New Stargate Movie Trilogy Coming From Original Creators

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Bindal said:
marscentral said:
I don't get the hate on here for SGU. It wasn't as good as SG1, but like a lot of scifi shows (including SG1 and Atlantis) it took a while to find it's feet.
Mostly because it felt more like a soap opera rather than a proper Stargate series.
I certainly get that criticism, I just don't think it justifies the hate.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Signa said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
If you're a fan of Brad Wright's SG-1 ('97-'07) then it would be considered a pseudo reboot. Same source material, but all of SG-1, SGA, and SGU will be considered in the same manner as the Star Wars Expanded Universe (now called Legacy). Its still canon, just alternate universe canon.
You know, I'm OK with that. Not only does the show's lore allow for alternate timelines, but just as Teal'c said, "our universe is the only one that matters"
haha, I was thinking the same thing. Emmerich considered SG1 the fake Stargate, but I'll probably consider his new movies as the fake Stargate. If there's any franchise that has braced their fans to joke about alternate universes/realities the most, it would probably be Stargate.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I enjoyed the movie for what it was - a film about exploration. If they can capture that same tone and spirit, I'll give it a shot. But if they're just going to do a straight reboot, with Daniel Jackson, Jack O'Neill, Abydos, Ra, and the rest, forget it. They did that story already, and pretty competently. There's no need to rehash the same material when there's the potential for so much more. Besides, the show picked up there and did extremely well with it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I have never been a fan of the shows, but the movie is one of my all time favorites for whatever reason. That being said, I am instinctively weary about any kind of reboots. Chances are, I won't bother with this, because chances are, it is going to suck badly.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Son of a... really? I mean, I suppose they could theoretically turn out to be good, the premise is decent enough, and you can make a good movie out of just about anything - but the original movie wasn't good; the characters were walking stereotypes, and they didn't even do anything particularly interesting with the premise, just an uninspired plot. And the director vocally hates the show, which took that mess of a film, ripped out the uninspired mess and made a long-running fantastic sci-fi action-comedy, and an almost-as-good spinoff? Don't put this guy in charge of the franchise!

The worst part about it is that if the director hates the show so much, he's probably going to make the films with a mind to muddy the waters for future ACTUAL Stargate projects - establishing contradictory universe lore, using a different cast of characters and a wildly different tone. Not something I'm anywhere near being excited for.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
marscentral said:
Bindal said:
marscentral said:
I don't get the hate on here for SGU. It wasn't as good as SG1, but like a lot of scifi shows (including SG1 and Atlantis) it took a while to find it's feet.
Mostly because it felt more like a soap opera rather than a proper Stargate series.
It does? How would you react when your favorite show would get a new spin-off-series, advertised as "More of the same idea, but with a new cast, slightly different setting and new stuff" and turned out to be "actually, this is now something completely different and not the reason you were watching the pervious stuff to begin with". Like if the next Star Wars Movie would be a movie about two cowboys in the far east, which just by coincident wear lightswords and got the force. That's about the same how SGU felt compared to the rest of the series (just maybe not as extreme).
Not to mention NONE of the characters were likable in any way.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Unless there are characters that don't seem like they're made to artificially imitate Battlestar Galactica (and by extension of that idea, were created JUST to die dramatically), I'm not gonna pay any attention.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Zontar said:
So basically the only reason people even remember the forgettable, not particularly good movie or why it would have any audience at all is the very thing it's trying to distance itself from.

Great.
Hrm... I remember the film quite fondly and I would try to amnesia wipe SG-1& Atlantis if that were at all possible. That would be great

Kudos to them for trying to get away from what railroaded the franchise into the third string atypical Scifi channel sludge it descended into. SGU showed that the "fanbase" is what is killing the franchise.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
The execution of this is going to be a bit tricky, won't it? I mean, at least the Star Trek reboot had a time traveling angle to explain the changes, more or less, which was actually more than I expected when I first heard the idea of a reboot. Full props for actually working your reboot into the storyline, rather than just flipping an imaginary switch. Then there are reboots, like the Hulk movies, where they very lightly touch upon changes, and make it clear they don't necessarily hold themselves to the previous movies, but at least don't set themselves in the same time frame as the predecessor, so with heavy squinting you could maybe kind of see all these different things happening to the same guy.

It sounds like this particular approach might be more focused on that OTHER kind of reboot, where they just toss out everything established for no particular reason other than they want to toss out everything established. The Amazing Spiderman, basically, where not only were they rebooting Raimi's version, but they just haaaaad to make their first movie yet another origin telling. Even speaking as someone who doesn't necessarily mind the new movie series, this kind of ham fisted reboot approach is just clumsy. :/

Especially when I consider exactly how much of the Stargate mythology that I so love came from the television show, and not the movie. I might be wrong, but wasn't Ra some creepy alien faced dude underneath the pretty boy exterior, and the whole concept of the Goa'uld being parasitic slugs came from the television show?

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Bindal said:
marscentral said:
Bindal said:
marscentral said:
It does? How would you react when your favorite show would get a new spin-off-series, advertised as "More of the same idea, but with a new cast, slightly different setting and new stuff" and turned out to be "actually, this is now something completely different and not the reason you were watching the pervious stuff to begin with". Like if the next Star Wars Movie would be a movie about two cowboys in the far east, which just by coincident wear lightswords and got the force. That's about the same how SGU felt compared to the rest of the series (just maybe not as extreme).
Not to mention NONE of the characters were likable in any way.
You're assuming Stargate isn't my favourite show (it isn't, Star Trek: The Next Generation is, but SG1 is a close second). Maybe I've just gotten philosophical about it as I've gotten older and that's why I just can't hate SGU for not being enough like SG1. I'd been through all that with Voyager.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
I honestly don't expect much from the movies - I personally didn't like the original movie that the TV series was based off. It wasn't the creator's original idea; tough shit. But yeah, make your own, np.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
MovieBob said:
It is not expected to tie-in with or make reference to the television series Stargate SG-1 or its myriad spin-offs, which Devlin and Emmerich have long been vocal about wanting no association with as they were produced without their input.
Good job guys, the TV show was way better than the movie.

P.S. Thanks

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Huh. Well, I'm a big fan of SG1, Atlantis, and Universe, and I definitely enjoyed the first movie. Still, I preferred the shows over the movie. Hopefully this reboot is pretty decent.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
viranimus said:
Zontar said:
So basically the only reason people even remember the forgettable, not particularly good movie or why it would have any audience at all is the very thing it's trying to distance itself from.

Great.
Hrm... I remember the film quite fondly and I would try to amnesia wipe SG-1& Atlantis if that were at all possible. That would be great

Kudos to them for trying to get away from what railroaded the franchise into the third string atypical Scifi channel sludge it descended into. SGU showed that the "fanbase" is what is killing the franchise.
What's wrong with the show (apart from being better then the movie in every measure)? It defined what Stargate was. When you ask someone about Stargate, they think of SG-1, Richard Dead Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge. When you ask the tone they think somewhat serious at times, but overall lighthearted with comedy, references, genre savyness and self-awareness most sci-fi doesn't dare do.

They don't think boring 90s action movie which takes itself way to seriously and is horribly dated.

And what exactly did Universe show about the fanbase (apart from the fact that when a network screws over a series, people complain about it, especially when it's in as disgusting a way as Sy Fy did so)?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Zontar said:

Great.

Unless this ends up getting the series back on the air to continue the only story people actually care about (which was only canned because of a whole controversy with Sy Fy and wrestling which saw the one show they had on the air placed in a timeslot to intentionally cancel it despite the promised 3 seasons ending up being only 2), there's nothing to look forward to. No one gave a shit about the movie, the only reason the name is remembered is because of SG-1. Distance yourself from that too much, it stops being Stargate.

Even while entertaining the thought of it being set in its own universe, without the sci-fi references, self-awareness, humour and genre savvyness that made the series, it just won't be Stargate. And Emmerich is not known for going any of those things well, or wanting to.
I couldn't have said it better. Seriously, this movie kinda sucked the first time and there's no reason to do it again, besides appealing to SG-1 fans (which they don't even want to do). Are there really hardcore Stargate movie fans out there who disliked the show? It seems impossible.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Zontar said:
What's wrong with the show (apart from being better then the movie in every measure)? It defined what Stargate was. When you ask someone about Stargate, they think of SG-1, Richard Dead Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge. When you ask the tone they think somewhat serious at times, but overall lighthearted with comedy, references, genre savyness and self-awareness most sci-fi doesn't dare do.

They don't think boring 90s action movie which takes itself way to seriously and is horribly dated.

And what exactly did Universe show about the fanbase (apart from the fact that when a network screws over a series, people complain about it, especially when it's in as disgusting a way as Sy Fy did so)?
Essentially... your latter part functionally answers the former.

How do you think fans of the film felt to see an interesting premise get Macgyvererd into endless unpronouncabilism and cheap reused narrative spackle? Just as you point out it took something that was intended to be in a more serious and dark tone, and basically bleached all the color out of it till it was just another bland carbon copy of so much that came before.

As for SGU and the fanbase... Functionally the fanbase killed what was (certainly not great by anyones measure) at least an attempt to revitalize a stagnated series (remember how there was a Stargate SG1 centric MMO in the works that also got abandoned about that same time because support for it and the franchise had dwindled so low). SGU could have been something had it been named ANYTHING else and removed the proprietary SG1 tripe because the show was not bad at all. Just suffered ridiculously negative press thanks to the adamacy of SG1 fans who felt betrayed because the tired formula that was not really selling any more had been altered.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
viranimus said:
Zontar said:

Essentially... your latter part functionally answers the former.

How do you think fans of the film felt to see an interesting premise get Macgyvererd into endless unpronouncabilism and cheap reused narrative spackle? Just as you point out it took something that was intended to be in a more serious and dark tone, and basically bleached all the color out of it till it was just another bland carbon copy of so much that came before.

As for SGU and the fanbase... Functionally the fanbase killed what was (certainly not great by anyones measure) at least an attempt to revitalize a stagnated series (remember how there was a Stargate SG1 centric MMO in the works that also got abandoned about that same time because support for it and the franchise had dwindled so low). SGU could have been something had it been named ANYTHING else and removed the proprietary SG1 tripe because the show was not bad at all. Just suffered ridiculously negative press thanks to the adamacy of SG1 fans who felt betrayed because the tired formula that was not really selling any more had been altered.
The movie was as generic as it gets, it was only threw the show that the potential of the premise was reached. They could have had the McGuffin be a time machine and it would have had the exact same plot. They had a machine which could teleport someone to another world, and where did they go? Ancient Egypt in space with aliens who use human slaves. At least the show had truly otherworldly locations they visited, and had the sense to distinguish itself in the genre by having a tone and attitude no other sci-fi show had.

As for Stargate Universe, I fail to how the show being moved to a timeslot with the intent of driving viewership down to a level which justifies cancelling it is somehow a statement about the fanbase, when all it tells you is that Sy Fy's execs went back on their claim the show would get 3 seasons, and when out of their way to make it so.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
I'm sorry but the original Stargate movie is not canon. If they are going to ignore the entire Stargate franchise and come up with some 'original' bullshit continuation of the bad movie that spawned the actual canon universe then no one needs to watch it, really.

This is just fake. I mean, hell, there won't even be Goa'ulds. It's not Stargate without Goa'ulds.

Red Panda

Jan 28, 2014
Same, I don't understand it, nerds love mash ups, I don't understand how stargate/galactica didn't succeed. I loved the attempt at a darker more harshly realistic idea for stargate. Almost all of the characters were well developed and I really cared about them and was crushed when I found out how it ended. :( :(

On topic if the guys that made godzilla are making these new movies I have zero interest. To shun what made stargate a household name shows the utter childishness and contempt they have for fans who made them what they are today.