New Star Wars "Dungeon Crawler" Announced

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
New Star Wars "Dungeon Crawler" Announced

Kabam Studios will be releasing its free-to-play RPG Star Wars: Uprising to mobile platforms this fall.

You know something the world needs more of? <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars RPGs. Granted, you could throw the whole "quality over quantity" thing in there, but really, we can't be the only ones who find it odd that, in the entire history of video games, there's only been a small handful of lightsaber-centric role-playing games?

Well, come this fall, we'll able to add a new name to that short list. Announced today by Kabam Studio, <a href=https://playstarwarsuprising.com/?dm_i=XF5,3FX7C,6W0EWT,CBJJE,1>Star Wars: Uprising and will be a mobile-based "dungeon crawler" taking place after the Empire's defeat at the Battle of Endor. The game will follow the efforts of the player to help free the Anoat Sector from the grips of an Imperial governor trying to deny the death of the Emperor in an attempt to maintain control of his territory. Its development team will include people such as Daniel Erickson, the former creative for The Old Republic, and Danny Keller, an episode director for Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

While the game will be mobile-based and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/free-to-play>free-to-play, Kabam wants to reassure gamers that it will still be a full-fledged and legitimate RPG experience. For instance, in addition to a single-player campaign with "large-scale" battles, the game will also include "real-time co-op" and customize-able player characters that can combine classes and attributes to create something best-suited to each person's unique play style. It will also have "iconic" Star Wars gear, some of which will be purchasable with real world cash should players get sick of grinding for it.

The big question that comes out of the game's announcement, of course, is what you all think of it. While we'd say that it sounds like a game with potential, we could understand some being disappointed that it's not something more akin to Knights of the Old Republic. The fact that it's a mobile title could also be a turn off for some who prefer their games with bigger screens and controllers.

Source: Wired

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The words "mobile," "f2p" and "dundgeon" do not go well, positively together. But perhaps the words "wars" and "star" (not necessarily in that order) can bring forth some faith. Perhaps...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Mobile, Free to play and (#EDIT: actually not) published by Electronic Arts.

I'm sure three phrases more guaranteed to drown hype exist, but I'm yet to hear them.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Kabam also published Marvel's Contest of Champions which was aesthetically great yet overall a boring mobile "fighting" game where every hero pretty much acted the same as others.

I'm just happy that there will be a Star Wars game not made by EA. We all know what EA did with Dungeon Keeper.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Mobile, Free to play and published by Electronic Arts.

The trailer almost had me interested. Almost. A pox be on mobile and free to play which is never actually fucking free to play but always involves skinner box mind fuckery to try to con you out of more money then if you'd paid for a normal game outright.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, its a mobile game, and its riding the coat tails of a franchise juggernaut.

That tells us all we need to know.

fix-the-spade said:
Mobile, Free to play and published by Electronic Arts.

I'm sure three phrases more guaranteed to drown hype exist, but I'm yet to hear them.
Free to Play, Early Access, developed by Perfect World Entertainment.

Thats the best i could come up with.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
That storm trooper looks like he was hired straight out of the brother hood of steel.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I don't think I've read a more misleading title on the Escapists in 2015. I was actually excited when I clicked the link only to see "free-to-play RPG Star Wars: Uprising to mobile platforms this fall." I don't know why I even bother getting excited about gaming news.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Any news about mobile games should come with a big "mobile" tag at the beginning. I cant count the times when I heard about a potentially cool new game to only find out that its a mobile game. I dont even own an smart phone or pad.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Ugh, got way too excited with the click bait. Opened article, instantly deflated like a cheap sex doll.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Eiv said:
Ugh, got way too excited with the click bait. Opened article, instantly deflated like a cheap sex doll.
Yep. Mobile and F2P killed any excitment very quickly. Not to mention the CS trailer only...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
...God, I feel like a howler in an echo chamber, but yeah.
Literally a minute ago, I was like "Huh, that actually sounds interesting", and I immediately lost ALL INTEREST when I read "free-to-play" and "mobile".

Talk about "kiss-of-death".

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'll give it a spin, but I can't say I have high expectations. Disney has been publishing an avalanche of F2P Star Wars games on mobile in the hopes that something will stick, and it shows. Most of them are grind-tastic time sinks with boring gameplay and microtransactions up the wazoo. It seems their strategy is to fleece consumers up front for all they're worth, then jump ship when profits start to dip even slightly. Hell, they've already pulled the plug on titles like Tiny Death Star and Assault Team, and those games weren't even a year old. It's a far cry indeed from the heyday of LucasArts in the 90's.

In spite of that, I'm hoping it turns out to be good. The premise for the story is solid, and I've felt dungeon crawlers would be a good fit for Star Wars for quite some time now.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I'm sure there's a joke here comparing the Force with micro-transactions but I can't muster the effort right now.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
wetfart said:
I'm sure there's a joke here comparing the Force with micro-transactions but I can't muster the effort right now.
"Even Master Yoda doesn't have a micropayment account that high."

Okay, seriously deflated after reading this and watching the entirely pre-rendered trailer. I'm not against mobile games per se, but 'free to play' instantly spells various levels of arbitrary barriers to progress and/or buying power. I'm sure it will be no different to the myriad of other Star Wars mobile games already out there.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
wetfart said:
Ooh, I got this one! "Micro-chlorians!"

...I'll just see myself out...

*EDIT* Aaand I just got ninja'd as well.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Saw the title and thought it was going to be a Diablo/Torchlight-esque game set in the Star Wars universe and got really excited.

Read the article and read "free to play mobile game" and died a little inside.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
The words "mobile," "f2p" and "dundgeon" do not go well, positively together. But perhaps the words "wars" and "star" (not necessarily in that order) can bring forth some faith. Perhaps...
Nope, with EA holding the reigns, Free To Play becomes Pay To Play.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Wanna edit that title so we actually know it's for mobiles so the general portion of us who would never care won't bother getting excited? That'd be greeeaaat.

Yes, I was actually interested. Then it has to be "F2P Mobile" and I instantly lost interest. I wonder how many microtransactions it's gonna have. Maybe we'll see a $50 for Han Solo kind of thing in there. Oh, the possibilities