New Study Finds Violent Videogames Affect Teenagers Brains

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Study Finds Violent Videogames Affect Teenagers Brains

A new study by the Indiana School of Medicine [http://www.medicine.iu.edu/] has found that teenagers who play violent videogames show increased activity in the areas of the brain involved in emotional arousal.

The study, which compared brain scans of teenagers who played violent and non-violent games, reached conclusions similar to those found research done at Iowa State University [http://www.iastate.edu/], which determined that teenagers who played violent videogames demonstrated lower heart rates and lower galvanic skin responses when exposed to videos of real violence.

"Exposure to violent videogames, even E-rated videogames, increased aggressive thoughts, increases pro-social behavior and increases general arousal," said Omaha Children's Hospital [http://www.chsomaha.org/] psychologist Dr. Greg Snyder, who added that violent videogames can also desensitize kids to real violence and "normalize" killing. "The more normal it is, the more likely it is they're going to activate or engage in those behaviors when provoked or even unprovoked," he said.

Game industry representatives, however, noted that exposure to violence in movies and television provoked similar responses. Ryan Miller, general manager of Gamers in Omaha, said, "Just like any new media, it gets attacked. When any new genre of music comes out, it gets attacked. TV will, of course, get attacked. I'm sure, way back when, books got attacked." Other research has also purported to show that the isolation that comes with playing endless hours of videogames, rather than the videogames themselves, are responsible for anti-social behavior.

ArchAnemone

Sep 19, 2007
Correlation does not imply causation [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation].

Books still get attacked [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Higher_Power_of_Lucky] (just not as often).

And too much exposure to violence for young children probably isn't beneficial (but also isn't something the government should try to regulate).

Necrohydra

Jan 18, 2008
I'm sorry, but are there some actual numbers associated with this? It's fine and dandy to say *increased activity* and *more likely*, but this can constitute a 1% increase or a 50% increase. Also, what were the study's parameters? What was the control group like? What variables were present and accounted for? This is just words, nothing more. I want to see some quantifiable data.

Frankly, I'm getting tired of the media posting headlines of "study shows XX YY" without posting actual numbers or citing anything of real value from the study.

EDIT: This is in regards to the original article - the posting of the results of this "study" by Indiana Medical U. I tried clicking the links, and was sent to each university's homepage. I'd really like to read what this study was actually about.

Slimey

Feb 8, 2008
"Exposure to violent videogames, even E-rated videogames, increased aggressive thoughts, increases pro-social behavior and increases general arousal,"

Of coarse, they were thinking about violence and aggressiveness because they were seeing violence and aggressiveness. The same probably happens when watching a violent movie, tv show, or even reading a violent passage in a book. Are they saying that even thinking about violence or agressive behavior will cause someone to then act it out, even unprovoked?

Limasol

Feb 8, 2008
Malygris said:
A new study by the Indiana School of Medicine has found that teenagers who play violent videogames show increased activity in the areas of the brain involved in emotional arousal.
Thats called enjoyment you pr**ks, and if you get it from ruining other peoples fun to justify your expensive education then teenage gamers aren't the ones that need locking up.

Mastrodonas

Feb 8, 2008
Studies like this one are conducted with the all too common notion "violence begets violence" in mind. Researchers first consider that there is some sort of correlation between real and virtual violence and conduct their research around this idea. As stated in the article, the research shows increasing levels of arousal in teens who play violent video games. The article also states the same for "even E-rated video games". Because this piece of information is so incredibly vague (i.e. the term "arousal" can pertain to just about anything) psychologists can interpret them how they see fit. As Limasol stated, these increased levels of arousal could be interpreted as enjoyment. Because Dr. Greg Snyder cited "E" rated games as an example, most of which contain VERY tame amounts of violence (if any at all), it is just as reasonable, perhaps even more so, to suggest that these increased levels of arousal could simply be signs of enjoyment.

I'm no psychologist. This is all common sense.

EDIT: Another point I would like to bring up is that they are making no distinction between different types of violence. The depiction of violence in an "E" (if there even is any) rated game is minuscule when compared to that of a "T" or "M" rated game. Whats astounding is that they got similar results in either case. A psychologist would say "Oh well this means that video games in general elicit aggressive tendencies in teens" while any sensible person would say "no he/she's just having fun."

And we are, god dammit.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
maybe I'm just retarded today, but is there a link to the original story or study? All links in the original post lead back to the escapist. I have thoughts on this, but I'd like to read the study first.

Slimey

Feb 8, 2008
Uh, I just found the article at Indiana University's site, it's dated November 28th, 2006.

http://www.medicine.indiana.edu/news_releases/viewRelease.php4?art=593&print=true

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Slimey said:
Uh, I just found the article at Indiana University's site, it's dated November 28th, 2006.

http://www.medicine.indiana.edu/news_releases/viewRelease.php4?art=593&print=true
We're talking about it now? Did something new come out? Or just a slow news day?

And on a vaguely related note, how do the people quoted from Omaha have any connection with the Indiana study? Or are these just reaction quotes?

I'm so confused...

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Mastrodonas said:
The article also states the same for "even E-rated video games". Because this piece of information is so incredibly vague (i.e. the term "arousal" can pertain to just about anything) psychologists can interpret them how they see fit.
Not true. There's several lines of psychological research that try to decompose arousal into a phenomenon that can be meaningfully measured. Generally, you don't measure arousal without also measuring affect, as both tend to covary. As you point out, arousal alone doesn't mean much.

Mastrodonas said:
As Limasol stated, these increased levels of arousal could be interpreted as enjoyment. Because Dr. Greg Snyder cited "E" rated games as an example, most of which contain VERY tame amounts of violence (if any at all), it is just as reasonable, perhaps even more so, to suggest that these increased levels of arousal could simply be signs of enjoyment. I'm no psychologist. This is all common sense.
I think this may be a misunderstanding due to how the original post is organized.

Assuming the study posted by Slimey is correct, then Dr. Snyder doesn't appear to be directly connected with the research (at least, he's not one of the authors) - it's not clear that his comments are even in relation to this research project, or the generalized effect of video game exposure.

Mastrodonas said:
EDIT: Another point I would like to bring up is that they are making no distinction between different types of violence. The depiction of violence in an "E" (if there even is any) rated game is minuscule when compared to that of a "T" or "M" rated game. Whats astounding is that they got similar results in either case. A psychologist would say "Oh well this means that video games in general elicit aggressive tendencies in teens" while any sensible person would say "no he/she's just having fun."

And we are, god dammit.
I'm not following how you came to this conclusion. The study compared between two game types - violent and non-violent. There was no comparison between "E" and "T or M". So the comment of "Whats astounding is that they got similar results in either case." (at least to me) doesn't make a lot of sense. Could you clarify?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The original source story, from KETV in Omaha:

http://www.ketv.com/family/15249738/detail.html

Necrohydra

Jan 18, 2008
After reading into this expanded source story and it's sources, I have to ask what the reporter was trying to prove.

The study from the school of medicine indicates that violent video games stimulate portions of the brain "involved in emotional arousal", whileas non-violent games stimulated portions of the brain involved in inhibition and self control in the short term. Measurements were taken immediately following play time, and the researchers don't even pretend to extrapolate long term effects from the study.

Now, you have this guy Snyder, stating that games desensitize the brain to violence and increases the likeliness that students will react violently to situations. Does he have any research backing up what he's saying? I don't see any. I admittedly am not looking for it, but the research posted in the source story seem to indicate short term mental effects from playing video games. Snyder is talking about what seems to be a long term effect - that of reacting violently to situations in reality. Now, if he was saying a teen would be more likely to beat up someone right after playing a violent video game than someone playing something non-voiolent, that would be a viable conclusion. The study referenced certainly presents evidence that it could happen.

In short - these two professional sources and opinions don't quite agree with each other, but it sounds like it does. Seems to me the media, once again, is slapping together whatever sounds similiar to prove their point. At least it goes on to state that parental control is important (which it is), vs. calling for government interference.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
Malygris said:
"Exposure to violent videogames, even E-rated videogames, increased aggressive thoughts, increases pro-social behavior and increases general arousal,..."
It increases aggressive thoughts and pro-social behavior? So, people who play think bad things but do good deeds...Not really seeing a huge problem there, unless they start acting on their aggressive impulses.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
F**cking bulls**t! I play violent games all the time, and I'm the least violent person on the planet! I'M GONNA KILL THEM! I'M GONNA KILL THEM ALL!! rip and tear, maim and kill...

Mastrodonas

Feb 8, 2008
I think you're right. There are a few things i overlooked in my argument:

xMacx said:
Not true. There's several lines of psychological research that try to decompose arousal into a phenomenon that can be meaningfully measured. Generally, you don't measure arousal without also measuring affect, as both tend to covary. As you point out, arousal alone doesn't mean much.
1: i read an faq about violent media by Craig A. Anderson (Ph.D. Psychology department of Iowa State University). According to the faq, arousal is one factor that contributes to aggressive thought and behavior. Anderson defines arousal as increased heart rate and blood pressure.

xMacx said:
I think this may be a misunderstanding due to how the original post is organized.

Assuming the study posted by Slimey is correct, then Dr. Snyder doesn't appear to be directly connected with the research (at least, he's not one of the authors) - it's not clear that his comments are even in relation to this research project, or the generalized effect of video game exposure.
2. Dr. Snyder just seems to be reciting someone else's work (Dr. Anderson's most likely).

xMacx said:
I'm not following how you came to this conclusion. The study compared between two game types - violent and non-violent. There was no comparison between "E" and "T or M". So the comment of "Whats astounding is that they got similar results in either case." (at least to me) doesn't make a lot of sense. Could you clarify?
3. This was in response to what was quoted by Dr. Snyder. My point was that no distinction is made between different types of violence. I understand that there was no comparison between games with different ratings in the article. I was comparing violence between games with different ratings. According to DR. Snyder (since he is a psychologist he has some credibility in this area, whether or not he was involved in the research, i am sure he is at least familiar with it) "Exposure to violent video games, even E-rated video games, increased aggressive thoughts, increases pro-social behavior and increases general arousal." I want to know if the violence depicted in Windwaker or Jack and Daxter really has the same effect as violence in Mortal Kombat or Doom.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
Mastrodonas said:
I think you're right. There are a few things i overlooked in my argument:

xMacx said:
1: i read an faq about violent media by Craig A. Anderson (Ph.D. Psychology department of Iowa State University). According to the faq, arousal is one factor that contributes to aggressive thought and behavior. Anderson defines arousal as increased heart rate and blood pressure.
It looks like Dr. Anderson simplified things a little bit for the FAQ. HR, BP, and a host of other physiological measures are used as measurements or indices of arousal. However, arousal as a construct is generally thought to be both physiological and psychological. The relationship between physiological arousal and aggression certainly exists (See Zillman's work on Excitation Transfer Theory), but it tends to be a moderator, or a contributing factor to an individual's decision to express aggression, rather than a singular driving force. I have generally thought of Dr. Anderson's claim of causality as stated a bit too strongly.

My beef with this research has always been that it extrapolates a causal relationship from short-term, between-subject effects (that one would expect to be high, given the intensity of most violent games compared to neutral games), without providing any evidence of how the effects reported function in a participant's natural environment. If you think about Brunswick's Lens Model for decision making, three things affect a decision: the effect of the cue, the relative weight given the cue by the participant, and the environment the cue is situated in all assist in dictating a decision. To look only at the main effect of a specific cue and ignore the very real interactions of cue x cue weight x environment is ignoring the real truths in that line of research.

Of course, you're likely to get more media attention and funding from reporting the main effect (games=aggression! OMG!), so that social scientists haven't taken the more difficult route and have focused on the main effect isn't that surprising.