New Tomb Raider Movie Is Filming, Here Are Some Set Photos

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
New Tomb Raider Movie Is Filming, Here Are Some Set Photos

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1380/1380336.jpg

The next attempt at adapting Tomb Raider to the big screen has begun filming.

In case you haven't heard, Hollywood is doing another a reboot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tomb+raider], which took the series in a slightly different direction and has generally gotten a good reception from both fans and critics.

Now, the movies are following suit. Scheduled for a 2018 release, a new Tomb Raider movie will star Alicia Vikander [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/alicia+vikander]. Earlier today, a few set photos were released.

[gallery=6907]

None of these in any way indicate whether or not the new Tomb Raider movie will be good, but if nothing else they should give you an idea of how Vikander looks in the role. Personally, I think she looks perfect for it. Of course, we still haven't gotten a better-than-okay video game movie, so Tomb Raider might have to break new ground in order to be well-received.

Are you guys excited to see Lara Croft back on the big screen?

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/tomb-raider-set-photos-alicia-vikander-lara-croft/]

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Judging from looks alone, the casting is spot-on.

Also, she was Ava in Ex Machina, so she has some acting chops.

I'm actually a little excited now. This movie might actually be good.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pretty girl with dark brown hair in a ponytail. Lara isnt the hardest visually to cast for.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Meh, I always thought this actress always looked so bland outside of Ex Machina, and in Ex Machina her still existing blandness made some sense. At least the costume is good.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh joy!

Well, I hope this piece of shit videogame adaptation won't end up being a piece of shit videogame adaptation.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Looks spot on.
But maybe Angelina Jolie as an older Lara would've been better.

Young action stars have been the mold for so many decades now...
Let's try aging some lead characters once in awhile.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Oh, they're filming it exactly by that horrible reboot shite, that made a strong original character into a stupid Mary Sue. Yay. Well, one less movie to be interested in.

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Well it can't be worse written than the reboot games. Hope she can whine incessently or as it is called in gamoing, 'Character Development'

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I'll admit that I didn't play the new game, or any of them since the very first one (which I was surprised to find I enjoyed), but I have seen enough of the stills/promo stuff while Rise was coming out to think she seems pretty spot on for capturing Lara's new look.

I hope for people who like the franchise, that this is a great film.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Rastrelly said:
Oh, they're filming it exactly by that horrible reboot shite, that made a strong original character into a stupid Mary Sue. Yay. Well, one less movie to be interested in.
How is the reboot Lara Croft a Mary Sue, if the original wasn't?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
So, um, Hollywood does cosplay now? Neat.

Looks great, but as as been noted the reboot design isn't exactly a challenge to recreate in a realworld setting, and a cosplay reveal tells us nothing about the film. I loved the reboot, but I have no faith in or positive expectations for a bigscreen outing (no one would/could when it comes to film adaptations of games).

Rastrelly said:
Oh, they're filming it exactly by that horrible reboot shite, that made a strong original character into a stupid Mary Sue.
Since when was a Bond-esque, imperialistic sociopath[footnote]Addressing any counter accusations of nu-Lara being a sociopath; yes, she transitions from her first traumatic kill to being A Videogame Protagonist With A Gun pretty damn quickly, but it's still important, as Rhianna Pratchett noted, that the narrative actually recognises that she crossed a line. Typically games never even try to address a psychological impact of murdering another human being. Also, as she also noted; it's still a game, and you couldn't have every kill 'be the first kill'. You have the story/character beat, and move on. It was a compromise.[/footnote] a "strong original character"? I've played TR since its [PS1] debut, and reboot Lara's the first time I've ever actually fully empathised with or liked the character[footnote]Though I'd say classic Lara was necessary for the '90's, and nu-Lara suited the immediate post-Katniss era.[/footnote].

Also, do you have an issue with all heroes/protagonists who seem especially capable (y'know, which is a huge part of projected hero fantasies/mythologies), or just the female ones?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
Looks spot on.
But maybe Angelina Jolie as an older Lara would've been better.

Young action stars have been the mold for so many decades now...
Let's try aging some lead characters once in awhile.
An interesting idea, but then if the games are going in a different direction...actually, no that's never been an issue in the past.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
Judging from looks alone, the casting is spot-on.

Also, she was Ava in Ex Machina, so she has some acting chops.

I'm actually a little excited now. This movie might actually be good.
She was in The Man from UNCLE and I enjoyed her in that, haven't seen her in anything else, so she may actually end up doing pretty good. Hell, if they don't over-do the special effects and actually make it more of an origin story, it'd be pretty damn cool.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
It won't feel like it's really based on the game if it doesn't show Laura getting impaled by one thing or another every 15 minutes. No really, what was with that game and impalement?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
#NotMyLara

THAT is Lara Croft. Hate me if you want, but I actually like the old Tomb Raider movies with Angelina Jolie. There's an undeniable charm to them.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Darth Rosenberg said:
Since when was a Bond-esque, imperialistic sociopath[1] a "strong original character"? I've played TR since its [PS1] debut, and reboot Lara's the first time I've ever actually fully empathised with or liked the character[2].

Also, do you have an issue with all heroes/protagonists who seem especially capable (y'know, which is a huge part of projected hero fantasies/mythologies), or just the female ones?

[1] Addressing any counter accusations of nu-Lara being a sociopath; yes, she transitions from her first traumatic kill to being A Videogame Protagonist With A Gun pretty damn quickly, but it's still important, as Rhianna Pratchett noted, that the narrative actually recognises that she crossed a line. Typically games never even try to address a psychological impact of murdering another human being. Also, as she also noted; it's still a game, and you couldn't have every kill 'be the first kill'. You have the story/character beat, and move on. It was a compromise.
[2] Though I'd say classic Lara was necessary for the '90's, and nu-Lara suited the immediate post-Katniss era.
I don't even know what to answer to this nonsense. I think one or two 'and' are OK, everything else is complete bullshit. Original Lara in 1-4 was a strong, capable and independent. There was any problem she could not solve, and her main weapon was always her brain. Nu-Lara just MYSTERIOUSLY survives traumas that would kill a hugeass marine, immediately learns how to use each and every gun she encounters, even though chances of her ever trying to shoot a rusty WWII Japanese shotgun are pretty thin, and I do not even mention her superstrength, complete cold resistance, and olympic-level endurance she displays, all while being portrayed as a 'sweet innocent girl, struggling, always in pain, fighting those obstacles!!!!'. This is a poorly written shitty fanfic, and NOT a Tomb Raider fanfic. And please, would you kindly take your -isms and shove them up your arse, and then go spoil some other classic franchise?

Bedinsis said:
Rastrelly said:
How is the reboot Lara Croft a Mary Sue, if the original wasn't?
Original LC was a narcissistic self-absorbed *****. The new one is supposed to be this noce little likeable poor girl we have to want to cuddle all the time, being beaten by this EVIL WORLD throwing EVERYTHING at her, and in suffering she OVERCOMES and OVERCOMES. This is a specific type of Mary Sue general archetype, the 'Sympathetic Sue' or 'Victim Sue', and it is built on evoking sympathy from character's constant suffering.