New Total War: Warhammer Trailer Shows Off Chaos Warriors

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Total War: Warhammer Trailer Shows Off Chaos Warriors

Get a first look at the Chaos Warriors in the latest trailer for Creative Assembly's upcoming strategy game, Total War: Warhammer.

The newest trailer for Total War: Warhammer is here, and it shows off a first look at the Chaos Warriors. You'll see a variety of units, including the core infantry, Chaos Knights, Warhounds, Marauders, and Warriors. There's even a Chaos Giant in there.

You'll also get to see the Hellcannon, an artillery piece that turns souls into arcane energy bolts.

There's plenty of good looks at the Empire's forces as well in this nearly 19 minute video, and you'll hear developer commentary over it all.

If the Chaos Warriors look like your cup of tea, you'll want to pre-order Total War: Warhammer before it launches on Steam May 24, as only those who do so will be able to access them as a playable faction.

[gallery=6137]

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Doesnt change that the playable chaos lords are still hidden behind a pre-order/DLC wall... but dayum this game looks good.. i might actually be tempted to buy this total war game at launch... something i usualy highly advice against when it comes to total war games.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I'd be more interested in a 40k version. epic 40k with Titans and BFG ships between planets. Alas that will never happen because devs don't know how to make a fun game

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
RicoADF said:
I'd be more interested in a 40k version. epic 40k with Titans and BFG ships between planets. Alas that will never happen because devs don't know how to make a fun game
You get the battle fleet gothic part atleast at the end of this month, and from what ive seen and heard its quite the good little game.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't think 'trailer' is the appropriate word to describe 19 minute game demos?

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Karadalis said:
You get the battle fleet gothic part atleast at the end of this month, and from what ive seen and heard its quite the good little game.
It does look good. My enthusiasm was dampened by there not being any Necrons. But I will wait for the review, and details of the single player campaign, before I make up my mind.

OT; I will wait before I buy this game. It does look good, however, too many good looking games have been released that have reviewed poorly.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Karadalis said:
Doesnt change that the playable chaos lords are still hidden behind a pre-order/DLC wall... but dayum this game looks good.. i might actually be tempted to buy this total war game at launch... something i usualy highly advice against when it comes to total war games.
As a long time total war fan, the 40k universe just doesn't really "work" with what the series is about. ie Large scale line battles and generally realistic simulation.

008Zulu said:
OT; I will wait before I buy this game. It does look good, however, too many good looking games have been released that have reviewed poorly.
Again as a long time Total War fan, waiting for TW to come out before buying it is generally a wise idea.

Also devs doing "Let's Plays" of their own games really comes off strange to me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
008Zulu said:
Karadalis said:
It does look good. My enthusiasm was dampened by there not being any Necrons. But I will wait for the review, and details of the single player campaign, before I make up my mind.
The campaign is a non-linear crisis management senario.

In a rare display of competence for the Imperium, you already own all the territory (and thier benefits) and youll face attacks primarily from Chaos as they raise rebellions on planets but also from the Orks whose attacks increase in frequency with the number of worlds you lose to them. The Eldar and (presumably) the Space Marines will also be a feature as allies.

Your fleet will start out rather limited (3 light crusiers) but as you progress you can get access to more powerful ship classes, but dont think this means youll be spamming your battlecrusiers as from what i can tell you can face multiple incursions in one turn and youll have to break up your fleet to meet theese threats.

Destroyed ships will also be out of action until theyre rebiult (skills, upgrades and favors are not lost) and ships that retreat from battle have a decently high chance of being lost in the warp, also removing them for at least another turn.

What i dont know is the end goal of the campaign, nor how long its supposed to take.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am glad that this game is shaping up to be the proper introduction to the Warhammer Fantasy universe to a unfamiliar audiance. I have already read lore parts of this franchise and I am very intreagued.

Oh and I so want to play as the Dwarves with Mohawks, they look badass.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RicoADF said:
The problem with that is that the Total War series is built around large army battles in either a large field, castle/fortress sieges that most centers on melee combat and WH40k is too much of a different style of battles that is not compatible with the Total War gameplay. There is a reason why they have not made a World War II: Total War.

Yes they made Empire but those weapons are not automatic weapons and it takes forever to reload and even in that style of Warfare it still ends up with melee clashes along with Calvary.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I am glad that this game is shaping up to be the proper introduction to the Warhammer Fantasy universe to a unfamiliar audiance. I have already read lore parts of this franchise and I am very intreagued.

Dem slayers.. batshit insane suicidal maniacs... but they kick alot of butt.

To bad that the warhammer fantasy world doesnt exist anymore, replaced by this age of sigmar abomination. Games workshop really shit the bed with that one... what people asked for was a better rule system and being able to play with less minis.

What they got was having their beloved and one of the best fantasy settings destroyed and replaced with a big "FUCK YOU" of a non gaming system wich is completly unusable for competitive play and is full of flaws due to their rules light aproach.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Karadalis said:
Samtemdo8 said:

To bad that the warhammer fantasy world doesnt exist anymore, replaced by this age of sigmar abomination. Games workshop really shit the bed with that one... what people asked for was a better rule system and being able to play with less minis.

What they got was having their beloved and one of the best fantasy settings destroyed and replaced with a big "FUCK YOU" of a non gaming system wich is completly unusable for competitive play and is full of flaws due to their rules light aproach.
Well this game appears to be the last farewell and celebration of it.

Also how BAD is the Age of Sigmar setting from a lore perspective? I mean what happened and why is it bad?

All I know is that it introduced a new playable faction that looks like Golden-Blue Robot Angels.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
Karadalis said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Well this game appears to be the last farewell and celebration of it.

Also how BAD is the Age of Sigmar setting from a lore perspective? I mean what happened and why is it bad?

All I know is that it introduced a new playable faction that looks like Golden-Blue Robot Angels.
Where do i start...

Sigmar after the cataclysm drifted through space till he found some magic rock.. mind you with space i mean a total void of darkness. He fashioned some jewelry or something out of said magical stone then met up with some uber space dragon who really fancied said jewelry, dont ask where the dragon came from.. he was just chilling out in the nothingness of the void... and in exchange for said jewelry tought sigmar how to create worlds. Because thats what space dragons aparantly do... not using the powers himselfe mind you.. just teaching it to drifting space hobo in exchange for bling bling... that said space dragon could have created himselve if he had used their powers to.. you know create things, but thinking about this makes my head hurt...

So sigmar went on to create several "planes" of existance that are stacked ontop of each other or something, and invited ALL the gods of the old warhammer world into these realms, even made them themed after them, like the plane of the beast for the orks and the plane of death for the undead.. and yes... that means gork and mork AND the chaos gods. I mean what could go wrong with inviting these guys to the party right?

Kept for slanesh btw... slanesh stayed behind on the totaly blewn up but not really old warhammer world to gorge himselfe on elf souls... and then got cought in a golden cage by some big name elf wizard turned god or something. Yeah... one of the four chaos gods got him/her/itselfe trapped... in a golden cage... (guess slanesh wasnt PC enough anymore... cant wait for them to can him in warhammer 40k and the excuse they will have for that)

So ofcourse with the other 3 (and the horned rat) still mucking about as usual it didnt took long for shit to hit the hyperdrive. Turns out having a little community of gods around that like to beat the living crap out of each other isnt very conductive for world peace and so the chaos gods started doing what they are best at: sending armies out to trash everyones homes (or rather planes). Gork and mork also said "fuck this, were doing our own stuff" and their followers joined into the by now free for all.

Sigmar had locked himselfe up in the highest plane for some time by then and finaly had enough, sending his newly created "stormforged" aka Ground marines out to fight the chaos hordes... and everyone else is somehow trapped inbetween and fighting for surivival.

Sad part about all this? Nothing of that is made up... thats official lore as far as i know. They pretty much exchanged the very well made and fleshed out warhammer fantasy world... for a hammerfall metal cover... and just made shit up on the way.

EDITH:

Correction: the planes or "realms" are fashioned after the winds of magic, not the different races/gods

https://1d4chan.org/images/d/d7/Fantasy_Webway.jpeg

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer:_Age_of_Sigmar

This page goes alot more indepth about all this and has all the correct lore behind it, seems i got some things wrong after all, but nothing that makes this new setting any less ridiculus.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
After the dull "Empire: Total War", and the poorly executed "Rome 2", I'm really trying to not get my hopes up too much for this.

But I can't. This looks absolutely phenomenal. When the first Total War game came out, this is basically the game I dreamed of them one day creating.
Samtemdo8 said:

I don't play Warhammer, but apparently not only is the lore terrible, they also introduced a bunch of rules that basically made it into a kids game. Things like "if you yell 'for Sigmar!!' and jump up and down 3 times, you can re-roll your last attack".

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Ihateregistering1 said:
After the dull "Empire: Total War", and the poorly executed "Rome 2", I'm really trying to not get my hopes up too much for this.

But I can't. This looks absolutely phenomenal. When the first Total War game came out, this is basically the game I dreamed of them one day creating.
Samtemdo8 said:

I don't play Warhammer, but apparently not only is the lore terrible, they also introduced a bunch of rules that basically made it into a kids game. Things like "if you yell 'for Sigmar!!' and jump up and down 3 times, you can re-roll your last attack".
MY favourite one is where you have to pretend that youre riding a wooden horse around the table to get rerolls... cause the model that rule is for is totaly a madman yo...

Cause if you make these models completly ridiculus the people will stumble over each other to buy the new non ridiculus rule models right`?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ihateregistering1 said:

But they made Shogun 2 and that was well received.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
gigastar said:
Hmm.

Starting out with full control of a territory is an interesting change to the RTS style of gameplay. Not sure how well I'd play a game like that. My preferred strategy is to build up my base & forces, then go roll over anything in my path.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
008Zulu said:
gigastar said:
Hmm.

Starting out with full control of a territory is an interesting change to the RTS style of gameplay. Not sure how well I'd play a game like that. My preferred strategy is to build up my base & forces, then go roll over anything in my path.

He's referring to Battle Fleet Gothic. You can't build a base. You're in space!

I do like how half the posts on this thread are about a totally different game. I for one am looking forward to both Battlefleet Gothic AND Total Warhammer.
I will, however, not pick up TW until 6 months after release to give the devs time to actually make the game work properly.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Li Mu said:
In Star Trek Armada you had shipyards to build ships, and space stations to research tech upgrades. Even the ships in Gothic have to be built somewhere.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
008Zulu said:
Li Mu said:
In Star Trek Armada you had shipyards to build ships, and space stations to research tech upgrades. Even the ships in Gothic have to be built somewhere.
Well in BFG, ships are built in the ship build window. :-D