New Trailer Shows Street Fighter V's First DLC Character in Action

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
New Trailer Shows Street Fighter V's First DLC Character in Action

Capcom has released a new trailer, showcasing Street Fighter V's first downloadable character, Alex, in action.

Capcom today released a trailer showing off Alex, the first post-launch downloadable character to join the Street Fighter V roster, in action. Alex first debuted in Street Fighter III in 1997, and will be available later today for PlayStation 4 and PC users alike.

Capcom previously announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141626-Street-Fighter-V-Post-Release-Gameplay-Content-Can-Be-Earned-For-Free] that DLC would be available using in-game currency, aka Fight Money. That will go live as part of today's update, alongside Alex being made available. Since the In-Game Shop for real currency - Zenny - still isn't available yet, Alex will be free to all players for a trial period, as will be the case for all future DLC characters that may release before the Zenny shop goes live. After that point, players will use either Fight Money, Zenny, or their Season Passes to get the characters. Earlier this week the first part of the update released, adding Challenge Mode, Trials, a rematch option, and assorted bug fixes.

"Finally, as a way of thanking players for their patience and understanding throughout the beta phases and game launch, Capcom is making Ryu and Chun-Li's Story Mode Costumes available for free to all users beginning today," Capcom revealed. "This is an 80,000 Fight Money value; almost the full amount of a new character. Capcom is planning to release a steady stream of new characters, modes and other enhancements throughout the year and the Street Fighter V team is excited to begin the robust post launch support this week."

[gallery=6112]

Obbi

May 7, 2008
I'm still mildly amused at the constant buffering between time placements. Street Fighter 3 takes place in an odd future, with even stranger characters. I'm anticipating them eventually retconning the whole thing.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Man, I can't get over how crazy his eyes look in this new art style, now he looks more like Hogan then ever XD

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
*Me prior to seeing this trailer* meh, I never had an interest for Alex, he looked kinda cool in SFIII But I'm not on the edge of my seat.
*Me after seeing this trailer* Yooooooooooooooooooo! I gotta take him for a spin!

also am I the only one seeing this weird colour changing shenanigans with the forum posts? and if so WHAT THE FUCK NOW!? *begins to scrub browser for random attachware*

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
EMWISE94 said:
*Me prior to seeing this trailer* meh, I never had an interest for Alex, he looked kinda cool in SFIII But I'm not on the edge of my seat.
*Me after seeing this trailer* Yooooooooooooooooooo! I gotta take him for a spin!

also am I the only one seeing this weird colour changing shenanigans with the forum posts? and if so WHAT THE FUCK NOW!? *begins to scrub browser for random attachware*
I see them too. Weird stuff.

OT: He looks great. He feels a lot more agressive than his 3rd Strike persona.

Now if only I had a PS4 or a good PC.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*Looks at photo 4* They have his fierce kick "Super-boot"!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Obbi said:
I'm still mildly amused at the constant buffering between time placements. Street Fighter 3 takes place in an odd future, with even stranger characters. I'm anticipating them eventually retconning the whole thing.
I had thought and hoped V would take place after III considering all the appearance changes. Plus part of III's plot if I remember right, has Alex meeting Ryu for the first time, so having both in V kinda messes that up. Fighting games oddly have really interesting plots. Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, all appeal to me cause of their story. Street Fighter would too, if they made it make any fucking sense. Too many non-canon endings and unclear events.

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Saelune said:
Obbi said:
I had thought and hoped V would take place after III considering all the appearance changes. Plus part of III's plot if I remember right, has Alex meeting Ryu for the first time, so having both in V kinda messes that up. Fighting games oddly have really interesting plots. Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, all appeal to me cause of their story. Street Fighter would too, if they made it make any fucking sense. Too many non-canon endings and unclear events.
The issue with V being after 3S is that the roster would effectively be Third Strike's roster, the second least well received roster in franchise history. By that time period, Gief, Dhalsim, Guile, Charlie, Vega, Balrog, Bison and Cammy are all retired or dead. While hardcore 3S fans would want their roster imported wholesale, it wouldn't be Third Strike, and it wouldn't be enough for a new game, so what would it be?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
monkeymangler said:
Saelune said:
Obbi said:
The issue with V being after 3S is that the roster would effectively be Third Strike's roster, the second least well received roster in franchise history. By that time period, Gief, Dhalsim, Guile, Charlie, Vega, Balrog, Bison and Cammy are all retired or dead. While hardcore 3S fans would want their roster imported wholesale, it wouldn't be Third Strike, and it wouldn't be enough for a new game, so what would it be?
Well one, how many of those characters are confirmed dead in 3. A lot of it seems vague, but as Ive said, SFs plot is so messy that I'm not as versed as I am in others. Second, Charlie Nash, (Bison too). Capcom isn't above reviving the dead. Id say bring about the characters that -are- still around. Could also bring old characters later as "What if" situations since according to them, V is supposed to be a game supported and expanded on instead of doing what past games did (Super, Turbo, Arcade, etc). I don't mind when characters are gone due to plot, since plot is a major draw for me. MKX did what ifs, since it has old Liu Kang and Kung Lao even though canonically they are dead/possessed. More than anything I just want SF to be clear and consistent in its plot...or say fuck it and remove plot entirely, which would then eliminate the need for old Bison and frankenNash.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Capcom: We do fully intend to release a complete game, eventually. And we hope people will still care about it by then.

Jan 19, 2016
ravenshrike said:
Apparently someone was playing Final Fight while watching old WWF footage when they came up with Alex's design because he's quite literally a direct cross between Hulk Hogan and Haggar.
Actually, Alex is meant to be a cross between Hulk Hogan and Axl Rose.