New Super Mario Bros. U Getting Luigi DLC

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
New Super Mario Bros. U Getting Luigi DLC

Nintendo's "Year of Luigi" continues with alternate versions of 80 New Super Mario Bros. U levels.

Earlier today, Nintendo head honcho Satoru Iwata dubbed 2013 the "Year of Luigi" on the latest installment of Nintendo Direct. In addition to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, the green-hatted Mario brother will take center stage in New Super Luigi U, which is Luigi-focused DLC for Wii U launch game New Super Mario Bros. U.

The downloadable content will feature alternate versions of over 80 NSMBU stages, and will be available at some point in 2013. Players will be able to switch between the regular NSMBU and Luigi-focused stages at will.

No release date or price was given for the DLC, though Iwata stated that it would take a while to complete, so a safe guess would be that we won't see New Super Luigi U until the second half of 2013. Congratulations, Luigi; it only took 30 years for Nintendo to appreciate you as much as your brother.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
After beating the main game (heh 100%, as if) I was really disappointed that there was no way to toggle between Mario and Luigi. I can't remember how it was for NSMB on the DS but as recently as NSMB2 you could play as 'Uigi as soon as you watched those credits roll and I used him to grind myself up to a million coins. Oh well, I guess there's no reason to get mad until they release a price for my favorite of the Mario Brothers.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
So much love for 'Uigi this year. Makes me quite happy. I still need to preorder Dark Moon too, which is rare for me to actually preorder a game.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
After beating the main game (heh 100%, as if) I was really disappointed that there was no way to toggle between Mario and Luigi. I can't remember how it was for NSMB on the DS but as recently as NSMB2 you could play as 'Uigi as soon as you watched those credits roll and I used him to grind myself up to a million coins. Oh well, I guess there's no reason to get mad until they release a price for my favorite of the Mario Brothers.
THe DS version let you switch and the Wii version had Luigi as multiplayer only. I'm looking forward to this if it's well priced methinx, I just beat the U version not long ago and I'm slowly working on snagging all the star coins for the normal levels before taking on star road.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Neronium said:
So much love for 'Uigi this year. Makes me quite happy. I still need to preorder Dark Moon too, which is rare for me to actually preorder a game.
Ma pre-order be processing. I can't remember whether the multiplayer for it is online or just local, I do hope it's online then I may actually have a chance of playing it!

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Wow they are basically giving us 80 levels with this? ...Now I am going to go play that game again, I haven't even finished it and this is exciting for me.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok so it's not as bad as I thought when I first read the title, still I don't think this is an effective use of the concept of DLC. I think a much more effective use would be to do something similar to that thing they did with the e-reader with Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, add new levels that use power-ups, mechanics, and enemies from previous Mario games, only without the hassle of having to buy a separate peripheral and a second console.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Glad to see Luigi is getting some love.

OT: So an expansion pack. Sounds good. But pricing could change that.