New Super Luigi U Gets Standalone Retail Version

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New Super Luigi U Gets Standalone Retail Version

Nabbit, the NPC from the original game will also be included as a playable character in the DLC pack.

This year is the year of Luigi, but you wouldn't know it if Nintendo wasn't constantly telling us. He's had a grand total of one game released starring him (Luigi's Mansion) and a piece DLC announced for the previously released New Super Mario Bros U [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122126-New-Super-Mario-Bros-U-Getting-Luigi-DLC]. In today's Nintendo Direct event, Nintendo top banana Satoru Iwata admitted that this simply was not enough to honor the most cowardly Mario brother, and announced a stand-alone retail release for New Super Luigi U, that won't require the original NSMBU to play.

It will cost $19.99 for the downloadable version, and, perplexingly, $29.99 for the retail version. Nintendo did not specifically state why the retail version cost an extra $10, but one can assume it is because it does not require the original game to play, while the digital version still does. The downloadable content will feature alternate versions of over 80 NSMBU stages, and players will be able to switch between the regular NSMBU and Luigi-focused stages at will. It's probably a safe bet to assume that the non Luigi-focused stages from the original game will not be included in the stand-alone retail version.

Also announced was Nabbit, that stupid annoying bunny-creature-thing from NSMBU, will be making his debut as a full playable character in the Luigi-focused DLC. While Nabbit can't take advantage of any of the traditional Mario powerups, he also takes zero damage from enemies, making him effectively invulnerable. Purists may groan at this news, but gamers with children or younger siblings will probably be jumping for joy. Nabbit will only be available in multiplayer.

The retail version of New Super Luigi U will be released on August 25, while the digital version will be released on June 20.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Alternate versions of stages from a game that's the what, 7th iteration of this formula? As a 20/30 dollar DLC? Please don't tell me Nintendo's gone mad, at least CoD map packs aren't ones you've played with the buildings moved around (I hope someone proves me wrong there).

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
When it has a physical retail version, can you really still call it DLC? Maybe an expansion, but even those often built actual new areas with existing assets instead of just remixing old ones... I realize the distinction is pretty tenuous, of course.

Also, a character that doesn't take damage? That just seems patronizing. Kids don't need to be coddled like that, they muscled their way through the original three Super Mario Bros. back in the day, didn't they?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Because that's what we need.

Another NSMB...

But wait!

It's Luigi!

That's totally different.
Don't you dare diss Luigi Daystar. Respect that stache!

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
The digital version launches June 20 (why do I remember? Its my birthday!).

The stand alone version is a good idea. I may be nuts for Mario and Nintendo, but I wouldn't pay $59.99 for throwback side scroller. Half that, for a full sized game with an increased challenge? I'm all over that.

Though I am getting the DL version.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yay, more New new new new new new new Super Mario Bros! Except Green. It's what everyone wanted!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
So it's like Undead Nightmare for RDR. I can dig it. Might actually pick it up.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I actually kind of like this. Nintendo seems to be pushing the whole "Get Digital!" aspect a lot, and this is certainly better than just only releasing it as Digital only. This way they cater to both parties, but give that bit of tease by saying "The digital version is $10 cheaper! Just own NSMBU!".

I mean, I still don't plan to get a Wii U or NSMBU, but I still like this plan. Don't like the fact that its just replacing Mario with Luigi, but if the stages are good and not copies of the Mario version, then I guess I don't have too much of a problem...

Dec 14, 2009
erttheking said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Because that's what we need.

Another NSMB...

But wait!

It's Luigi!

That's totally different.
Don't you dare diss Luigi Daystar. Respect that stache!
I can not respect a man who's hair colour doesn't match his facial hair.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Alternate versions of stages from a game that's the what, 7th iteration of this formula? As a 20/30 dollar DLC? Please don't tell me Nintendo's gone mad, at least CoD map packs aren't ones you've played with the buildings moved around (I hope someone proves me wrong there).
All the stages are different, but they follow the same theme as the main game. It also introduces a new character with unique abilities not seen in the main game. You've got 100 seconds to complete each level meaning there's a bigger challenge than in the main game.

Basically you're getting the same amount of content as in the full game, but if you buy the standalone you get it at half the price of the main game (without needing the main game to play it).

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Steven Bogos said:
It will cost $19.99 for the downloadable version, and, perplexingly, $29.99 for the retail version.
Why is this perplexing?This is exactly how it should be with digital versions being substantially cheaper than the disc version.The fact that you find this perplexing at all shows how much we've allowed companies to rip us off by charging the same price for both versions

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Yeano..... Nintendo Really? This could have simply been 10 dollars or 5 worth of DLC, and you strech it out to nearly half the price of a full game. Well maybe I'll have a better opinion of it if someone makes a compelling cool video of it on youtube... OH WAIT... yea, I'm done with Nintendo. I've not interest in the Wii U, 3DS, or anything they slock out. Even a Sonic Exclusive on the Wii U isn't going to be enough for me to dish out cash for either console. Sorry Nintendo, but I'm just going to go ahead and be that one less customer who buys from you. Yea no big deal in the long run, I wasn't buying much from you anyway. Drop in the bucket. I just hope more will follow, perhaps put a bit of western thought in the Japanese way of thinking, where a good chunk of your fan base is.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
So for years people complain that digital versions cost the same as retail, and when someone finally comes along and delivers on what they ask for, they're confused. Logic at its finest.

Also, remember people, this isn't just some extra levels. This is an entire new games's worth of content.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Well at least the digital version will cost less than the retail for once, but $20 is still a little steep for some extra levels in a Mario game but with Luigi instead.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Yopaz said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
All the stages are different, but they follow the same theme as the main game. It also introduces a new character with unique abilities not seen in the main game. You've got 100 seconds to complete each level meaning there's a bigger challenge than in the main game.

Basically you're getting the same amount of content as in the full game, but if you buy the standalone you get it at half the price of the main game (without needing the main game to play it).
Oh, that's good to know. Actually makes Mario U look enticing. A question, if you don't mind. If I found NSMB Wii to be WAY too easy and not enough like SMB1&3, would I enjoy Mario U? Is it finally, like...a continuation of what they were working on in Super Mario World I'll pick it up (I think I'm the only Wii U owner that doesn't have that game). It's just that I breezed through NSMB Wii with x99 mans and felt very little of what makes SMB1/3/World special.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
It's an expansion. You expect them to go Blood Dragon and make it completely unrelated?
Honestly, I'd expect more than just slightly altered versions of the original levels. Even with the same aesthetics, they could at least put in the effort to build different stages, it's what they've done with all of the other NSMB games.

EDIT

I also love the irony on display here.

"Nintendo, why are you pricing your digital games the same as the retail game?"

Nintendo: "Well ok then. Here's an expansion. We'll price the digital version less than the retail version."

"Waah! Nintendo, why is your retail version so much more expensive than the digital version?"
That's not irony, and it's a strawman allegation because the only comment on price was an off-hand observation from the article itself that the physical version costs $10 more.