New Study Finds RTS Games Are Good For Seniors

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Study Finds RTS Games Are Good For Seniors

A University of Illinois [http://illinois.edu/] study has found that playing strategy games can actually improve the mental skills of people in their 60s and 70s.

Researchers conducted the tests using Rise of Nations [http://www.bighugegames.com/], which awards points for building cities, taking care of citizens, controlling a military force and expanding territory. The study found that time spent on the game improved participants' scores in several areas, with the test subjects becoming "significantly better and faster" than a comparison group at switching between tasks. Reasoning ability also showed improvement, as did both short-term memory and the ability to identify rotated objects.

However, the game training had no effect on the group's ability to recall an ordered list of words, numeration ability or ability to "inhibit certain responses," researchers said.

The findings are the first to show "pronounced effects on cognitive skills not directly related to skills learn in the videogame," said professor Arthur Kramer, one of the study's authors. The research will appear in the American Psychological Association journal Psychology and Aging [http://www.apa.org/journals/pag/].

Good information and yet another mark in favor of videogames, but is it practical it is for real-world applications? My mom got hooked on Stoneloops [http://stoneloops.com/] pretty quickly, but I'm not sure how receptive she'd be to the idea of conquering the world in real-time via her mouse.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.timesoftheinternet.com/27741.html]

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Wasn't there some study a while back that showed that RTSs could help doctors think more clearly and quickly, or am I just going crazy?

coffin

May 8, 2008
ok heres the challange....i have relitives in their 70's and they have enough trouble turning on the tele how in satans unholy name am i suposed to teach them to play an RTS?

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
Wasn't there some study a while back that showed that RTSs could help doctors think more clearly and quickly, or am I just going crazy?
There probably was, but I think the time spent playing the game to get that benefit would be better used to, oh, I dunno, prevent people from dying.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Meado said:
meatloaf231 said:
There probably was, but I think the time spent playing the game to get that benefit would be better used to, oh, I dunno, prevent people from dying.
Yeah, because doctors never ever do anything but work. They're never at home and they never have any free time. At all. Ever.

Nope.

Meado

Apr 27, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
Meado said:
meatloaf231 said:
Yeah, because doctors never ever do anything but work. They're never at home and they never have any free time. At all. Ever.

Nope.
I didn't mean it like that. It's just that doctors have to keep track of the multiple statistics of their patients and make judgements depending on the situation, often in a life or death situation for their charges. I highly doubt they want to do the same thing at home when they could just crack open a beer and watch TV or sleep or something relaxing.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I looked at the title and thought "Seniors? How is that going to help students? O.O"

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Meado said:
I didn't mean it like that. It's just that doctors have to keep track of the multiple statistics of their patients and make judgements depending on the situation, often in a life or death situation for their charges. I highly doubt they want to do the same thing at home when they could just crack open a beer and watch TV or sleep or something relaxing.
Then I suppose it just comes down to what each person enjoys doing. Some people like playing video games to relax, some like to do what you mentioned. In that case it has nothing to do with being a doctor.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
calelogan said:
No wonder my friend says his mom is addicted to "Age of the Empires 3"
MONTGOMERYWOODRUFF69 said:
Somehow I can't see my 80 year old grandma playing Halo Wars.
There's your problem, neither of them are rts games. Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations, Total War Series, those are rts games. The ones you mentioned are a 18th century starcraft ripoff and some completely unrelated franchise milking.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Asehujiko said:
calelogan said:
No wonder my friend says his mom is addicted to "Age of the Empires 3"
MONTGOMERYWOODRUFF69 said:
Somehow I can't see my 80 year old grandma playing Halo Wars.
There's your problem, neither of them are rts games. Age of Empires 2, Rise of Nations, Total War Series, those are rts games. The ones you mentioned are a 18th century starcraft ripoff and some completely unrelated franchise milking.
Wouldn't Starcraft and Warcraft be examples of "Real-time Strategy" (RTS)? I think AoE3 fits the example; not to mention that if you want to go into detail, the Total War Series isn't fully RTS as it also mixes the whole "RISK/Civilization-like turn based" mechanic.

BestRTS

Oct 27, 2010
I always new that RTS games were good for your brain but no-one would believe me!!!!! Now if only I could get my grandparents to start playing Warcraft... Rofl

http://www.BestRTS.net