticks the show in a terrible time slot, becomes successful outside the target demographic, and cancels it because of "lack of interest".
Why must you make me cry, thinking about how Tron: Uprising died. I loved that show. That finale was fucking fantastic... how could they screw it up. They even managed to make CLU imposing! DO YOU REALIZE HOW HARD THAT IS WITH HOW STUPID A NAME HE'S GOT? GAH! DISNEY!

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Eliwood10 said:
This a thousand times this-how can I get excited about a new show when I'm constantly afraid of getting attached just for it to be ripped from me at an unsatisfactory time,I'm constantly holding back being like "I really want to love this show but if I do and it's cancelled after two season's it will all be for nought". Why couldn't you keep the the previous show it had a good fanbase and established character arcs T_T

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Greg Weisman? Oh, I am so in. Everything he's done is golden. But also has a bad habit of being cancelled before its time. So yeah, this show might not last long.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Starring Ahsoka jailbait Tano as she creates the Rebel Alliance all by herself, and totally not because Bail Organa, Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma pooled together their dissident movements into an armed rebellion cell.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Aw no... I much prefer the clone wars setting to the rebels v. empire. Darn it.

Well, here's hoping the empire at least has some cool scenes of UNLIMITED POWER overwhelming firepower on dissidents.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
knight steel said:
Eliwood10 said:
This a thousand times this-how can I get excited about a new show when I'm constantly afraid of getting attached just for it to be ripped from me at an unsatisfactory time,I'm constantly holding back being like "I really want to love this show but if I do and it's cancelled after two season's it will all be for nought". Why couldn't you keep the the previous show it had a good fanbase and established character arcs T_T
To be fair, they can only go so far in the year-long period the show was set in, and if they had taken that as afar as possible, it would've ended with the brutal massacre of most of the cast. Best to give the series an end before that point, then pick up the (surviving) characters years later. I wouldn't be surprised if this functions as a Clone Wars sequel series, but we'll probably get Clone Wars people as supporting cast.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Drago-Morph said:
knight steel said:
To be fair, they can only go so far in the year-long period the show was set in, and if they had taken that as afar as possible, it would've ended with the brutal massacre of most of the cast. Best to give the series an end before that point, then pick up the (surviving) characters years later. I wouldn't be surprised if this functions as a Clone Wars sequel series, but we'll probably get Clone Wars people as supporting cast.
Well when you put it like that......that actual sounds reasonable and a good idea dammit why must you be so logical and here I was set to continue ranting >_<.
But as long they do it like how you have said with getting Clone Wars people as supporting cast and doing it as a sequal then I have no problem with this new series ^_^

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Soviet Heavy said:
Starring Ahsoka jailbait Tano as she creates the Rebel Alliance all by herself, and totally not because Bail Organa, Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma pooled together their dissident movements into an armed rebellion cell.
That was the plot to Force Unleashed right? I only ask because I haven't played the game in awhile.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:
That was the plot to Force Unleashed right? I only ask because I haven't played the game in awhile.
Sort of. The Force Unleashed takes place sometime after the first seeds of Rebellion were spread. Iblis was targeted by an Imperial Assassin, Mon Mothma had already jumped ship, and Bail Organa stayed on in the Senate to continue pulling other system's support towards the resistance movement. I believe that Force Unleashed deals with the Corellian Accord (or something like that), which was the official declaration of an organized Rebellion, and not just scattered separatist holdouts.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
cursedseishi said:
I would like to see what happened with Ventress and Ashoka though, specially Asaaj Ventress. Of all the characters, she might actually be the most interesting one to have popped up in the prequel series, who actually saw some meaningful development.
Read the comic book Star Wars: Obsession. Deals with Ventress's fate.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
erttheking said:
Soviet Heavy said:
No, according to TFU, Starkiller uses the magical power of "I'm a fucking Jedi who can shoot space stations down with my mind!" to get them to all agree to work together. Then according to TFU2's novel, they all could barely manage to do anything until Starkiller magically showed up again, even though all he basically does is scream "MUST SAVE GIRLFRIEND!"