New Tomb Raider Movie Could Adapt Lara's Reboot

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
New Tomb Raider Movie Could Adapt Lara's Reboot

Crystal Dynamics wants upcoming Tomb Raider films to form "a cohesive version of the franchise".

The Tomb Raider reboot launch is rapidly approaching, and even now two Tomb Raider films have already been produced, while plans <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114307-New-Tomb-Raider-Film-Will-Be-a-Character-Piece>to reboot the storyline for a third were circulating in 2011. In fact, the videogame reboot and movie reboot may have quite a bit in common: Crystal Dynamics and GK Films are reportedly working together to adapt Lara's latest interpretation for the big screen.

"[GK Films] are working from this new take that we've given them," Darrell Gallagher said in an interview with Variety. "It was important for both of us to have a cohesive version of the franchise ... We didn't want to see a film version that was a continuation of the old Tomb Raider films."

The original Tomb Raider movies were successful enough, raking in over $430 million at the box office between them. Both movies even made the top ten on Rotten Tomato's best videogame adaptations list, although neither were considered to be more than popcorn fodder. Lara's creators could be setting their sights higher for another adaptation, as noted by one film producer suggesting <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114307-New-Tomb-Raider-Film-Will-Be-a-Character-Piece>that Tomb Raider will be a character piece. In 2011, no one was quite sure what to make of such statements, but the latest game has certainly painted those prospects in a whole new light.

If the new game is a success, which we can certainly bet on, fans will likely see more of what a film could entail. The only question would be whether GK Films' version of Lara could be as engaging as Crystal Dynamic's latest interpretation. The new screenplay is reportedly being developed by Iron Man's Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby.

Source: Variety, via <a href=http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/05/tomb-raider-movie-reboot-developed-in-line-with-new-game>IGN

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
So it's going to star Ellen Page or Rooney Mara instead of Angela Jolie?
Sounds good to me.

Seriously, I'm keeping this movie on my watchlist now. I really like the idea of the new Tomb Raider, and I bet they could do a good movie with it.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm still a little annoyed that Lara's boobs had shrunk.

Still a great game though.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm more interested in who's gonna play Lara Croft. I'd like it to be Scarlett Johansson. But it's probably not gonna be her :(

Jun 16, 2010
Rooney Mara, Ellen Page, Scarlett Johansson... Pfft.
Lara Croft is the only iconic female video game hero that isn't American (hell, she's one of the few iconic heroes in Western media that isn't American, male or female) and ya'll want to Americanise her.

I think she should be played by Saoirse Ronan:

[small]I don't care if that's hypocritical.[/small]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I think they are getting ahead of themselves, to be honest. I haven't beaten the game yet, but I don't know if I would want to watch an hour and half of grunting, crying, daddy issue stumble and fumble her way through an encounter with anything. Not that I'm not enjoying the game. I very much am enjoying the actual gameplay, but so far the character hasn't arched at all, which is a bit annoying. It feels kind of like, Metroid: Other M, in the way they over feminized her character. At least this is a reboot and a new origin story though. Here is to hoping. Here is also hoping to seeing a good Tomb Raider movie.