New Tabletop Games for Fall - The Must See at Essen Spiel 2015

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
New Tabletop Games for Fall - The Must See at Essen Spiel 2015

Here are some of the biggest games we're looking forward to seeing at Essen/Spiel 2015!

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
Oh Eurogames; for when you want to take a tableful of friends and turn them into masterful bankers and bitter lifelong enemies.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Oh Eurogames; for when you want to take a tableful of friends and turn them into masterful bankers and bitter lifelong enemies.
Ok you have to explain to me what exactly you mean by Eurogames.
Because googling produces this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroGames And I'm sure that's not what you meant.

On topic:
A few of my friends go there every year and we will make a board-gaming day on the 18.
I'm interested which of those, if any, I will be playing. And winning.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
You should've seen the salt flow when I played CO2 a while back. I can like Eurogames, I swear, but when played with diehard gamers they become such a cold-hearted affair.

Luckily there seem to be a lot of non-Eurogames on that list too. Stagecoach, Exoplanets and Small City (well maybe that's partially a Eurogame, but it looks more casual) and Codename look amazingly fun for my weekday boardgaming. Discoveries and Tesla VS Edison look really cool too, but for my Sunday boardgaming instead.

Jan 12, 2012
Dornedas said:
Ok you have to explain to me what exactly you mean by Eurogames.
Because googling produces this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroGames And I'm sure that's not what you meant.
Gotta check the disambiguation page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurogame

It's an unofficial category for board games that emphasize long-term strategy and an abstract competition for resources, usually without much direct conflict between players. They have a tendency to get very competitive, as the players are put into a zero-sum situation where they have to choose who to screw over, and how much, every turn in order to secure victory for yourself. Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne are the most popular versions internationally.

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Quick note: when you say, "no really this is a euro game, only it has dice and the main mechanic is attacking each other!" then no, it's not a euro game.

Euros can be GREAT. They can also be multiplayer solitaire. It also depends on the people you're playing with. Don't blame good games for bad people.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
I will be there in about 11 hours from now.
I hope me and my friends don't mess up with our train and such.
And then marching and watching and burning money for the next circa 7 hours.
And then back home and hope we arent dazed enough to miss our station.

What i am psyched about (All those games *_*) is the german version of the expansions for Machi Koro. Finaly, they release the two expansions in german. And all in one box. I hope i have enough sleeves.

And the Suburbia 5-Stars expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0248pUAteWk

Edit:
There was a mess up with the trains. But not on our side. our train was canceled and we were stranded for a while. But we still made it.
And now my back is mangeled and my legs hurt.
One thing, non of the guides for any game fair, told me is: Bring a pushcart. (or however it's called)
No matter what kind of. A wheeled siutcase that's big enough would also do it i guess. If there are too many people, leave it at the cloakroom or bring a bike lock. But bring a wheeled thing.
Not having this is a nightmare.
I bought 7 games and had a bunch of waterbottles in my backpack. You can't do anything, you constantly jolt someone with your pack and the bags are unwieldy. If you want to try a game, you have to stash that stuff under your chair or the table because you never know.