New Street Fighter Flick Mauled By Critics

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Wow. And I was hoping this film would be the first video-game adaptation to be an Oscar contender.

Meta Like That

Jan 30, 2009
nilcypher said:
So there you have it, Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li is apparently just as bad, if not worse, then we all expected. Hollywood have had lots of tries at converting video games into movies, but apparently, they still haven't cracked it yet. It does raise an interesting question though, will there ever be a good video game movie?
It's not so much an interesting question as it is a moral dilemma for Hollywood: Will they ever get their heads outta their asses and take one seriously? I feel Silent Hill almost got it right, but they're not quite there yet. All we're getting now is over-budgeted fanfiction.

morpher80

Nov 11, 2007
I thought the Doom movie was good and was the new street fighter movie even realated the the games?

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was tuesday."

Man, I can't wait for the game based on this movie!

Feb 6, 2009
zoozilla said:
Wow. And I was hoping this film would be the first video-game adaptation to be an Oscar contender.
Sorry,that will have to wait until after Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

Anyway,I thought this movie was going to be bad anyway.Just not that bad.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Dectilon said:
"It does raise an interesting question though, will there ever be a good video game movie?"

Not as long as there's no vision or ambition...
I enjoyed the Hitman film. Was that just me?

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Thought I should finally post here since I signed up a while ago, Hi all! :)

I think Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat are the best game to movie translations thus far with Resident Evil being the biggest missed opportunity of the bunch.

Both Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat stick mostly to the originals content and plot the closest and seem to have brought the best results, so there's a little hint for all those all-knowing movie directors/script writers out there.

The biggest problem is Hollywood still holds the same snobbery regarding the games media as does the mainstream media. This means that even if they respect the brand/dollars of a successful game, they don't respect, trust or get the content. So 9 out of 10 times everything that is important is changed leaving it unrecognisable and confusing to the fans of the game while the neutrals are left unimpressed or merely satisfied (since they have less expectation).

Developers / Publishers have been no better either, they seem to hand over rights for their games via a highest bidder system rather then checking moviefolks references carefully to see if their baby will be safe (Uwe Boll anyone).

I mean just think, Resident Evil was originally going to be directed by George A Romero (Night of the Living Dead etc), everything might have been so much different by now had it actually happen...

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Leroy Frederick said:
Both Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat stick mostly to the originals content and plot the closest and seem to have brought the best results, so there's a little hint for all those all-knowing movie directors/script writers out there.

The biggest problem is Hollywood still holds the same snobbery regarding the games media as does the mainstream media. This means that even if they respect the brand/dollars of a successful game, they don't respect, trust or get the content. So 9 out of 10 times everything that is important is changed leaving it unrecognisable and confusing to the fans of the game while the neutrals are left unimpressed or merely satisfied (since they have less expectation).
Mortal Kombat I'll give you, but Silent Hill? The Silent Hill movie deviated massively from the game.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Ah, the legend that is Jean-Claude Van Damme. Man the original street fighter movie was hilarious, not that there were any jokes.

Solivagus

Dec 2, 2008
Has anyone seen Resident Evil: Degeneration? Is it supposed to be a straight-to-DVD film? I quite enjoyed that as far as films based on video games go.

Everyone expected this Street Fighter movie to fail. Like The Onion said, with casting like that.

As for a good film based on a video game, probably won't exist. Not unless, as mentioned earlier in this thread, directors find out what is so appealing about playing games. However, certain, story-heavy games could make good movies. The first one to come to mind is Half-Life. But I'm too worried that someone might actually make a film about it and ruin the entire thing.

Then there's Left 4 Dead, but that would probably be as empty as most zombie films have been in the past.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
nilcypher said:
Leroy Frederick said:

Mortal Kombat I'll give you, but Silent Hill? The Silent Hill movie deviated massively from the game.
True, I mean how could they not use Harry? But when I originally saw the movie, I hadn't played much of the game, but it had all of the unique elements I remember that made it Silent Hill Silent Hill, the horn, the nurses, the metamorphosis of the environments, the nutty cult, the search for a child, the police woman, Lisa, Pyramid head, Alessa, atmosphere, the music, etc, etc.

I then watched the Let's Plays on youtube for SH from origins to 3 and I understood the 1st game more then I would have without already seen the movie. So basically, it is closest to the original game's content/plot compared to many other game to movies of which the bad ones then to be least recognisable. This is backed up by the fact that I often see SH and MK rated more the most other attempts, I mean the Resident Evil movie is a action movie, not a Horror adventure movie like the game, whereas the Silent Hill movie IS a psychological Horror adventure like it's game namesake which is always going to fair better with it's fans then most others.

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
I remember hearing once that they made "Street Fighter, The Movie: The Game." Or maybe that was Mortal Kombat. I don't really remember.

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
PirateKing said:
I remember hearing once that they made "Street Fighter, The Movie: The Game." Or maybe that was Mortal Kombat. I don't really remember.
SICK0_ZER0 said:
Cousin_IT said:
...I thought the 1994 film was rather fun :D
CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

and i can't believe people were hyped up and exited about a film based on a 2d fighting game...

-COMING NEXT SUMMER-

street fight 4: The Legend Of Chun Li: the game!
i think i made that up? is it real?! if so its crapiness will surpass that of the original street fighter movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
SICK0_ZER0 said:
i think i made that up? is it real?! if so its crapiness will surpass that of the original street fighter movie
No, you didn't make it up. It's a real game.