New Suicide Squad trailer - Much funny, such Batman, wow.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Agent_Z said:
The Madman said:
Isn't Harley supposed to have a Brooklyn accent? Also why is everyone dressed funny? Also are those opening lines meant to imply Jokey could stop Superman, because I'm pretty sure Joker couldn't do diddly squat to Superman.

Guess I just don't get it.

Also Harley looks kinda like the Queen of Hearts from that mediocre Tim Burton movie in the still picture.
"Why is everyone dressed funny?"

... Because it's a superhero movie?
I think in this context "everyone dressed funny" actually means that they're not dressed funnily enough. With the exception of a few looks at Deadshot with the mask on, nobody looks even close to their comic book counterpart. Speaking of which:

TrulyBritish said:
As a minor nitpick am I the only one who really isn't feeling Margot Robbie(?) as Harley? I don't mind the fact she doesn't have a Boston accent but from the admittedly little we saw she didn't really come off as, well, quirky/chipper enough to be Harley. And while I think it's supposed to be closer to how she looks in the comics is it bad I really don't like her costume in this?
Harley's costume looks nothing like it does in the costume. This is the closest I could find to what Whorely Quinn wears in the movie (and even that I feel is an oversexualization of the character):

Compared to

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
Strangely, it wont play for me. I was able to watch several other videos on youtube, however.

I guess it's new, and youtube is having a rapid hit induced stroke?

EDIT: Ok, it went through.

So... just some random thoughts.

1. The very beginning of the trailer links this movie to Superman. Bad idea. Also, the implication that Suicide Squad is the governments answer to Superman is retarded.
Yeah...I mean CADMUS had an answer to Superman and it involved proper super powered beings. It's like they watched that episode of the Justice League where the Suicide Squad infiltrates the Watch Tower and totally missed the point that it was infiltration, and they specifically waited til there was a skeleton crew, there was zero indication that they even thought they could stand up to any of the super powered beings, much less Superman.

TrulyBritish said:
As a minor nitpick am I the only one who really isn't feeling Margot Robbie(?) as Harley? I don't mind the fact she doesn't have a Boston accent but from the admittedly little we saw she didn't really come off as, well, quirky/chipper enough to be Harley. And while
No, I'm not feeling her either. It feels less like she is crazy and more like that person in the class who acts ker-razy to get attention.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
mduncan50 said:
Agent_Z said:
The Madman said:
Isn't Harley supposed to have a Brooklyn accent? Also why is everyone dressed funny? Also are those opening lines meant to imply Jokey could stop Superman, because I'm pretty sure Joker couldn't do diddly squat to Superman.

Guess I just don't get it.

Also Harley looks kinda like the Queen of Hearts from that mediocre Tim Burton movie in the still picture.
"Why is everyone dressed funny?"

... Because it's a superhero movie?
I think in this context "everyone dressed funny" actually means that they're not dressed funnily enough. With the exception of a few looks at Deadshot with the mask on, nobody looks even close to their comic book counterpart. Speaking of which:

TrulyBritish said:
As a minor nitpick am I the only one who really isn't feeling Margot Robbie(?) as Harley? I don't mind the fact she doesn't have a Boston accent but from the admittedly little we saw she didn't really come off as, well, quirky/chipper enough to be Harley. And while I think it's supposed to be closer to how she looks in the comics is it bad I really don't like her costume in this?
Harley's costume looks nothing like it does in the costume. This is the closest I could find to what Whorely Quinn wears in the movie (and even that I feel is an oversexualization of the character):

Compared to

They're not one to one translations but I don't see anything about these costumes that would be out of place in a superhero comic book either.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Agent_Z said:
They're not one to one translations but I don't see anything about these costumes that would be out of place in a superhero comic book either.
The funny thing is they just changed Harley in the comics to look exactly like the cinematic one.

http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_0028a1-600x854-422x600.jpg

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
This thread has more pessimism than BvS ever did. I for one will not be a Negative Nancy. I proudly proclaim I like what I saw.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
ravenshrike said:
mduncan50 said:
Unfortunately, except for that and her fight scenes, she doesn't really invoke any of the Quinns I'm familiar with. Can anyone who's read the New 52 confirm whether she is a good fit for that Quinn?
I have, and yeeeaaahhhh...? Kind of. She does use a bat more in the new comics, and she's a lot more... modern? In terms of the way she talks and her fashion choices. And she is a lot more promiscuous. And if they're going the direction I think they are, they will both be antagonistic towards Joker.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
ravenshrike said:
Because of course Quinn would find a secluded area to get out of her prison jumpsuit. Wait, no, changing while giving exactly zero fucks was entirely in character. Unfortunately, except for that and her fight scenes, she doesn't really invoke any of the Quinns I'm familiar with. Can anyone who's read the New 52 confirm whether she is a good fit for that Quinn?
Well two things. First off, she should have been made to get changed before getting there, if that is in fact what is happening. (Everyone else is already in their threads.) And secondly, while she may not have searched for a secluded spot (though why not, she's a smart girl and may use it to try to escape), at the very least I would expect her to threaten to murder anyone that looked while she was getting changed, as opposed to being unaware that men like boobies. *shrug*

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Reed Spacer said:
This looks avoidable. Does anyone else think this looks avoidable?
Oh yeah. This modern humour trend is the worst fucking thing. It's as bad as shoving in meme's were all tried of. I've heard all these shitty awkward jokes before that were in this trailer. I swear I have! Or they're just that samey in all these crappy hero movies.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Putting a song over short little clips of the only funny bits of the movie doesn't convince me that this is going to be a fun and jolly affair. Everyone can see this is damage control but I'm just shocked that WB has so little faith in movie-goers as to think they can't see that. This movie has been going for dark and edgy the whole time and it shows in the costumes and aesthetics which you can't cover with music.

BvS was the last time I give the DCU money without weighing reviews.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Agent_Z said:
The funny thing is they just changed Harley in the comics to look exactly like the cinematic one.

http://fashionablygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/IMG_0028a1-600x854-422x600.jpg
Uuuuggghhhh nnngggggghhhhhbbbblllaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhh.
I like Harley, I like her classic look, I even like the Arkham look, but I'm not really a fan of where they're taking her design.
To me, Harleen Quinzel has always had the Red/Black/White color scheme. In art, the hair can actually look okay, but I don't like the hair as live-action. The rest of the design is just cringeworthy. I guess I'm just not a fan of how they're slowly just taking more and more clothing away. Yeah, she was in a skin-tight bodysuit to begin with, but it wasn't as horribly sexualized as her more recent designs.

All in all, I'm just gonna continue on like this movie isn't even happening and that this version of Harley doesn't even exist.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
ravenshrike said:
mduncan50 said:
ravenshrike said:
Because of course Quinn would find a secluded area to get out of her prison jumpsuit. Wait, no, changing while giving exactly zero fucks was entirely in character. Unfortunately, except for that and her fight scenes, she doesn't really invoke any of the Quinns I'm familiar with. Can anyone who's read the New 52 confirm whether she is a good fit for that Quinn?
Well two things. First off, she should have been made to get changed before getting there, if that is in fact what is happening. (Everyone else is already in their threads.) And secondly, while she may not have searched for a secluded spot (though why not, she's a smart girl and may use it to try to escape), at the very least I would expect her to threaten to murder anyone that looked while she was getting changed, as opposed to being unaware that men like boobies. *shrug*
Assuming I have the sequence of events right, she was the only one who outright refused to cooperate after the chip implantation so unlike the others she was Hannibal Lectered to the scene.
Still don't see how that ends up with her being in her underwear surrounded by leering soldiers staring at her tits (and the more times I see it, the more the even bigger thing that bugs me is the hip gyrating for no reason while she's changing, and I am a man that likes gyrating hips). They could have not allowed her out of her cell until she got changed first, or just drugged and changed her before bringing her out. I really can't see a valid reason other than the film makers using it as a cheap ploy to sell tickets.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Looks like shit with some gasoline and aluminium dust sprinkled on it, ready to be set ablaze. Mostly shit. The movie isn't spoiled yet, which is a plus, but this is a million shots going by way too fast.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Nazulu said:
Reed Spacer said:
Oh yeah. This modern humour trend is the worst fucking thing. It's as bad as shoving in meme's were all tried of. I've heard all these shitty awkward jokes before that were in this trailer. I swear I have! Or they're just that samey in all these crappy hero movies.
Yeah, it's really bothering me. I guess it's a reaction against the whole dark and gritty thing, but it just seems so... Shallow. The way things are, a film can be pretty mediocre, but as long as there a few laughs, people don't care. Why does everything have to be funny and lighthearted?

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Fox12 said:
Nazulu said:
Reed Spacer said:
Yeah, it's really bothering me. I guess it's a reaction against the whole dark and gritty thing, but it just seems so... Shallow. The way things are, a film can be pretty mediocre, but as long as there a few laughs, people don't care. Why does everything have to be funny and lighthearted?
It doesn't. The movie should just be a good representation of the source material. The problem is when you try to force a mood or tone onto a property or character that it doesn't make sense with. Yeah, the angsty and brooding Superman really rubs me the wrong way, but it would have been just as bad had they turned Batman into a Deadpool level joke machine. Stay true to your characters and the people that love those characters will support you.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I'm liking it but Harley isn't Harley, Will Smith isn't convincing me he can do any other role other than Will Smith and the guy with the skull face tattoo isn't the actual guy with skull face tattoo (Rick Genest) ... he was in that last samurai as played by Keanu Reeves (other wise known as 47 ronin).

Harley should be more like Juuzou Suzuya from tokyo ghoul, should be kicking your ass and laughing like a maniac, a wild, unpredictable but effective style. From what I've seen, in this she seems to be going mild.

Will Smith always plays the same couple characters, he either plays this serious role or the same comic role he has in things like men in black.

The last guy, you have a guy who has the actual tattoos you want, in the place you want them but instead choose to get some other guy and have make up put the tattoos on him? It's not like the guy who has that actual ink is ugly ... he is a model!

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
Pluvia said:
Cheesy Goodness said:
This thread has more pessimism than BvS ever did. I for one will not be a Negative Nancy. I proudly proclaim I like what I saw.
Yeah me too. I feel like I watched a different trailer than everyone here.
I think it's largely because WB has broken our hearts too many times, so when they tell us "We can change! Look!" we just no longer have it in our hearts to believe them. If this exact same trailer was made by... say Universal, and they were original characters then I think people would be much more likely to give it a chance. But because it's WB, and because we can see them being unfaithful to the characters, it's really hard to drum up much excitement within myself. Just in the visual realm check out the differences.

Also it would appear that they took away half of Enchantress and Harley's clothing in order to make shirts for Croc and El Diablo. That was rude of them.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
As well made as that looks, I can't shake the feeling that Suicide Squad is going to be a corporate attempt at spontaneity. Like they're ticking a series of boxes and dressing it up in packaging they think is what the kids want these days. There are flashes of a good movie in there, but it wouldn't be the first movie to put its best and only good foot forward in the trailer and hope the dregs of a decent film trick people into seeing the thing. It's just a bad feeling I have.