New Video Shows Off Skyward Sword Item Upgrades

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Video Shows Off Skyward Sword Item Upgrades

Monsters drop materials and materials become upgrades: It's worked well for other games, so why not Skyward Sword?

One of the new things that Nintendo is trying with Skyward Sword [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BSC54I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1HQX6ACTR3S1H0127PGN&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] is an item upgrade system, and because it's such a new idea for the series, Nintendo has brought out a new video that reveals exactly how the mysterious process happens.

The actual system itself is pretty simple. You slay monsters, the monsters drop raw materials like amber relics or claws, and then you take these raw materials to the Skyloft "Scrap Shop" where they're used to upgrade your gear. It's hardly the most innovative system in the world, but it's a welcome addition to the Legend of Zelda series. I will say this though, I wish Nintendo had picked a later upgrade; item upgrades are never going to be super-exciting, but there must be more interesting upgrades than "wooden shield" to "banded shield."

The video suggests that quite a lot of Link's gear is going to be upgradeable. While only his shield and slingshot were shown, there were also ten empty spaces, which will almost certainly all be filled by the end of the game. So far, the items that have been confirmed as upgradeable are the aforementioned shield and slingshot, the flying bug, and red potions. Items like the boomerang and bow also seem likely, as well as green and blue potions.

We don't have long to wait too much longer before we find out; Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out for the Wii on November 20th.

Source: MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/09/13/zelda-skyward-sword-weapon-crafting]

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Upgrading a Wooden Shield into a Wooden Shield got me excited. Marketing of Nintendo... uhh..

Tanfastic

Aug 5, 2009
Art Axiv said:
Upgrading a Wooden Shield into a Wooden Shield got me excited. Marketing of Nintendo... uhh..
Woah woah woah, the upgrade was the design! It must be some kind of mystical design that boosts its performance.

/sarcasm

But in all seriousness, I hope the upgrade system has a whole ton of better and more unique ways to upgrade things.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm only reminded of the upgrade sidequests in A Link to the Past. Those were pretty huge deals back then.

Not sure if maybe I'd prefer something along those lines over what we're seeing in this video, so I guess I'll just wait and see how the system works on a larger scale.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Tanfastic said:
Art Axiv said:
Woah woah woah, the upgrade was the design! It must be some kind of mystical design that boosts its performance.

/sarcasm

But in all seriousness, I hope the upgrade system has a whole ton of better and more unique ways to upgrade things.
Call me a sceptic, but that shield could be named Wooden Shield+1 for all I care (at this point, I've realized I'm probably not the target audience for this game).

Also, if I'd keep seeing the trademark "You've received an item" pose of Link so often as shown on the video... I'd be annoyed.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Art Axiv said:
Tanfastic said:
Art Axiv said:

/sarcasm

Call me a sceptic, but that shield could be named Wooden Shield+1 for all I care (at this point, I've realized I'm probably not the target audience for this game).

Also, if I'd keep seeing the trademark "You've received an item" pose of Link so often as shown on the video... I'd be annoyed.
You picked up 10 rupees. "Ba da ba daaaaaaa"
You picked up a long sword. "Ba da ba daaaaaa""
You picked up claws. "Ba da ba daaaaaaa"
You picked up 15 rupees. "Ba da ba daaaaaa"

Cutting grass for loot will never be the same again.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
am i the only one who thought of just 'cause 2 when link jumped off his bird?

crepesack said:
Art Axiv said:
Tanfastic said:
Art Axiv said:

/sarcasm

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

there's never been a fifteen rupee.

that is all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I guessing some those extra 50 hours mention in the last LoZ news is farming for those materials for the upgrades. I swear Nintendo don't make some of the materials super rare!

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
crepesack said:
Art Axiv said:
Tanfastic said:
Art Axiv said:

/sarcasm

Lol. It looks to me like an upgrade from a wooden shield to a wooden shield with a metal rim.
I agree it isn't exactly mind-blowing, but it makes sense that a wooden shield reinforced with metal is much stronger than one just made of wood.

As for that other thing... I take it you haven't played many zelda games then? XD

Back in the day, you'd pick up 1 rupee, and it would do just what you're implying here.

But it's nowhere near as bad as you're thinking, because with a handful of exceptions (that seem to be due to crappy items contained in chests), this only happens the very first time you collect an item of any given type.

So... The first time you collect a 1 rupee gem...
First time you get 5.
First time you get 20.

The first time you pick up an arrow...

And so on.

But it doesn't happen a second time. And because this is zelda after all, I feel fairly confident in assuming the behaviour of this new game when it comes to collectiong items will be exactly the same as all the games that have come before it.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
One of the new things that Nintendo is trying with Skyward Sword is an item upgrade system, and because it's such a new idea for the series, Nintendo has brought out a new video that reveals exactly how the mysterious process happens.
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Gilded_Sword

It's not new, it's been done before, the only difference is that monsters drop the materials now

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Monsters dropping loot really isn't that new, Windwaker had a similar thing going.

But constantly finding trinkets to upgrade seems a bit tedious.

(But my favorite Zelda is Windwaker so what do I know)

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Did anyone else wonder how a wooden shield + jelly + a monster claw + 2 Amber relics somehow make a wooden shield with a leather band? Also item descriptions in LoZ games seem to have gone down in quality lately...