New Super Luigi U DLC Joins Wii U eShop Offerings

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
New Super Luigi U DLC Joins Wii U eShop Offerings

Nintendo's most high-profile stab at downloadable content to date is now available for purchase on the Wii U's eShop.

For those of you unaware, New Super Luigi U made its Wii U eShop debut this morning. The title, which will be released in standard retail disc form on August 25, is actually something of a downloadable content addition for New Super Mario Bros. U. To Nintendo's credit though, this isn't a simple skin pack or horse armor release. New Super Luigi U replaces all of the stages found in New Super Mario Bros. U with new, more difficult ones. Further, the DLC drops Mario as player 1 and instead casts players as Luigi. As long-time Mario Bros. fans would expect, Luigi handles differently from his brother. He can jump higher, but has less traction on solid ground.

So, how much is all of this going to cost you? A cursory glance at the Wii U's eShop reveals a $20 price tag, though it should be noted that you'll need to own a copy of New Super Mario Bros. U to play the DLC. If you'd rather wait until August for the retail iteration of the title, that's an option, but if you choose that route you will be missing all of the base content originally included in New Super Mario Bros. U.

Alongside the release of this DLC, Nintendo also dropped a new update for New Super Mario Bros. U. Next time you fire up the game it should automatically update itself to version 1.30. This patch includes only two major additions: All the necessary technological changes to prepare New Super Mario Bros. U for the New Super Luigi U DLC (obviously), and support for the Wii U Pro Controller. I mention this because if we're being totally honest, as much as I'm psyched for Luigi's adventure, I'm even more pleased that I'll finally be able to sit on my couch and play a proper 2D Super Mario Bros title with a real, honest-to-Bowser controller. It feels like 1995 all over again!

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'm certainly gonna buy this (Either Today or Tomorrow as DLC). It looks like fun, and I want a good challenge.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Earnest Cavalli said:
and support for the Wii U Pro Controller. I mention this because if we're being totally honest, as much as I'm psyched for Luigi's adventure, I'm even more pleased that I'll finally be able to sit on my couch and play a proper 2D Super Mario Bros title with a real, honest-to-Bowser controller. It feels like 1995 all over again!
For real, right? I couldn't get over how frustrating I found it to not use the new nintendo pro controller - especially because I actually like how the damn thing feels.

OT - if anyone buys this, report back and let us know what you think! I'm curious, myself.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
JonB said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
and support for the Wii U Pro Controller. I mention this because if we're being totally honest, as much as I'm psyched for Luigi's adventure, I'm even more pleased that I'll finally be able to sit on my couch and play a proper 2D Super Mario Bros title with a real, honest-to-Bowser controller. It feels like 1995 all over again!
For real, right? I couldn't get over how frustrating I found it to not use the new nintendo pro controller - especially because I actually like how the damn thing feels.

OT - if anyone buys this, report back and let us know what you think! I'm curious, myself.
I can attest to being irked by the total lack of pro controller support until now. I love the Wii U pro controller, it's so very comfy to use, shame Mario Bros U never supported it, because if I'm not using it off-screen the gamepad is a waste for that game.

Love me some bathroom/bed/bath tub mario though!

OT: I will totally feedback as soon as the full retail hits next month.

Jun 20, 2013
So ... ? Are we looking at a Peach / Daisy DLC if this does well?

OT: I am still baffled that the Mario and Luigi relationship hasn't managed to descend into Cain and Abel territory.

InvaderTim

Dec 9, 2012
Pretty good so far from what I've played, much more challenging than the base game and an equivalent level for every original level.(a lot of levels)

also nice to see they aren't re-using too many assets either, a lot of original stuff. Recommending for anyone who's already 100% the game and want's more,

although I don't recommend going for 100%... all you get is a damned well done.. I deserved more than that..

InvaderTim

Dec 9, 2012
kR0B45 said:
InvaderTim said:
Pretty good so far from what I've played, much more challenging than the base game and an equivalent level for every original level.(a lot of levels)

also nice to see they aren't re-using too many assets either, a lot of original stuff. Recommending for anyone who's already 100% the game and want's more,

although I don't recommend going for 100%... all you get is a damned well done.. I deserved more than that..
No offense but the game isn't all that hard compared to the platformers from back in the day, even if you ignore all of the hand-holding features.
Not necessarily, If you look back and think are you sure they we're difficult in the gameplay/platforming department or were they difficult in the sense that you we're given three lives and had to start back at world 1 after losing them, thats all I remember. I prefer the super meat boy approach, give me as much challenge as you want but don't penalize me for mistiming a jump by making me go back to three hours ago