New US ISP sanctioned/controlled piracy database will mean the end to internet privacy.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
http://torrentfreak.com/database-of-u-s-internet-pirates-will-be-decentralized-110906/

Read. It.

I don't, have never, and plan to never pirate stuff, but this is RIDCOULOUS.

This is worse than the ACTA, COICA, and PROTECT IP act COMBINED!

There are so much flaws with this it's not even funny:

- Blantent disregard of privacy and god knows how many amendments
- Will be controlled ENTIRELY by the ISPs, IE: private companies
- ALL of them are doing it
- Does not difrentinate between a legimate file and a illegal one
- A appeal leads to an "inpdendent review", not the legal courts
- They can slow down or shut of your service based on where you go.

I'm sorry, but how the **** are we going to let this happen?

The worst part is, it's not a bill, so it's entirely out of our senators hands. The only way to stop this would be to have our goverment tell the ISPs they cannont do this, and we all know thats not going to happen.

What can we do?

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
WHAT THE FUCK!?

I don't condone piracy, but this is even MORE deplorable. God damn it, this is literally something Orwell could cook up.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Pandaman1911 said:
WHAT THE FUCK!?

I don't condone piracy, but this is even MORE deplorable. God damn it, this is literally something Orwell could cook up.
I'm tempted to make a picture of a owrwell with a trollface, but this is so bad it's not even funny.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
Wait, this surprises you? I'm not saying this is right, but as long as people are using media that they haven't paid for, this was going to happen. I'm not saying that piracy is always bad, (i.e. it isn't available to you in your country or whatever) but people being saying things like "I'll pay for it if I like it" or "The companies have a lot of money, this won't hurt them" was only pushing towards this outcome. People who torrent things illegally have brought this on themselves, and I'm not really all that sympathetic...

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
Well we could all cancel our internet. Nope. There's no way this can be legal. Maybe if enough people know about this, there will be protests and maybe the government might do something about it.

Some people thought Google street view was an invasion of privacy, wait until they see this.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
You know, if you didn't pirate things, you wouldn't have to worry about it. Saying you are concerned with this sort-of thing is more or less admitting to piracy, since it wouldn't bother you in the slightest if you didn't illegally download things.

yookiwooki

Dec 3, 2010
Good opportunity for a nationwide civil disobedience campaign. They cant punish 50 million offences.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Stall said:
You know, if you didn't pirate things, you wouldn't have to worry about it. Saying you are concerned with this sort-of thing is more or less admitting to piracy, since it wouldn't bother you in the slightest if you didn't illegally download things.
Private companies getting ahold of your private security details? No. . . No worries m8. Its all cool.

ThatDaveDude1

Feb 7, 2011
Stall said:
It won't bother you from a practical standpoint if you don't illegally download.

It can still bother you on principle regardless.
_

Men can still care about Women's Rights. Straight people can still care about Gay Rights. Human beings can still care about Animal Rights.

Why do you feel that in this one area people need to be directly affected to give a shit, when they don't have to be in any other?

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Nikolaz72 said:
Private companies getting ahold of your private security details? No. . . No worries m8. Its all cool.
Nope. None at all. I'm not doing anything incriminating, so why should it bother me? The only reason you WOULD get bothered is if those details implicated you in something.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
ThatDaveDude1 said:
It won't bother you from a practical standpoint if you don't illegally download.

It can still bother you on principle regardless.
_

Men can still care about Women's Rights. Straight people can still care about Gay Rights. Human beings can still care about Animal Rights.

Why do you feel that in this one area people need to be directly affected to give a shit, when they don't have to be in any other?
Did you just draw a parallel between piracy and women's/gay rights? Um, alright... that's an interesting analogy. Piracy is kind of illegal you know. Last time I checked, it wasn't a basic human right like, say what women's/gay rights and such.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Stall said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Nope. None at all. I'm not doing anything incriminating, so why should it bother me? The only reason you WOULD get bothered is if those details implicated you in something.
I dont want the ISP's to know my phone number, my families names and locations. The worth of my house. My email address. Yada yada yada, and so on. Without my consent.

No, Im not against people watching pirates. The Protect IP as such cut internet from people downloading illigaly. Why should they have the ability to cut internet.. From everyone, nomatter what they are downloading?

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Bit Torrent has always been a risky proposition for pirates. Most of the people I know that pirate (not me though, nope never . . . I swear) have long since relied on Usenet or take other measures to mask their IP when they have no choice but to use bit torrent. Sure a good usenet provider does indeed cost a little bit of money per month but there is a LOT to be said for usenet over bit torrent. . . . . for those filthy pirates, not me.

Damn! I broke the first rule of usenet, never talk about usenet.

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Theres still one major issue they are missing: a lot of piracy these days comes from what is referred to as "Rent and rip", they rent a dvd for a buck or 3 then rip it. Not entirely free piracy but still a hell of a discount.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Stall said:
Good.

Why not tape a camera onto your face and have it broadcast onto TV 24/7?

What?
You value your privacy now?

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Sober Thal said:
I don't see the internet as a God given right, and the 'Freedom of Information' BS just pisses me off as an excuse for piracy.

I say this is a great step in the fight against the spoiled internet thief.
You're right, please post your full name, social security number, home phone number, address, birthday, and mother maiden name . . . . . that is unless you have something to hide.