New Titanfall 2 Trailer Shows Off Single-Player and the Vision that Drives it

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Titanfall 2 Trailer Shows Off Single-Player and the Vision that Drives it

The newest trailer for Titanfall 2 features devs talking about the ideas behind the game's singleplayer campaign.

In a little over two weeks, you'll be able to play Titanfall 2 yourself. Respawn Entertainment has made some big changes for the sequel to their multiplayer shooter, and one of the big ones is a much larger focus on the game's single-player campaign.

That's the focus of the newest trailer released for the game, which features devs talking about the campaign accompanied by plenty of gameplay footage.

Among the things mentioned in the trailer are the game's boss battles, large set pieces, the inclusion of puzzle elements, and of course, mobility. It looks like there will be a much more involved single-player campaign, as well as some new elements as well. Players will be able to utilize many different types of titans from multiplayer in the single-player campaign.

Titanfall 2 will be available on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on October 28.

Mar 26, 2008
Wall running to catch up and jump in a moving freighter!? Take my money!

Not sure about the "puzzle moments" though. Hope they're not too intrusive.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Did the titan just tell his pilot to trust him before he threw him?
Are these titans self aware now?

That is actually kinda cool from a narrative perspective, can't wait to see them develop some humor into their programming.
"Get inside me."
-"I hate it when you say that."

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
It's a neat trailer, but it just puts into video form what Respawn had already discussed (in greater detail) in their dev blog entry on the campaign.

Still, awesome to see more footage of the game. October 28th is too far away.

Programmed_For_Damage said:
Wall running to catch up and jump in a moving freighter!? Take my money!
And, wallrunning on equipment and construction pieces inside a gigantic factory while the machinery are actively constructing entire landscapes around you. Wallrunning through canyons while Spectres are chasing you. Engaging in a boss fight atop a flying freighter while piloting your Titan.

Seems like Respawn injected virtually every nutty idea they could come up with.

Combustion Kevin said:
Did the titan just tell his pilot to trust him before he threw him?
Are these titans self aware now?
Yup. The AI constructs in each Titan are self-aware. Each has its own personality.

A far more inspired, and interesting, idea than what they'd done in the first game.

That is actually kinda cool from a narrative perspective, can't wait to see them develop some humor into their programming.
"Get inside me."
-"I hate it when you say that."
I've been saying it since they first revealed the campaign: If they don't have BT7274 fist bump the player character at some point in the story, I will be very disappointed.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Holy shit, a Titanfall announcement thread where the first comment isn't some snarky joke about the game finally having single player or a condescending "Meh."? Color me impressed

That said, I'm incredibly glad they're being so up-front about all their new info for the game.
You can really tell they put a lot of care into making a game everyone can love

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Klagermeister said:
Holy shit, a Titanfall announcement thread where the first comment isn't some snarky joke about the game finally having single player or a condescending "Meh."? Color me impressed
Give it time. When the more cynical posters are bored with whatever other thing they're 'hating' on they'll almost assuredly show up here to say something 'snarky'.

That said, I'm incredibly glad they're being so up-front about all their new info for the game.
You can really tell they put a lot of care into making a game everyone can love
Their blog posts and videos have been fairly interesting so far. Most of the info is just basic game dev stuff, nothing really new, but they have gone into detail on the more unorthodox methods they used.

Though...I'm still hoping they provide a bit more detail on their server and matchmaking systems. Their related video was rather scant.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Looking good, and thanks to reading Vigormortis's comment, I am now extra-cheerful that this game is so close to release date! Given what I've read of the first game's ending, I wonder how much of the game will involve the Militia taking the fight to the enemy on their own turf, and how much will be moping up stubborn IMC remnants who, if all these individualized Titan pics I've seen are any indication, appear to be breaking up into mini-factions.

Klagermeister said:
Although heavily outnumbered and in hostile territory, there *are* a few of us on the Escapist who unironically enjoy military shooters.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Meh.

Seriously though, the singleplayer looks way more exciting than the multiplayer. Although the videos they have put out were being played at the easiest difficulty level. Whoever is in charge of marketing, please stop doing that. It only makes your game look bad.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I never played Titanfall
and initially I wasn't interested in 2
but after these singleplayer trailers, and a couple snippets of multiplayer I'm actually pretty hype

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Death Carr said:
I never played Titanfall
and initially I wasn't interested in 2
but after these singleplayer trailers, and a couple snippets of multiplayer I'm actually pretty hype
I know a few people who felt the same. At first their impression of the game could be summed up as a resounding 'meh', but after watching
and asking me if what was shown is actually what the game plays like (it is), they were suddenly more excited for the game than even I was.

Here's hoping Respawn doesn't disappoint. I logged hundreds of hours in the first game, even managing to compete in tourneys and scrims. Would be a hell of a shame if the sequel doesn't at least live up to its predecessor.

Dragonlayer said:
Looking good, and thanks to reading Vigormortis's comment, I am now extra-cheerful that this game is so close to release date!
So close, yet so far away...

Although heavily outnumbered and in hostile territory, there *are* a few of us on the Escapist who unironically enjoy military shooters.
Ooph, are we ever outnumbered.

Even more so if you happen to be one of the few who are looking forward to the Infinite Warfare campaign.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Dragonlayer said:
Looking good, and thanks to reading Vigormortis's comment, I am now extra-cheerful that this game is so close to release date!
So close, yet so far away...

Ooph, are we ever outnumbered.

Even more so if you happen to be one of the few who are looking forward to the Infinite Warfare campaign.
Battlefield 1 was originally my highest priority, but given certain revelations about the length of the single-player and certain implications about the playable nations of said single-player, I may just have to go for Titanfall 2 instead. The potential of a AAA WW1 game is *far* too great to simply ignore of course, but if I'm to get something by the end of this month, I'd like it to have a fully fleshed out campaign for me to sink my teeth into.

I *am* looking forward to Infinite Warfare's campaign, more so than I anticipated, given their early announcements stating it would have a very black and white, Good vs Evil storyline. But the gunplay looks as satisfying as ever, and the prospect of non-linearity as we fly the Retribution to infinity glory and beyond is intriguing. But I expect I will be one of maybe three positive commentators in the review section when the Escapist takes a look, because this is the site that embraced the term "Piss-gargle wee-wee shooter" with great enthusiasm after all.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
How about... a full-fledged Practice/Instant Action mode a la Unreal Tournament or Halo 3? FFS, everyone was whining about how it didn't have a campaign but what it really needed was more offline features.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Dragonlayer said:
Battlefield 1 was originally my highest priority, but given certain revelations about the length of the single-player and certain implications about the playable nations of said single-player, I may just have to go for Titanfall 2 instead. The potential of a AAA WW1 game is *far* too great to simply ignore of course, but if I'm to get something by the end of this month, I'd like it to have a fully fleshed out campaign for me to sink my teeth into.
While I would love to see a high-budget, proper WWI-themed game, when Battlefield 1 was announced[footnote]I still say that is a catastrophically stupid title.[/footnote] I felt no excitement. As far as I'm concerned, ever since the days of Bad Company 2 and Mirror's Edge, DICE's quality has been going down hill. And fast. Coupled with the utter fiascos that were Battlefield 3 and 4 (and Battlefront), I expected nothing of 1.

Well...except for a shallow, buggy, completely unstable DLC-delivery-system of a game.

I *am* looking forward to Infinite Warfare's campaign, more so than I anticipated, given their early announcements stating it would have a very black and white, Good vs Evil storyline. But the gunplay looks as satisfying as ever, and the prospect of non-linearity as we fly the Retribution to infinity glory and beyond is intriguing.
That's where my interest lies. The non-linear mission structure and the seamless transitions between planet-side and space combat (both in and out of the Jackal) sounds very interesting. Call of Duty narratives have always been stupid, but the gameplay structure sounds too fun to pass up.

Plus, say what they will, but no one can deny that Infinity Ward are quite adept at level design and crafting great art assets and vistas. Can't wait to fight the baddies on the moons of Jupiter.

Well...and I have to admit, the new Zombies campaign looks spectacular.

David Hasselhoff as a DJ in an 80's zombie movie? Yes, please.

But I expect I will be one of maybe three positive commentators in the review section when the Escapist takes a look, because this is the site that embraced the term "Piss-gargle wee-wee shooter" with great enthusiasm after all.
I dunno. I've embraced it in the same way some PC gamers ironically embraced "PC Master Race". I use it as a slight against those who unironically use it to just dismiss these sorts of games out of hand.

Eventually the term will irritate even them. Then I'll use it even more.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Dragonlayer said:
While I would love to see a high-budget, proper WWI-themed game, when Battlefield 1 was announced I felt no excitement. As far as I'm concerned, ever since the days of Bad Company 2 and Mirror's Edge, DICE's quality has been going down hill. And fast. Coupled with the utter fiascos that were Battlefield 3 and 4 (and Battlefront), I expected nothing of 1.

Well...except for a shallow, buggy, completely unstable DLC-delivery-system of a game.

I *am* looking forward to Infinite Warfare's campaign, more so than I anticipated, given their early announcements stating it would have a very black and white, Good vs Evil storyline. But the gunplay looks as satisfying as ever, and the prospect of non-linearity as we fly the Retribution to infinity glory and beyond is intriguing.
That's where my interest lies. The non-linear mission structure and the seamless transitions between planet-side and space combat (both in and out of the Jackal) sounds very interesting. Call of Duty narratives have always been stupid, but the gameplay structure sounds too fun to pass up.

Plus, say what they will, but no one can deny that Infinity Ward are quite adept at level design and crafting great art assets and vistas. Can't wait to fight the baddies on the moons of Jupiter.

Well...and I have to admit, the new Zombies campaign looks spectacular.

David Hasselhoff as a DJ in an 80's zombie movie? Yes, please.

But I expect I will be one of maybe three positive commentators in the review section when the Escapist takes a look, because this is the site that embraced the term "Piss-gargle wee-wee shooter" with great enthusiasm after all.
I dunno. I've embraced it in the same way some PC gamers ironically embraced "PC Master Race". I use it as a slight against those who unironically use it to just dismiss these sorts of games out of hand.

Eventually the term will irritate even them. Then I'll use it even more.
Eh, I have faith. Quite possibly misplaced faith considering that I haven't played 4 or Battlefront, but I wouldn't consider 3 a "fiasco" and I just want a WW1 game that isn't, A) a weak biplane simulator or B) Valiant Hearts[footnote]A fantastically moving game, but sometimes you just want to shoot your fellow man in the face rather than understand his plight.[/footnote], *that* badly. With any luck, Battlefield 1 will sell sextillions and inspire more companies to get in on the act, leading to more in-depth single-player campaigns; *possibly* even as those totes irredeemably evil Huns!

*Some* COD narratives have been stupid, such as Modern Warfare 3's "Russia invades everywhere AT THE SAME TIME" nonsense, but you can't deny they put at least some effort into creating a sense of moral ambiguity, particularly in the Black Ops games. Considering the space jerks of Infinite Warfare sound similar to the glorious Helghast, I was hoping that grey and grey approach would continue, with the Settlement Defence Front having more legitimate reasons for conflict than simply hating our delicious Earth freedom, but oh well. Never been interested in the zombie aspects, at least after they started a very convoluted and goofy storyline - though the amount of celebrities they get to star in each game is pretty cool.

I can't stand the term myself, or the culture of casual contempt that spawned it, but that is a good way of reclaiming it.