New Super Luigi U Gets Standalone Retail Version

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
Yopaz said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
Alternate versions of stages from a game that's the what, 7th iteration of this formula? As a 20/30 dollar DLC? Please don't tell me Nintendo's gone mad, at least CoD map packs aren't ones you've played with the buildings moved around (I hope someone proves me wrong there).
All the stages are different, but they follow the same theme as the main game. It also introduces a new character with unique abilities not seen in the main game. You've got 100 seconds to complete each level meaning there's a bigger challenge than in the main game.

Basically you're getting the same amount of content as in the full game, but if you buy the standalone you get it at half the price of the main game (without needing the main game to play it).
Oh, that's good to know. Actually makes Mario U look enticing. A question, if you don't mind. If I found NSMB Wii to be WAY too easy and not enough like SMB1&3, would I enjoy Mario U? Is it finally, like...a continuation of what they were working on in Super Mario World I'll pick it up (I think I'm the only Wii U owner that doesn't have that game). It's just that I breezed through NSMB Wii with x99 mans and felt very little of what makes SMB1/3/World special.
I don't know, I decided to skip New Super Mario Bros. U because I was kinda disappointed with how New Super Mario Bros. 2 turned out. I like the idea of of New Super Luigi U because it seems like it might challenge me seeing as there's a stricter time limit though. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I want to play as a Nabbit so badly now. I think I have to get the DLC version simply to play as Nabbit. I certainly don't think it should be a standalone game, but whatever, Nintendo knows what it's doing.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Argh, I hate jumping with Luigi. I would do murders for Luigi's Mansion 2 or otherwise respectable Mario game to have been on some sort of Wii-type console instead of the DS, and this is what we get :C Overall, pretty glad I haven't bought a Wii U yet.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I was hoping Nintendo would actually give me reason to buy a Wii U. They did not.

Good job Nintendo. Good job.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Because that's what we need.

Another NSMB...

But wait!

It's Luigi!

That's totally different.
From what I hear, it is going to be the equiavlent to Mario: The Lost Levels. So just a harder, Luigi themed version, of a game that was already released. AKA, an Expansion. Which is all this is.
Seems legit to me, probably gonna be around £20 for a big expansion... I'm down for more of it, Mario Bros U was easily the best 2D Mario I've played sine Super Mario World.

Can't wait for the 3D Mario game reveal next Direct episode! Not to mention the new Sonic game that has instantly justified my Wii U.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Keep in mind, the NSMB games are being done by a team that pretty much only does NSMB games. Sure, they're not particularly unique, and just about every single one could essentially be an expansion pack to the previous one, but even if they stopped making them, it wouldn't get the next Zelda, or main Mario, or Metroid out any faster, it would just mean less to hold us over while we wait.

P.S. Thanks

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
Mcoffey said:
Nintendo's been charging for the same game with small differences for decades. Who's surprised by this?
GIVE IT UP FOR THE ESCAPIST LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

I wish people would just understand before they comment. This is DLC for NSMBU, they just gave it a retail release aswell for those who don't have/want NSMBU and for those who don't have an internet connection.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Come on guys, complaining that DLC isn't a system seller is just outright asinine. Of course it isn't. It is also understandable that it has a retail version to, haven't you ever been to gamestop? You have been able buy DLC there for PS3 and 360 games for years now, though it's usually a box with code in it or just a card. This is actually a game disc, which would explain why it costs more.

I do however agree it's too expensive and not worth the money.

The New Super Mario formula should have died after it's first iteration on the original DS. It isn't bad, but it just isn't anywhere within the stratosphere of other great Mario formulas that could have had longer staying power. Several games done in the fashion of Super Mario world, or Mario 3 (you know, the most popular ones) would have been better received by critics and fans alike if they were what Nintendo had been giving us all this time.

Covarr said:
Sure, they're not particularly unique, and just about every single one could essentially be an expansion pack to the previous one, but even if they stopped making them, it wouldn't get the next Zelda, or main Mario, or Metroid out any faster, it would just mean less to hold us over while we wait.
Oh yeah, and what this person said.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Since there's going to be a physical version, I'm just going to wait until August for my copy. I gotta have something physical and I can't deny that I've been interested in this since the announcement.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Nintendo top banana Satoru Iwata

I don't think it's perplexing that the disk version costs $29.99 and the digital costs $19.99. You pay more for a solid, real world product, and less for a collection carefully arranged particles. It seems perplexing that we pay the same amount for a nebulas, intangible version of a solid product.