New Transformers Game Comes Over All Emotive

jakelly

Oct 18, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
BTW what's that everyone has against Bayformer designs? I'm beginning to think I'm indeed the only one who likes those complicated tech designs.
there too complicated though, the G1 designs (not saying they should of kept them though) were waaaay more simple and easier to look at.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow they missed the mark with this one, christ you aren't selling a fucking romantic comedy... or maybe they are.
Actually it doesn't matter, because the trailer is not in any way related to the game and the game will most likely be as the previous ones, complete piss.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Do you know why I made my Tau Stealthsuits black and purple like the War For Cybertron Decepticons? It's because I COULDN'T FUCKING SEE the Decepticons. I do hope this has changed in FoC. I understand the concept of cammoflague(sp), and I understand it wouldn't make a lick of difference to robots who probably have more ways of seeing than I have ways of doing anything.

Sgt. Sykes said:
Yes, but (sorry if I'm missing something), didn't Transformers start as toys and animated TV series? Of course they had to be simple. Bayformers (as shitty as the movies are) were what convinced me HD video actually makes sense. And I hever had problems watching them... But hey, I was raised on Quake 3 arena, where one needs to maintain good visual orientation, so that might be a factor.
Transformers started out as a toy line which got an animated show. A few of the G1 transformers toys don't look like their animated forms, Ratchet being the most glaring example; he turned from an ambulance into what seemed to be some sort of field operating table, and wasn't even humanoid.

jakelly

Oct 18, 2011
Sgt. Sykes said:
jakelly said:
there too complicated though, the G1 designs (not saying they should of kept them though) were waaaay more simple and easier to look at.
Yes, but (sorry if I'm missing something), didn't Transformers start as toys and animated TV series? Of course they had to be simple. Bayformers (as shitty as the movies are) were what convinced me HD video actually makes sense. And I hever had problems watching them... But hey, I was raised on Quake 3 arena, where one needs to maintain good visual orientation, so that might be a factor.

I get what your saying, and to be fair if in the films they looked like they do in these games that would of sucked even more. if think high moon have got it just right with these games actually. not too simple, not too complex.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
I don't get why people complain about the music. These are supposed to be Cybertron's final hours. What kind of tune would you like ? It sets the theme for a world going down the drain.

I haven't played the first (although God only knows how much I wanted to) but this looks extremely promising. Never forget, it is a licenced game. It can still suck. I like the direction they took though.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
There's been a little too much Grimlock pimpin' for the new game. I get why: The character is hugely popular, but now it's gone to the teevees, it's time to throttle it back.

The first game was a solid romp and had some great moments but I get why people wouldn't jump on the bandwagon; the story, while true to the characters, didn't give quite enough emotional heft to catch people who may not care about giant robots beating the hell out of one another. Improve upon it AND make that fanservice happen and you'll have something.

There are plenty of characters. There's plenty of time to make some matter, then turn the spotlight to others and actually make a really cool story where sacrifices matter, because the nuts and bolts of the gameplay are good enough to carry it (with standard progressions, of course.)

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Yet, the ending made me feel like the war can't be taken so seriously. If he changed to something moderate or believable (yeah I know, it's a cartoon/fiction game but still) then it'd have more meaning in my eyes.
Don't worry... it still doesn't make any god damn sense. Grimlock that exists on Cybertron should be a Tank, and this BS with Shockwave is just dumb.

arc1991 said:
I mean in this game, that is the story behind Grimlock in this game :p

And when the hell did Grimlock ever command the Autobots? o_O
Only in the TV series was Grimlock portrayed as stupid. In the comics, he had a glitch in his speech... program... thing (I've forgotten what they called it exactly) that made him sound dumb. Grimlock took that glitch and made it an advantage, using it so people would think he was stupid, but he was really a tactical genius.

When Optimus died, the Autobots were seeking a new leader, Grimlock, at the time, was exiled, if I recall correctly, but when him and his Dinobots defeated Trypticon by themselves to save some humans, the Autobots were like "He's strong, defends the weak, and can get shit done! He should be leader!"

From what I understand, it was a fairly tyrannical rule. Grimlock hates weaklings, but hates those that pick on the weak even more.

Sgt. Sykes said:
BTW what's that everyone has against Bayformer designs? I'm beginning to think I'm indeed the only one who likes those complicated tech designs.
Two problems with complicated tech designs. They are too busy, and thus ugly to look at, or unfocused, and they are unrealistic. When you are making a machine, you want as few moving parts as you can manage for one reason, and one reason alone. The more moving parts you have, the more parts you have, that can break. Simplicity is key.

OT:

I'm not a fan of the song they played... I get that it's a last stand and the like, but I'm not feeling it.

And what the hell is with these transformations? It's more like Beast Machines were they just get enveloped within themselves then come out changed. Where's the actual transformations?

I have a bad feeling about this game, what with the liberties they've taken on things like the Dinobots, the removal of co-op play, and the introduction of Halo health... but like I've said before... I'll probably still play it for Grimlock...

I hate myself...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
Anyway, as for the 2nd part, I'm not so sure. Remember Transformers are (IIRC) basicaly lifeforms which evolved/appeared more or less naturally.
This is not true. They were built, along with Cybertron, by the Quintessons.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Great trailer, nice to see Jazz taking out Soundwave and Ironhide giving a knuckle sandwich to Starscream. Also good to see the combiners finally in the game, even though it's only Bruticus.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Draconalis said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
Anyway, as for the 2nd part, I'm not so sure. Remember Transformers are (IIRC) basicaly lifeforms which evolved/appeared more or less naturally.
This is not true. They were built, along with Cybertron, by the Quintessons.
In the cartoons, yes, but i remember reading somewhere that the God Primus and Unicron had a huge battle, both got badly damaged, Unicron retreated to far space and Primus transformed into Cybertron, where it took many years to rebuild himself, once he was okay again, he constructed smaller robots (the Autobots and Decepticons) to help protect him should Unicron ever return, however these robots gained personalities (because the "Sparks" come from primus's spark) some obviously had differences, and so begins the war :p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
Draconalis said:
Two problems with complicated tech designs. They are too busy, and thus ugly to look at, or unfocused, and they are unrealistic. When you are making a machine, you want as few moving parts as you can manage for one reason, and one reason alone. The more moving parts you have, the more parts you have, that can break. Simplicity is key.
So, confirmed I'm the only one who likes to watch complicated bots.

Anyway, as for the 2nd part, I'm not so sure. Remember Transformers are (IIRC) basicaly lifeforms which evolved/appeared more or less naturally. They have the right to be complicated, they're not just simple robots. If you compare Bayformers with a human body, the design is not so unreasonable. And Transfomers have no skin so the machinery is exposed and thus not smooth. And who knows what all those parts (machine organs) are supposed to do. We don't even understand our bodies so well.

But, again, I like complicated machinery. H.R. Giger anyone? Or the Borg?
Neh i don't mind them, hell who doesn't love this?

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
arc1991 said:
In the cartoons, yes, but i remember reading somewhere that the God Primus and Unicron had a huge battle, both got badly damaged, Unicron retreated to far space and Primus transformed into Cybertron, where it took many years to rebuild himself, once he was okay again, he constructed smaller robots (the Autobots and Decepticons) to help protect him should Unicron ever return, however these robots gained personalities (because the "Sparks" come from primus's spark) some obviously had differences, and so begins the war :p
That backstory originally started out with the Marvel Comics in the 80's. It has however since become the backstory for 90% of all current incarnations of the Franchise. The Quintessons have (asides a small throwaway line in Transformers Animated) been forgotten about - i.e: RetCon.

OT: I liked this Trailer. The game itself should be good, though I may have to buy a console at some point -_-

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I hate Bumblebee and yet I found myself feeling kind of sad for the yellow bastard in the trailer.

War for Cybertron just works so much better for me than the movies do because the game updates the look of the robots in cool ways without me ever having to ask who the hell is that. It's cool to be able to get my geek on going holy crap it's the Combaticons!