New Study Finds No Link Between Games and Violent Behavior

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Well, we knew this a long time ago, doesn't mean a random PTA isn't going to get Gears of War 3 banned.

But as much as these figures show, the news will still twist them to their advantage.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Daverson said:
This is, what, the 10th? 20th? study that's proven this.

The majority of people who argue that 'vidja gahmes made mah billy guh tah Saaaaataaaaaan' don't care about facts, they're fanatics. The only way to shut them up would be with duct tape...
So the studies come from two different directions. Either you sample a general population and look for correlations, like this one does, and the evidence is that there isn't a correlation. OR You presuppose a correlation and look for causation, which no one has managed to do yet. But, in the process of looking for causation you can make a pretty solid case for correlation because of a skewed population (that looks legitimate).

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Jammy Fingers said:
tkioz said:
stop blaming video games and start wacking the little shits when they act up.
I'm sorry but hitting your child is supposed to stop them being violent?
Studies have found that in fact authoritarian parenting leads to behavioural problems in later life as they're children either become overly passive of excessively rebellious or violent.
The key to stopping violent behaviour lies in overcoming the reason why they feel it necessary or acceptable to be so.
I'm sorry but that is complete and utter dross. A smack or a wack doesn't meant a bruise or blood or broken bones, take your hand and give yourself a love tap on the other hand, feel that slight stinging feeling? It works wonders on children, lets them know when they've done something wrong.

The key is to do it sparingly, it should never be expected or feared, it should come out of no-where and only ever for the first offence, after that you're far better off using other discipline tools, such as a missed meal, no TV, no computer, whatever, but for a first time offence the surprise works wonders. Same as only ever yelling when they are in danger, never raise your voice in anger, only when you need their undivided attention when they've done something dangerous.

A child should never fear their parents, or their actions, you don't want fear, you want to teach them boundaries, and too do that sometimes you need to shock them with a little smack.

Seriously when people talk about hitting children it's like they expect blood and broken bones, no, my grandmother use to give me little love taps on my backside when I was being a little bastard, but it was rare, but she had other, better ways to control and shape my behaviour, and that's what parenting is, shaping the behaviour of the child, people are too emotional about it.

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Wow! People with tendencies toward violence is what causes violent behaviour?! Gasp! And whats that?! People are responsible for the crimes they commit and not inanimate objects?! BIGGER GASP!

New study finds that people that do crimes because of a game tend to be "batshit insane"

Its sad that we actually have to take studies to realize that PEOPLE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THEMSELVES

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
See, what people - I'm looking at you, Australia - don't understand is that games don't make you violent. They don't. Game addiction is what makes people violent.

But guess what, gambling, drugs, alcohol, poker and sex addiction make people violent as well.

It's in the addiction, not in the game, what makes people violent. Aaand of course only a specific type of person gets addicted (to a game) - lonely, puberty, low self esteem, very often male.

So video games will never cause violent behaviour in people who aren't prone to addiction.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
LawlessSquirrel said:
Yet another study showing there's no clear connection between games and violence. It's amazing the theory still exists, considering the near-constant stream of studies against it.

As much as I'd like this to be disproved once-and-for-all, it doesn't seem research and evidence is going to cut it. The money is probably best spent elsewhere, in my opinion.
Well in the 80s it was violent movies, and in the 70s it was the music, in the 50s it was comic books...

See a trend here?

In the end people like to blame something which they can control for problems that occur in the world.

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
Just for a followup, it should be pointed out (in case anybody attempts to research this): there is ALSO no conclusive link between Violent Behavior and Results from Studies on Games and Violent Behavior.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Yey! Another one of these studies, well at least it means we have more evidence for our "cause"!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This comes as no surprise, there have been multiple studies showing no correlation between video game violence and real life violence. There has even been a study showing that violent prisoners became less violent after playing a violent video game. But what a lot of people fail to understand is that it does not matter. Violent video games are a scapegoat for people who have little or no interactions within their kids lives.

All the studies in the world won't change this. No matter how false it is, so many people have been successfully convinced that this study has to be the flawed item, not their belief.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The study isn't the end of the matter however, as Ferguson noted in his conclusion.
This could be the best, most accurate, most impartial study in the universe and it STILL wouldn't be the end of the matter.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Lord Honk said:
1) For every study there is an equally valid, opposing study.
No there isn't, because there are no valid studies. Take this one for example. Only 302 participants? Yeah that's a great representation of the world's population.

Even though it's on our side, I have to say it's still just as BS as all the anti-game studies. Studies in general need to go dive under a tractor.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Whenever i hear the words "New study..." or "Research shows..." i get the image of a few scientists going 'Hold on, what are we doing researching AIDS and cancer? let's find out what makes people violent!'

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Lord Honk said:
No there isn't, because there are no valid studies. Take this one for example. Only 302 participants? Yeah that's a great representation of the world's population.

Even though it's on our side, I have to say it's still just as BS as all the anti-game studies. Studies in general need to go dive under a tractor.
I just said equally valid, that doesn't mean that any study is objectively right ;) Fighting bulls**t with bulls**t isn't smart, it just leaves everyone smelling strange.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I recently did a research paper on the subject of Violent Video Games, I should get around to posting that, and I even cited Ferguson on a previous study he did.

There are several problems with all these studies;
There is no clear definition over what constitutes as a "violent" and a "non-violent" game.
There is no baseline to what constitutes as "violent" behavior on the kids or how the kid normally acts, with abuse, depression, etc... being a more prominent possibility of their behavior than video games.
And if there was a correlation with the game and the behavior they have all failed to state whether the behavior is long-term or short-term.

I would not be so quick to brush off any studies that say video games do contribute to violent behavior, nor would I be so quick to just accept one that says otherwise. It is unwise to just take studies on our side and not analyze the other, or our own, side.

Video games do have both positive and negative effects on the youth today, just as much as any other medium. The question here is whether the increased interactivity with video games somehow make people more violent than with other violent mediums. I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a slight correlation, however it wouldn't be enough to really make a difference.

EDIT: Just posted my essay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.252556-The-Grand-Theft-Auto-Conundrum-an-essay-on-violent-video-games], I'd appreciate it if you gave it a read.