New ThunderCats Series Coming to Cartoon Network Next Year

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New ThunderCats Series Coming to Cartoon Network Next Year

Lion-O and the rest of the ThunderCats are returning to the small screen in 2011, courtesy of Cartoon Network.
If you grew up in the early 1980s, it's a safe bet that you were at least a little swept up by the mania surrounding the TV show [http://www.amazon.com/Thundercats-Season-One-Larry-Kenney/dp/B0009IW8AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276201226&sr=8-1]. Even if you're too young to have fallen in love with the series during its original airing, you might have fallen in love with it when Cartoon Network aired it as part of it "Toonami" block from 1997 until 2002. Fans of The Cats have something new to celebrate, though, as Warner Bros. has announced that a new ThunderCats series is coming to Cartoon Network sometime next year.

The series is going to be co-produced by Studio4ºC, which has films like [http://www.amazon.com/Animatrix-Akio-%C3%94tsuka/dp/B00008LDPU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276201264&sr=1-1] in its credit lineup. If you think the new show will have an anime-oriented feeling, you're right, as Warner Bros. confirmed that it will be the company's first anime series.

The ThunderCats brand has been seeing a gradual resurgence in popularity every since it was rebroadcast on Cartoon Network, with DC Comics running a series of comic books under its Wildstorm imprint that have generally been well-received.

The last time a series reboot like this happened was also with Cartoon Network, which created its own [http://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters-Universe-Cam-Clarke/dp/B002DQL34G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276201308&sr=1-1] series in 2002. It wasn't a perfect reincarnation, but it was a love letter to fans of the original show that many of us embraced. Here's hoping the new ThunderCats series is even better.

Warner Bro. press release is below:

Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) has begun production on ThunderCats, an all-new animated series for Cartoon Network, based upon the iconic 1980s action classic. ThunderCats is the newest series from WBA, joining Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which was recently renewed for a third season, and the following forthcoming programs: Scooby-Doo! [http://www.amazon.com/Looney-Tunes-Spotlight-Collection-Vols/dp/B001RXB4IG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276201351&sr=1-1] Mystery Incorporated and Young Justice. The announcement was made today by Sam Register, Executive Vice President, Creative Affairs, Warner Bros. Animation.

"In addition to being Warner Bros. Animation's first anime series, ThunderCats marks our most ambitious foray yet into fantasy," said Register. "The realism and dynamic visual style we've achieved are sure to thrill viewers, and the cool weapons, vehicles and technology should help the show appeal to a diverse audience."

The 21st century reimagining of the series marks a creative collaboration between WBA and Studio4°C, one of the most vibrant animation studios in Japan, with credits including The Animatrix, Gotham Knights and Halo Legends. WBA is working closely with Studio4°C, utilizing the latter's expertise to give the ThunderCats characters a new cutting-edge look while remaining true to the compelling storylines and mythology of the original series.

"We at Studio4°C are excited to be in this creative partnership with Warner Bros. Animation to bring ThunderCats to life," said Eiko Tanaka, President and CEO, Studio4°C. "This collaboration combines the strengths of our two companies - high production values and great storytelling - toward reintroducing this classic fan-favorite to a new audience."

Roaring to life through WBA and Studio4°C's use of the Japanese animated artistry of anime, ThunderCats characters Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Panthro, Cheetara and others will spring off the screen with realistic cat-like characteristics inconceivable in previous incarnations.

The new ThunderCats will appeal to viewers who have loved the characters all their lives as well as young newcomers to the franchise. A sweeping tale combining swords and science and boasting ferocious battles with the highest of stakes, the grand origin story of Prince Lion-O's ascension to the throne - and of those who would thwart his destiny at any cost - takes on epic dimensions in this sharp new telling. As the forces of good and evil battle each other in the quest for the fabled Stones of Power, Lion-O and his champions learn valuable lessons of loyalty, honor and mortality in every episode.

ThunderCats is executive produced by Sam Register (Avatar: The Last Airbender [http://www.amazon.com/Teen-Titans-Complete-Season-Collection/dp/B000CEXFZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276201453&sr=1-1]) are the producers.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5553508/a-new-thundercats-series-is-coming-in-2011-rowr>io9

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Remember when they did a "2000s He-Man"? It was pretty good. Perhaps the "2010s ThunderCats" will follow in its footsteps.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Oh wow, nice.

That is a great studio, I must say. Kind of wish it was a different show from those times. I must admit I loved them all.

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
Why do they have to ruin my childhood memmories? I doubt it will be at the same level than the original

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
"Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!" I cannot say what I see, for it is too gruesome for any other mortal to view. I shall bear this burden myself.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Two news stories about Thundercats in a single week roughly 20 years after its heyday? Weird.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
I remember the Thundercats series well....I also have the ENTIRE DVD Set of the series.

The ONLY thing that I would like to see is that they get of the HHHOOOOOO that they always shout.

Eliam....try to be more open minded. It is not even out yet and you are bashing it. Give it a chance.

I look forward to seeing this.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Ah, Animatrix, the only animé I have ever watched. Never watched thundercats, but I'm sure it will bring in a new line of young furries.

Apr 28, 2008

Anyway, sounds awesome! I managed to catch the show when it was on Toonami (All hail Toonami!). Hopefully they don't muck it up.

Thunder, Thunder, THUNDERCATS!

[HEADING=1]HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/HEADING]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sweeet! Great to see kids will be able to see what was a staple of alot of our childhoods! Better than some of the stuff they watch these days thats for surwe!

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Damn you Eye of Thundera we should have seen this coming.

Turns out sight beyond sight isn't all its cracked up to be.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I have a mega bad feeling about the charecter design... Im going to cry once i see this, and not in a good way,..

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
So...Cartoon network will actually start having Cartoons now?..Whoa...

Well i wish it well, but i dont have highhopes.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I think the proper course of action here is to expect one of the worst cartoons of all time to be created, that way I CAN'T be disappointed.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
As downhill cartoon network has fallen in recent year, I'm willing to give a Thunder Cats reboot a fighting chance, especially since it's being done by the animatrix people. If all else fails at least its not another live action show they're forcing down our throats under the moniker of "live action cartoon show".....you see the flaw in that statement I assume.

Before I begin to rant I'll say this...whoever decided we needed a segment of programming on that channel called CN Real needs to die in a fire for creating shows like Bobee says, Destroy Build Destroy, and f'ing Dude what would happen (more like dude we found some stoners desperate for cash so we gave them a mythbusters parody show). Oh and don't even get me started on their newest show called Unnatural History...