New Sunset Overdrive Video Takes a Swipe At Assassin's Creed Over Female Characters

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
New Sunset Overdrive Video Takes a Swipe At Assassin's Creed Over Female Characters

The latest promotional video for Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive includes a subtle dig at Assassin's Creed: Unity over the controversy regarding its lack of female characters in the story mode.

While Ubisoft spilled a lot of details regarding Assassin's Creed: Unity at last week's E3 presentation, pretty much all of it was drowned out by the reveal that the game would not feature playable female characters. The entire gaming communtiy weighed in on Ubisoft's comments that designing additional female characters was too difficult (including <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11721-Editorial-Omitting-Women-From-Games-Because-Its-Too-Hard-is-Unacceptable>some of our <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/criticalintel/11758-The-Historical-Case-for-Playable-Women-in-Assassins-Creed-Unity?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all>own writers), and the fallout hasn't stopped yet.

In its latest YouTube video for its upcoming action game Sunset Overdrive, developer Insomniac Games has taken a subtle shot at Ubisoft's recent woes. The video starts by discussing some of the traps you can use in the game but then, at around the 1:40 mark, the host takes a moment to address reader questions.

When a letter asks if players can be female characters, the host quickly answers yes, followed by a pan around of a gun-toting lady dressed in an outfit surprisingly similar to the white and red, hooded cloaks long used by the Assassin's Creed protagonists. Given the timing of the video its hard to chalk this up to mere coincidence. "Self-expression is super important to us," the host said, before announcing that all the clothing in the game will be gender-neutral. "If you want to be a dude in a skirt, you can be a dude in a skirt." The video ends by encouraging the player to "take a stab at" character customization when the game releases.

While Assassin's Creed: Unity has certainly brought the topic of diversity in games further into the limelight, gender-neutral options haven't really been touched upon that much. Is this something you guys want to see more of in games? Let us know in the comments.

Source: <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlyvRqpErZo#t=14>YouTube

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
???????

I'm going to quote Han Solo. I know Sunset Overdrive is going for a certain vibe and some will grill me for my response, but I'm going to quote Han Solo.

"Don't get cocky".

I'm all for gender, race and orientation diversity in games. I'm a bit annoyed when someone says " LOOK GUYS! YOU KNOW THAT WRONG THING THAT OTHER GUY DID?!? I'M NOT DOING IT AND I'M TAKING A BETTER STEP".

You don't need to point things in people's faces. Let your actions speak for yourself instead of bragging of your actions.

EDIT: Ok ok, I know what you're going to type. (especially since I've already got the message) Take a break. Move on. Some guys or gals just need to vent out a bit.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
I do love it when companies take pot shots at each other.

Also, this is the first I'd seen of the game and was about to say that they'd earned another sale... *google*... xbone exclusive... argh! Damn you Insomniac!

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Cute shirt. "Catchme, catchme, catchme-ow!"

OT: It's nice to see competition in the advertising as well as the marketplace. I'm glad Insomniac's game is still going strong post-presentation; I was slightly worried the momentum would peter off after a week.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That was brilliant. I love seeing Ubisoft as the laughing stock of real game developers. Too bad Sunset Overdrive is an Xbone exclusive.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well played, Insomniac, but will it be worth the cost in resources!? :O

Seriously though, it's nice to see that it's included. The gender-neutral clothing is a particularly nice touch. I mean, I'll probably end up with "default guy" for the most part if I get it (a high possibility at this point, loved everything I've seen so far), but it's nice to have options for those who want them.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Sony you stupid, stupid, fucks. Why'd you let this game slip through your fingers?!

It's as if as soon as the Last of Us came out they've been drinking nothing but petrol.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Ugh.. I hate, hate, hate playing with Xbox controllers. That's why I've never got into the console. I don't even think anyone in my circle of friends has the xbone... So I can't even borrow theirs.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I REALLY hope this game is a TIMED exclusive, because I DETEST playing with the 360 controller.
-It's better than the first Xbox controller, but that's not saying much.

Still, love the jabs.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I think because of this I might just buy Sunset Overdrive regardless of the fact that I do not now, nor do I plan to, own an Xbone, having the guts to not just allow any kind of gender and character customization, but also take a jab at Ubi in the same breath deserves reward.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
As much as I love Insomniac taking a shot at Ubisoft, the thing that stuck out to me were the gnomes. Are those the Lawn Ninjas from Ratchet 3? 0-0

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Pickaxe wielding axe that use inappropriate language... as a trap effect

Hahahaahahahaaha

That is hilarious. There were some devs who had fun with that.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, good on them for trying to me more open-minded. Too bad more companies can't be like that *cough*Ubisoft*cough*...

Oh and the game looks like a blast, especially with the ways you ca take out enemies.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Random Argument Man said:
???????

I'm going to quote Han Solo. I know Sunset Overdrive is going for a certain vibe and some will grill me for my response, but I'm going to quote Han Solo.

"Don't get cocky".

I'm all for gender, race and orientation diversity in games. I'm a bit annoyed when someone says " LOOK GUYS! YOU KNOW THAT WRONG THING THAT OTHER GUY DID?!? I'M NOT DOING IT AND I'M TAKING A BETTER STEP".

You don't need to point things in people's faces. Let your actions speak for yourself instead of bragging of your actions.
If you'd actually watched the video you'd realise it was a fairly toned down dig at ubisoft, they didn't make a hude deal out of it.

OT: Yeah the more I see of this game the more I wish they'd release it on PC.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Revolutionary said:
Random Argument Man said:
???????

"Don't get cocky".

If you'd actually watched the video you'd realise it was a fairly toned down dig at ubisoft, they didn't make a hude deal out of it.

OT: Yeah the more I see of this game the more I wish they'd release it on PC.
I did watch the video before. Did my post look like a "judgish"? yeah a bit. I still think it's a cocky move.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Lawn Gnomes with normal-sized pickaxes... I'd love to play this game, but console... so no.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
I can be a cross-dresser? Sold! If I ever get an Xbone at least.

Oh, and all the other stuff is great as well of course...

obedai

Mar 19, 2010
I'm really glad that they offer gender-neutral options. Trans people and crossdressers get shit on by pop culture all the time, and I like seeing them getting some representation that isn't negative. More of this please publishers!