New Total War: Warhammer The Grim and The Grave DLC Launches Today Alongside More Free Content

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Total War: Warhammer The Grim and The Grave DLC Launches Today Alongside More Free Content

Total War Warhammer is adding two new DLCs today - one paid and one for free.

If you've been playing Total War: Warhammer, today is bringing a bunch more content for you to enjoy. Even better, some of it is completely free.

First up is the new DLC The Grim & The Grave. The first Lords pack for the game, it adds to both The Empire and The Vampire Counts. Included are two new Legendary Lords, two new Lord types, five new battlefield units with variants, five new custom and multiplayer battlefields, and 18 elite Regiments of Renown.

Here's the trailer for the new DLC:

Also releasing today is a free DLC that includes Vlad von Carstien, a new Legendary Lord for the Vampire Counts. He comes complete with his own skills and abilities, and he also has his own quest chain. Also included are five new battle maps.

If you'd like to see what The Grim & The Grave looks like in action, you can tune in to our previous broadcasts [https://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine/] of the new DLC.

[gallery=6452]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Didn't realize we were getting Vlad. That's actually pretty cool.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Nice! This is going to be such a great game once it's finally finished and out of Early Access!

Seriously though, I know the game isn't really in early access, but it might as well be. I see little point in buying games with such prodigious amounts of DLC until they are actually feature complete and I can buy the whole package for a reasonable price. Sure, that means I wait an extra year or two for some games, but as compensation I don't feel like I'm being screwed over if I want to play the whole game...

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Vlad seems a bit OP in my eyes.

All his units are allowed to be placed as if they where vanguard units.. meaning that they will allmost imidiantly be ontop of the enemy negating one of the undeads greatest weakness, no ranged units.

Otherwise most of the DLC isnt THAT good... all those special units are unable to gain experience and thus will eventually fall behind the more generic units.

The new legendary lord of the empire is really weak compared to his necromantic rival in the DLC, as soon as you upgrade him so he can ride his battle altar he becomes completly useless in melee. He will actually stop attacking and all the damage comes from impact from the altar itselfe wich acts as a chariot.. aka. completly useless without babysitting it all the time.. and god help you if the enemy ties you down with cheap cavalry units.

All in all thought you get a bunch of nice to have but not essential units for this DLC... and no artificial price fattener by including a shitty mini campaign thats completly unnecesary and bloats the price of a single faction to 20 effing euros... looking at you beastmen!

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Karadalis said:

All his units are allowed to be placed as if they where vanguard units.. meaning that they will allmost imidiantly be ontop of the enemy negating one of the undeads greatest weakness, no ranged units.

Otherwise most of the DLC isnt THAT good... all those special units are unable to gain experience and thus will eventually fall behind the more generic units.

The new legendary lord of the empire is really weak compared to his necromantic rival in the DLC, as soon as you upgrade him so he can ride his battle altar he becomes completly useless in melee. He will actually stop attacking and all the damage comes from impact from the altar itselfe wich acts as a chariot.. aka. completly useless without babysitting it all the time.. and god help you if the enemy ties you down with cheap cavalry units.

All in all thought you get a bunch of nice to have but not essential units for this DLC... and no artificial price fattener by including a shitty mini campaign thats completly unnecesary and bloats the price of a single faction to 20 effing euros... looking at you beastmen!
the total war dlc is really starting to climb in price im noticing, with that beastman dlc really being overpriced for what you get

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Karadalis said:

To be fair, this is in the faction without any ranged units, and Vlad can't be everywhere at once.

Jan 12, 2012
Czann said:
I'm only buying this game when they release the Lizardmen.
They haven't announced that they're even working on the Lizardmen or many of the other armies (other than a generic 'sure would like to make all the armies, maybe someday'). If the frogspawn do show up, it'll be in a big paid DLC that is years away, which they'll only make if this game does well.

If you want to wait years for something that may not even come out (though the community will probably put together a Lizardman mod is WH:TW goes under and distribute it under the radar), your prerogative, but it's going to be a hell of a long time coming one way or the other.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Starke said:
Karadalis said:

To be fair, this is in the faction without any ranged units, and Vlad can't be everywhere at once.
Eh.. more concerned with this in multyplayer matches, why take any other legendary lord if you can use him instead and not have to endure ranged fire for so long?

I can see this especially devastating with all the flying and cavalry units the undead have.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Karadalis said:
Starke said:
Karadalis said:

Eh.. more concerned with this in multyplayer matches, why take any other legendary lord if you can use him instead and not have to endure ranged fire for so long?

I can see this especially devastating with all the flying and cavalry units the undead have.
I could be wrong, but I think that's actually a faction ability. So you only get it in Campaign mode, and only if you have Vlad as your starting lord. If you start with a different lord, and recruit him, he won't get that ability. I doubt it works in multiplayer, though I haven't checked.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Karadalis said:
You are aware that the units of renown have stats as if they were rank 9, right? Seems so many youtubers also miss this fact.